• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Was Glad To See Gasol Call DumbToni Out

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that the supposed "rift" between Pau and D'Antoni is as bad as some try to make it seem. I think they had their issues early in the season when Pau was hurt and trying to find his way in the offense.

Since then, Pau has figured out how to be effective in the offense and his numbers have shown it. I could be wrong, but I just don't think D'Antoni will weigh as heavily in Pau's decision as some want to believe.

Truth to tell, I think Kobe will have more influence on Pau's decision than D'Antoni.

In my opinion Gasol has been completely disrespected as a professional player and almost traded every time trades were ever considered. D'antoni does not play a system that is conducive to Gasol's talents. Quite frankly - I think he would be stupid to continue to play for the Lakers when he could join another team that is going to be relevent and if the Lakers don't intend to play defense(which appears to be the case) then they need to go out and get a bunch of young guys that can run like horses and shoot every which way. It almost worked in Phoenix before, so who knows

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion Gasol has been completely disrespected as a professional player and almost traded every time trades were ever considered. D'antoni does not play a system that is conducive to Gasol's talents. Quite frankly - I think he would be stupid to continue to play for the Lakers when he could join another team that is going to be relevent and if the Lakers don't intend to play defense(which appears to be the case) then they need to go out and get a bunch of young guys that can run like horses and shoot every which way. It almost worked in Phoenix before, so who knows

I agree about Pau being disrespected. Remember, he's my favorite Laker. The problem for Pau is that he has been the Lakers most tradeable asset, so of course he is going to be in trade rumors. Remember too, the Lakers had him traded. It's not the Lakers fault that Stern vetoed a fair trade because Gilbert wanted his welfare check and Cuban is a crybaby.

Pau's skillset fits just fine in D'Antoni's system since Pau has figured it out and D'Antoni has made some adjustments to his offense (it runs through Pau more in the halfcourt than it used to). D'Antoni's offense is very similar to Showtime and that ran just fine with Kareem. The faster, younger guys ran the break when it was there and in the halfcourt, they had Kareem. Pau can play a similar role (and has been).

With Pau's passing ability and overall skillset, he could really help the whole offense in the half-court sets.

As for the defense, that is why Rambis is there. Unfortunately, with the injuries, any kind of continuity on the defensive end has been rendered all but impossible. Basically, I think effort is there, but the communication isn't because of all of the different lineups the Lakers have been forced to use. This why we'll often see the Lakers play good defense for the first 10-15 seconds of the shot clock and then break down.

Whatever happens, the off-season is going to be very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Pau being disrespected. Remember, he's my favorite Laker. The problem for Pau is that he has been the Lakers most tradeable asset, so of course he is going to be in trade rumors. Remember too, the Lakers had him traded. It's not the Lakers fault that Stern vetoed a fair trade because Gilbert wanted his welfare check and Cuban is a crybaby.

Pau's skillset fits just fine in D'Antoni's system since Pau has figured it out and D'Antoni has made some adjustments to his offense (it runs through Pau more in the halfcourt than it used to). D'Antoni's offense is very similar to Showtime and that ran just fine with Kareem. The faster, younger guys ran the break when it was there and in the halfcourt, they had Kareem. Pau can play a similar role (and has been).

With Pau's passing ability and overall skillset, he could really help the whole offense in the half-court sets.

As for the defense, that is why Rambis is there. Unfortunately, with the injuries, any kind of continuity on the defensive end has been rendered all but impossible. Basically, I think effort is there, but the communication isn't because of all of the different lineups the Lakers have been forced to use. This why we'll often see the Lakers play good defense for the first 10-15 seconds of the shot clock and then break down.

Whatever happens, the off-season is going to be very interesting.

Sounds logical, but I am not sold on D'antoni being a successful coach ever. Quite frankly I consider him to be an overpaid loser. If he intended to play defense - then, he would have developed that philosophy years ago when he was in Phoenix. His style of play worked there only because he had a group of players that moved with lightening speed combined with the NBA being so much slower. His edge based on speed now because everyone is moving faster. Rambis is merely the token defensive minded coach so that fans like yourself will buy into his act.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds logical, but I am not sold on D'antoni being a successful coach ever. Quite frankly I consider him to be an overpaid loser. If he intended to play defense - then, he would have developed that philosophy years ago when he was in Phoenix. His style of play worked there only because he had a group of players that moved with lightening speed combined with the NBA being so much slower. His edge based on speed now because everyone is moving faster. Rambis is merely the token defensive minded coach so that fans like yourself will buy into his act.

You might have a point here. :think:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like what I said yesterday in this thread.

"Honestly I'm not ruling out renewing my contract, I'm just open to every option," Gasol wrote Friday on his personal website. "My decision will be based purely on sporting considerations. It couldn't be any other way. I want to be in a team with a real chance of winning a ring and where I can help to compete for it. I would like to win another championship. The financial side comes second at this stage of my career."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like what I said yesterday in this thread.

[MEDIA=twitter]439520239856803840[/MEDIA]

"Honestly I'm not ruling out renewing my contract, I'm just open to every option," Gasol wrote Friday on his personal website. "My decision will be based purely on sporting considerations. It couldn't be any other way. I want to be in a team with a real chance of winning a ring and where I can help to compete for it. I would like to win another championship. The financial side comes second at this stage of my career."

