• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Was Glad To See Gasol Call DumbToni Out

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol was correct when he said that the Lakers were not playing team basketball and there was not enough discipline among the players. It was long over due

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol was correct when he said that the Lakers were not playing team basketball and there was not enough discipline among the players. It was long over due

You could pretty much say this since the beginning of last season,

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could pretty much say this since the beginning of last season,

D'antoni has to leave before the team can move forward - He just doesn't know how to build a team without Nash as the leader. Nash knew how to take his convoluted crap and make it appear that the coach knew what he was doing

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'antoni has to leave before the team can move forward - He just doesn't know how to build a team without Nash as the leader. Nash knew how to take his convoluted crap and make it appear that the coach knew what he was doing

Agree.
I never saw what the attraction was.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that Gasol was correct in calling out the team. Agree with D'Antoni that he should have said it "in house" though.

Also, disagree about D'Antoni. I'm not convinced that he can lead the Lakers to a title, but I'm not convinced that he can't. I'd like him to have a couple of seasons with an actual whole team of good players.

D'Antoni's biggest problem and the reason that so many Lakers fans have a problem with him is because we thought we were getting Phil. D'Antoni already had that against him, then he gets handed an injured team that was already losing and had ill-fitting pieces, but was expected to compete for a title anyway. Despite all of that, he still had the team playing well at the end of the season and we were all excited about them possibly making a run in the playoffs until Kobe blew out his Achilles.

We all know what has happened this season. As injured as last seasons team was, they look like the picture of health compared to this seasons team.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know what gasols motivations were, it seems strange. Yes, the lakers like to air out laundry on each other, but that does not make the team attractive, the coach attractive or ownership. Do I want gasol on my team? No. He just cost himself some money as a free agent.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that Gasol was correct in calling out the team. Agree with D'Antoni that he should have said it "in house" though.

Wonder what changed Coaches stance?

Remember at the beginning of the season when Pau was benched towards the end of a game? When Mike D was asked later after the game why Pau was on the bench and he replied "cause I wanted to win the game"

That was OK for him to say to the media?

I'm not looking for a yes or no answer.....just making an observation.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim, even if thats the reason does it make Pau look any better to any other team?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't effect Pau in free agency this summer. Other teams will still have interest. What will cost him money is his age and the current CBA. These comments will long be forgotten by the summer time.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know what gasols motivations were, it seems strange. Yes, the lakers like to air out laundry on each other, but that does not make the team attractive, the coach attractive or ownership. Do I want gasol on my team? No. He just cost himself some money as a free agent.

Gasol will re-sign with Lakers, imo. If we thought we would lose him - we would have traded him. Gasol is basically telling management that he won't stay if the coach does. All Lakers fans would love to keep Gasol over dumbtoni.

Next year we will have a healthy Kobe, a top 5 pick, and a new coach. With those things in place, Gasol will stay. The next year we will add Love.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what changed Coaches stance?

Remember at the beginning of the season when Pau was benched towards the end of a game? When Mike D was asked later after the game why Pau was on the bench and he replied "cause I wanted to win the game"

That was OK for him to say to the media?

I'm not looking for a yes or no answer.....just making an observation.

It is a very convenient excuse(for the coach to say keep it in-house) because then he doesn't have to defend himself, but we both know that B.S. because when the reported asked Gasol what went wrong - he gave them an honest answer.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, i think the undermining in LA will be another worry for a team looking to bring on free agents like Pau. Would he do the same thing with another coach?

I really dont think Pau wants to stay, and I am guessing he wants another title before he retires in the next 3 or 4 years. Maybe OKC?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, i think the undermining in LA will be another worry for a team looking to bring on free agents like Pau. Would he do the same thing with another coach?

I really dont think Pau wants to stay, and I am guessing he wants another title before he retires in the next 3 or 4 years. Maybe OKC?

He most certainly won't go to Boston :lol: I think his time here is over as well. Will he be amenable at all to a sign and trade if that scenario presents itself? I could understand why he wouldn't. Of course Los Angeles has been very good to him, so you never know.

This is unusual behavior for Gasol, but not surprising. He has a coach who underutilizes his skillset. Other GMs aren't going to be scared off by these recent comments. These other GMs are smart enough to see what's happening in Los Angeles. The other GMs also see that he is still capable of putting up good numbers. These recent comments aren't scaring anybody off.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim, even if thats the reason does it make Pau look any better to any other team?
You've never heard a peep out of Gasol ...even when getting criticized by his teammates or coach.

I think what he said has no bearing on future interest from teams. It's probably safe to say that Pau will have no interest in teams that are currently in shambles for various reasons.

I think he's made enough money that he'll sign for less than what he's probably worth, in exchange to be part of a current stable environment. It's probably going to be a circus these next 2 seasons, especially if Kobe stays healthy. Not sure if he wants to be a part of that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gasol simply stated the obvious. He didn't mention anyone by name and said "we" which implies that he was including himself in the criticism.

Basically, Pau is a professional and he wants his team to finish the season playing like professionals. I think that him wanting to continue to compete and play as a team even in a lost season should be attractive to plenty of free agents and/or other teams.

The Lakers have quite a few young players on 1 year deals. Pau is a respected veteran and team leader. It was incumbent on him to speak out and teach the young guys a little about being a professional.

The Lakers worked it out and while they still lost, they played much better than they did the night before. So obviously, you have a bigger problem with it than his teammates and coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So guys, if Clips and Houston are loading up what holds OKC from bringing Gasol on next year?

I agree rule that Gasol has been a decent citizen to date

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So guys, if Clips and Houston are loading up what holds OKC from bringing Gasol on next year?

I agree rule that Gasol has been a decent citizen to date

I think where Pau ends up will be determined by Pau. Believe it or not, even after all of the criticism and trade rumors, it seems Pau wants to remain a Laker if possible.

I think that when free agency starts, he will first see what the Lakers plans are as far as the re-build and if he likes what he sees and the money is okay, he will remain a Laker. Unlike some of my fellow Lakers fans, I don't think D'Antoni staying or leaving will weigh very heavily in his decision. I also think Kobe will lobby hard for him to stay.

Other than Pau's desire to remain a Laker, I think the only thing that would keep OKC from taking him on might be cap space. He would be a great acquisition for the Thunder.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think where Pau ends up will be determined by Pau. Believe it or not, even after all of the criticism and trade rumors, it seems Pau wants to remain a Laker if possible.

I think that when free agency starts, he will first see what the Lakers plans are as far as the re-build and if he likes what he sees and the money is okay, he will remain a Laker. Unlike some of my fellow Lakers fans, I don't think D'Antoni staying or leaving will weigh very heavily in his decision. I also think Kobe will lobby hard for him to stay.

Other than Pau's desire to remain a Laker, I think the only thing that would keep OKC from taking him on might be cap space. He would be a great acquisition for the Thunder.

I think Gasol will quietly wait and see if D'antoni gets fired and if not - then he will accept the best offer from another team. Thats what I would do.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gasol will quietly wait and see if D'antoni gets fired and if not - then he will accept the best offer from another team. Thats what I would do.

I don't think that the supposed "rift" between Pau and D'Antoni is as bad as some try to make it seem. I think they had their issues early in the season when Pau was hurt and trying to find his way in the offense.

Since then, Pau has figured out how to be effective in the offense and his numbers have shown it. I could be wrong, but I just don't think D'Antoni will weigh as heavily in Pau's decision as some want to believe.

Truth to tell, I think Kobe will have more influence on Pau's decision than D'Antoni.