• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many things to take away form this game, and none of them should be full blown panic. Reading some of comments in the first half was really disturbing. It's okay to be upset, but to throw in the towel on the season is absolutely ridiculous. Estrogen levels high ladies? Haha, just teasing -- but c'mon fellas!!

Everyone wrote the Patriots off last year when the Dolphins beat the Patriots week 1, and in week 4 when KC steamrolled NE 41-14.

Everyone wrote off the Packers off when the Seahawks smacked them 36-16 week one. Then Packers went 1-3 on the season, losing to DET week 3.

Our performance in the first half was absolutely disgusting.
On offense:
-Our o-line was a complete mess
-Bradford was getting beat up and wasn't consistent in his throws and reads
-Our coaching staff abandoned the run game (pretty for for the whole game)
-Our WRs weren't always on the same page with Bradford *cough* Huff *cough*

What I was impressed with - Bradford took some big hits and got up. He didn't look scared in the pocket either. Yes, he made some poor decisions with pressure in his face, but he didn't get happy feet when the pocket got muddy - which was good to see.

I'm not going to sit here and say Jason Peters is done. I think he still has a good amount left in the gas tank. Vic Beasley is an extremely explosive pass rusher who will be a star soon -- it just wasn't Peters day blocking the speed rush. This new look Atlanta defense had the Eagles offense puzzled in the first half.

2nd half adjustments: Very good job done here, but we still did not commit to the running game as much as we should of. More than the 1st half, but that's not saying much. The running lanes were there, and we obviously have the RBs to run -- we just did not commit and we went pass happy. There was still a good amount of time left in the game to go to the running game, especially with our tempo.

Regardless, our offense was playing at a much higher level in the 2nd half. We made adjustments, and our o-line starting playing much better. We were able to build some drives and get their defense gassed. Sam had more time in the pocket and made some real nice plays -- I liked what I saw from him in the 2nd half once his pocket got cleaned up a little bit. That 3rd and 1 run by Matthews was a big disappointment, just looks like his feet got tripped up and he went down quickly. I like Matthews as a runner a good amount, but Murray is definitely the more physical of the two -- I would've liked to see Murray in that situation, he is extremely hard to bring down on first contact.

I don't blame the coaching decision to go for the field goal - I'm more upset that we didn't put Murray in on 3rd and 1 and smash him up the middle. When we sent in Parkey, I just knew this kid was going to shank it. He's been shaky all off-season, I don't know whats up with him. He looked like a stud last year. This is an issue to keep an eye on.

Overall penalties really hurt us as well. An unnecessary hold on Kelce on one screen pass. His guy wasn't even going to make the play and Kelce flung him to the ground and got an easy call against us, on a big play too. The other hold on Kelce for another big play hurt as as well -- I really didn't see much on this hold and I thought it was a bad call. A lot of suspect calls overall, but that is not why we lost this game -- just didn't help us pull it out.

On defense. That first half performance was absolutely embarrassing. Man, I really thought our front 7 was going to come out and dominate an average (at best) Falcons o-line. We weren't able to get our hands on the WRs and disrupt the timing of plays neither -- Atlanta did a good job stacking WRs and forcing us into zone coverage, but it was embarrassing to watch our front get stonewalled by the Falcons o-line. I get it, Atlanta ran a lot of max protect -- but we didn't use any kind of creativity on blitzing to create some pass rush. Matt Ryan just sat back there, Tall, all the time in the world, and waited for his WRs to run by our DBs.

We made some good adjustments in the 2nd half and for the most part the defense played very good. They played the 2nd half, like I thought they were going to play all game….but once again, new look Atlanta offense with Kyle Shanahan calling the plays -- we just looked puzzled on D in the first half.

That 3rd and 15 draw play hurt more than anything in the 2nd half. Julio Jones bomb was to be expected in 1 half of football, that kid is a superstar and you won't be able to contain him all game….but a 3rd and 15 draw play, when we have all the momentum and ATL's defense is absolutely gassed -- about to go 3 and out and have our clicking offense get back onto the field…..then Coleman runs for a first, man that was a huge, huge play. Game changer. We stop them there and I guarantee we win that game. Then they drove down the field, took time off the clocked, gave some rest to their defense, and kicked a FG.

Excluding that drive and a Julio Jones bomb, our defense did what they were supposed to do in the 2nd half. Unforuntately we dug ourselves a big hole in the first half.

PS That Kiko Alonso holding call at the end of the first half was a play that usually defeats a team. We go from a sack strip recovery, and a chance to end the half in great position to make a run…but a ticky tack holding call kills that play and the Falcons score a TD on the next play to Julio. That's usually a back breaker. At the least, it's very encouraging that our boys still came out in the 2nd half and really had a great chance of pulling off a huge comeback. We stop that 3rd and 15, and I think we win.

This team is new to each other, lot's of new faces. Might take a little time to start clicking fully. The Falcons are in a similar situation. New personal (not as much as us) and scheme for the Falcons made them a hard week 1 team to prepare for -- no excuse as our first half performance was pitiful, but I was impressed with the 2nd half adjustments. I still think this team has a chance to be very good this year -- I'm not ruling out 12-4 at all. We need to commit to the running game, which will help our o-line and Bradford as well. Our defensive front 7 needs to start playing up to their ability and the secondary needs to continue to work on their technique.

Don't jump ship just yet fellas, it's a long season. These fuckers cost me a lot of money last night, but I still have plenty of faith in this team and in this season.

Adversity makes teams strong -- I think we have the character to become stronger from this. Time will tell.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the pass happy, I found it disturbing as an overall number, but not really watching it. I love the fact that they adjusted and found something that worked, rather than stubbornly going with something that was not.

On a game by game basis, you find what works and you just keep doing it. The New England Patriots last year had 5 different games where they rushed it 20 or less times...and 5 games where they rushed it 30 or more.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminded me of that damn Cardinals playoff game. Fitz destroys us in the first half while the offense looks embarrassing. And reversing in the 2nd half and coming up short.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lose next week and people will be jumping.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lose next week and people will be jumping.

Home opener to the Dez-less cowgirls -- one bad quarter and people will be jumping ship. Hell, we almost lost 98% of our fans in that first half at Atlanta.