• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ian Kennedy to the Padres

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros got very little in return for bud Norris! I am not a huge fan of the guy but we could have gotten him for Chris owings and another mid level prospect.

I really don't like Norris at all. His value was inflated due to the minuscule market for starting pitching.

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a good deal for the Dbacks.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty stupid that we pitched Kennedy yesterday. Pretty much gave the Rays the game from the get go.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling trading Kennedy will jump start the team. So happy to see him off the d'backs. I cannot believe that we got anything of value for him.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a great deal for the Dbacks. Got a great reliever for the present and a potential great reliever for the future. Kennedy may do well at Petco Park, but I really don't give a fuck.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a great deal for the Dbacks. Got a great reliever for the present and a potential great reliever for the future. Kennedy may do well at Petco Park, but I really don't give a fuck.

Exactly. I don't care what Kennedy does somewhere else... it's about how terrible he was for us. Getting rid of that makes us better alone.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably one of the few Padre fans who doesn't mind this trade. I don't think the Padres gave up much. I mean the draft pick is a crap shoot & Towers is HORRIBLE when it comes to the draft. At least he was in San Diego. He gave new meaning to the word PATHETIC on draft day. He passed up Verlander or Weaver for Matt Bush. There was a draft in which he passed on Carl Crawford like 5 times & none of the guys he took made the big leagues. Granted I'm not a fan of Byrnes. I hated the Latos trade, but if any ballpark can help a pitcher it's Petco. We know Kennedy is a proven quality pitcher. He's simply got to figure out how to finish batters off. His numbers with 2 strikes are awful this year.

Thatcher is just a situational reliever. Losing Stites isn't that big of a deal to me. We've got Quackenbush & Madrid who could be closers. The Padres have plenty of arms in their system.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one thing I will never forget about Ian Kennedy. In game 5 of the NLCS in 2011, Chris Young made one of the greatest catches I have ever seen when he caught that ball off the bat of Jerry Hariston running full speed towards the center field wall. It was beyond a fantastic catch and it saved the game. Yet on the very next batter, Yuniesky Betancourt, Kennedy gave up a run scoring single and the Brewers took the lead.

Kennedy gets one of the greatest defensive plays in the d'backs and maybe even baseball history and he just could not capitalize on the momentum. He still blew the game. I have disliked him ever since that game. He sucked last year and this year he has been the worst pitcher in the organization. I could not be happier that he is no longer on the d'backs.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Kennedy somehow had managed to turn it around this season with a sub 4.00 ERA as a Dback, there were always 3 strikes against him remaining a Dback. One, he was an upper echelon arbitration case. Two, he is a Boras client. And three, The Dbacks have a plethora of young very good farm arms that need an opportunity to pitch regularly in the bigs.

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't bet my money on it, but watch Kennedy return to 2011 form with the Padres.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't like Norris at all. His value was inflated due to the minuscule market for starting pitching.

My sentiments exactly. The Orioles have been so desperate for a fifth starter all season that were willing to take what they could get.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for you, padre fans! Josh Byrnes worked his "magic" around here for years...

We sure miss Towers. He had a plan and stuck to it. Every move he made was logical and left no one confused. For the life of me, I can't believe Byrnes sees sense in paying Street and Quentin a combined $16.5M.

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sentiments exactly. The Orioles have been so desperate for a fifth starter all season that were willing to take what they could get.
And that's all Norris is, a fifth starter. Not an ace, the only reason he was the Astros' "ace" is because... well they're the Astros.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sure miss Towers. He had a plan and stuck to it. Every move he made was logical and left no one confused. For the life of me, I can't believe Byrnes sees sense in paying Street and Quentin a combined $16.5M.

Totally agree about KT. He has definitely made some heads crating moves during his time in the desert but overall, you can feel their is a sense of direction. He constructs a team based on some philosophy as opposed to josh Byrnes who mix and matches with very little conceptual vision.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people think Ian Kennedy will magically become an ace again just because he's in Petco? He's been the most consistently terrible player in the majors this year. His ERA will be lower and he may scrounge up a few extra wins (we've been waiting since June for the next one ourselves), but he's still garbage. Maybe next year he works out whatever issues he's dealing with? I'm not worried about him biting the Dbacks when they play SD...SD has stomped all over us without him so with him it can only get better for AZ.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that I'm sure factored into the decision to go after Kennedy was the fact that we believe we have the best pitching coach in the game in Darren Balsley. No doubt Balsley feels he can help him. Would be amazing for us to have an innings-eating pitcher with a sub-4 ERA.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's all Norris is, a fifth starter. Not an ace, the only reason he was the Astros' "ace" is because... well they're the Astros.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely did not say I wanted bud Norris. The only pitcher I wanted was cliff lee but the asking price and salary were way too high! It would be nice to get a potential ace like lee for a playoff run, but those players are usually far and in between. Norris would have cost very little in terms of quality prospects and may have been our 4th or 5th starter if b-Mac or Cahill struggle. He can then compete for a spot in the rotation next year or be a puzzle piece to a future trade. I would still stick with owings but I would not have "freaked out" if that trade went down.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a useless trade for us. Why give up prospects for a reliever when what we really need is solid starting pitching?