Pretty much the same thing I said too. Pau will make the decision based on where he see's the Lakers going and what other teams come calling and where the teams are headed. I'm a big Pau fan and would like to see him with the team that he will be happiest with for the 2-3 seasons he has left.

If that's someone else, that's fine. If it's the Lakers, so much the better.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like OKC is going to get that post presence they need :D

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much the same thing I said too. Pau will make the decision based on where he see's the Lakers going and what other teams come calling and where the teams are headed. I'm a big Pau fan and would like to see him with the team that he will be happiest with for the 2-3 seasons he has left.

If that's someone else, that's fine. If it's the Lakers, so much the better.

I think that depends on how well the Lakers sells the future of their team and how well Kobe convinces Gasol and D'antoni of Gasol's value. Since D'antoni has been on the Lakers, Gasol has not been used effectively at all and that has to have been hard on Gasol. I think Gasol at this point has been kind and generous to the Lakers with that statement he made period

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that depends on how well the Lakers sells the future of their team and how well Kobe convinces Gasol and D'antoni of Gasol's value. Since D'antoni has been on the Lakers, Gasol has not been used effectively at all and that has to have been hard on Gasol. I think Gasol at this point has been kind and generous to the Lakers with that statement he made period

I agree with most of this. I disagree about Pau being used effectively in the offense. At the beginning of the season, Pau was hurt and was also having trouble finding his way in the offense. D'Antoni was also having trouble creating a role for him.

This isn't entirely either of their faults. Pau had never played in an offense like that and D'Antoni has never had a big with Pau's skill set. As Pau got healthy, he has learned how to use his skills in D'Antoni's offense and D'Antoni has tweaked it a little for Pau (half-court sets run mostly through Pau).

I agree though that a big part of Pau's decision will be how well Kobe sells him on sticking around as well as Pau being sold on the direction of the team by D'Antoni and the FO.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pau stays true to his word, regardless of how much persuading there is..... he'll never suit up for Lakers again after this season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pau stays true to his word, regardless of how much persuading there is..... he'll never suit up for Lakers again after this season.

That's a bit of a reach considering he said "I'm not ruling out renewing my contract". Again, it will come down to where he see's the Lakers headed and that will come from the FO, D'Antoni and to an extent Kobe (who will no doubt be lobbying for Pau to stay).

Pau will do exactly what he should do. He will look at his options, weigh them out and make his decision.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bit of a reach considering he said "I'm not ruling out renewing my contract". Again, it will come down to where he see's the Lakers headed and that will come from the FO, D'Antoni and to an extent Kobe (who will no doubt be lobbying for Pau to stay).

Pau will do exactly what he should do. He will look at his options, weigh them out and make his decision.

It's more than a reach - it's ignorance based on his own hatred of the Lakers as a team. In his puny brain, no player of real value should want to play for the Lakers or was most people would call it
IT'S WISHFUL THINKING ON JIM'S PART

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what would we expect Pau to get for a contract next? 2 years 12 ish?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what would we expect Pau to get for a contract next? 2 years 12 ish?

Yeah, that seems fairly accurate. I see him going to someone for anywhere from about $10-12 million per for 2 years. Maybe even as low as $8-9 million if he feels there is a solid chance at a ring. He has said that he'll be willing to sacrifice money for winning.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that seems fairly accurate. I see him going to someone for anywhere from about $10-12 million per for 2 years. Maybe even as low as $8-9 million if he feels there is a solid chance at a ring. He has said that he'll be willing to sacrifice money for winning.

Since the Lakers are serious about keeping Kobe two more years, they obviously need to be committed to keeping Gasol. I personally think that 18-20 a year for Kobe and 10-12 for Gasol would have been more than either are worth. I doubt Gasol will accept less than 10 a year though and I think he will get offers that high.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so OKC should have that coin considering Perkins deal is up?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oklahoma is more concerned about not spending to much though, so Perkins could fly away if he doesn't believe Oklahoma will ever be a serious contender. OK is a good team and will be in the top 5 every year for awhile, but doubtful that they will ever push to the finals and win with that philosophy. If Perkins sees that then he is gone

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I'm OKC, I let Perkins walk and go after Pau big time. He would be the post presence on offense that they sorely need and with his passing skills and the likes of Westbrook and Durant to pass to, teams couldn't double him in the post.

They'd lose a bit defensively, but it would more than be made up for with Pau's offensive skills.

He likely only has a couple of seasons left to play at a high level, but if he is the difference in OKC getting a title, he'd be worth it for them.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm OKC, I let Perkins walk and go after Pau big time. He would be the post presence on offense that they sorely need and with his passing skills and the likes of Westbrook and Durant to pass to, teams couldn't double him in the post.

They'd lose a bit defensively, but it would more than be made up for with Pau's offensive skills.

He likely only has a couple of seasons left to play at a high level, but if he is the difference in OKC getting a title, he'd be worth it for them.

According to Hoopshype Ok, is at 69 million next year and Perkins has one more year, so unless Gasol wants to go to Ok and asks the Lakers for a sign and trade for Perkins, Ok is not in position to go after him. That's dead