• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I want to screw the cable company

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So right now were getting hti for 185 a month. we have more shit than we need, and want to downgrade majorly, the company wont let us due to "contract" and if we downgrade we get a new "contract"

We literally want a landline, wifi, and BASIC cable......thats it, how do we get out of this crap, and how much should we expect ot pay

when i called and said i couldnt afford it, or i would switch to another provider they didnt budge

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am moving and am switching to Comcast for internet. Got 150mbps internet for $75 (including router rental) plus local TV, Showtime, and HBO. I'm planning on getting PS Vue which is $35/month for the package I want that contains ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, BTN, FS1, FS2, and SEC Network in addition to quite a few others. So for $110/month, I'll have all the channels I need, plus HBO/Showtime. I was paying $160 for TWC internet/TV, plus $15 for HBO and no Showtime. I've heard good things about Vue, so I'm hoping it works out.
Finally got everything hooked up yesterday. The Vue works great so far...I haven't tried hooking it up with wifi but just connecting to the modem with an Ethernet cable has produced zero buffering issues. Very impressed with the quality so far.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So right now were getting hti for 185 a month. we have more shit than we need, and want to downgrade majorly, the company wont let us due to "contract" and if we downgrade we get a new "contract"

We literally want a landline, wifi, and BASIC cable......thats it, how do we get out of this crap, and how much should we expect ot pay

when i called and said i couldnt afford it, or i would switch to another provider they didnt budge

That's a tough one. May have to call a few times until you get the right manager and keep trying. Keep telling them there HAS to be something they can do.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after cancelling Sling TV in March and getting HBO in April during GTO, I've now cancelled HBO (thru Roku) and ordered 3 months of Sling again and got a free Roku 2 with my order. Got to have ESPN during football season. I'll cancel it after football season again and switch to HBO for 2-3 months.

Between the antenna, Sling, and Netflix I have plenty of TV. Internet costing $45.99/month and Sling $20/month, Netflix $8/month. Good times.

And the cable co screwed up my internet around the 4th of July for about 10 days - it worked ok but would stop working at random times. I called 3 times and bitched - my bill in Early AUG was $10.54.

f8f.gif

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ran into the same problem, except I don't have a contract, I have a package deal that includes cable, Internet and phone. So I wanted to do away with cable, was told "then you lose your discounts" in short Comcast would just up charge for the Internet and phone and the savings would be minimal.:gaah:
Basically I feel like I have to switch to Century Link, but that means a two year contract, start up fees, which are expensive and the internet speed would be much less. Really don't want to do this either, so for now I'm stuck.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ran into the same problem, except I don't have a contract, I have a package deal that includes cable, Internet and phone. So I wanted to do away with cable, was told "then you lose your discounts" in short Comcast would just up charge for the Internet and phone and the savings would be minimal.:gaah:
Basically I feel like I have to switch to Century Link, but that means a two year contract, start up fees, which are expensive and the internet speed would be much less. Really don't want to do this either, so for now I'm stuck.
exact same boss

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can get out, but the penalty can be pretty steep...maybe $250-$350.

I've got basic, & IP w/blast now (the reg was speed was rated at 50mps and realizes was 40ish...now over 120mps...no land line for $154 3 yr deal which is expiring in Sept but only going to $162...I told the wife to start gearing up to drop basic in another year maybe and that should get us down to <$90+ streaming cost.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have triple play...I have Comcast basic and internet with blast and there was not a huge discount for the double play...the teaser rate was for 3 yrs but only $8 more when we go off teaser next month.

I'm giving serious thought to giving up basic next year and have been prepping the wife...basic itself isn't bad, but with 5 TVs and 2 HDR boxes, I'm paying damn near as much for boxes as programming. Looking into all the streaming option and cost before we make the switch.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have triple play...I have Comcast basic and internet with blast and there was not a huge discount for the double play...the teaser rate was for 3 yrs but only $8 more when we go off teaser next month.

I'm giving serious thought to giving up basic next year and have been prepping the wife...basic itself isn't bad, but with 5 TVs and 2 HDR boxes, I'm paying damn near as much for boxes as programming. Looking into all the streaming option and cost before we make the switch.
Might want to call them up and see what has changed. We were able to nearly cut ours in half when we switched to the X1 platform a year ago. And all we had was basic before that upgrade. X1 includes all premium channels and a whole bunch more that we didn't have before, plus the voice remote, record 5 shows at the same time, etc. And our internet went up to over 150mbps down speed.

You tell them you want to speak to someone about cancelling your account and they get you to someone that will offer you a sweet deal to stay. I've had several friends and family members do that and it works every time.

I think we pay like $145/month for phone, internet, and TV and that includes the boxes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might want to call them up and see what has changed. We were able to nearly cut ours in half when we switched to the X1 platform a year ago. And all we had was basic before that upgrade. X1 includes all premium channels and a whole bunch more that we didn't have before, plus the voice remote, record 5 shows at the same time, etc. And our internet went up to over 150mbps down speed.

You tell them you want to speak to someone about cancelling your account and they get you to someone that will offer you a sweet deal to stay. I've had several friends and family members do that and it works every time.

I think we pay like $145/month for phone, internet, and TV and that includes the boxes.

That's great...incl all the taxes I'm paying $162 (5 TVs boxes) starting with Sept bill (we were paying $154) for basic and the same internet you have...I call it basic, but there 100+ channels (which incl Golf Channel) so we don't need anymore channels really...the voice control remote sounds pretty cool.

I'd like something under $100 ideally...the new Google fiber (up to 1,000 mbs) is expanding here...once that hits my area, I think we'll drop cable and pickup one of the streaming content providers and install a HD over the air antenna in the attic. Next will be the damn mobile phone.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have fiber or really any other options and antenna really isn't an option for us either. Kind of stuck with Comcast. Live too far away from Seattle to really pick up decent TV signals and too far from the phone CO to even get DSL, more or less do they have fiber in our area. We will drop the phone when our daughter graduates from high school. It's really there in case of emergency.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amazingly now i have verizon and comcast bidding against eachother, but still not where i want it

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? no love for AOL, you have mail.
LOL!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have fiber or really any other options and antenna really isn't an option for us either. Kind of stuck with Comcast. Live too far away from Seattle to really pick up decent TV signals and too far from the phone CO to even get DSL, more or less do they have fiber in our area. We will drop the phone when our daughter graduates from high school. It's really there in case of emergency.

ATT Fiber has sent out letters stating they are up and running in our community now...strange they didn't put pricing on this literature.

After the 1st of the yr I'm going to call and get the details.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATT Fiber has sent out letters stating they are up and running in our community now...strange they didn't put pricing on this literature.

After the 1st of the yr I'm going to call and get the details.
We have fiber at one of our job sites and it's fine, but not cheap. No idea if residential pricing is any different. We have only a 50m/50m and it's like $1,100/month, but they had to dig up a huge chunk of ground and spend a lot to get it to this property and I'm sure that cost is added in over the life of the contract.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have fiber at one of our job sites and it's fine, but not cheap. No idea if residential pricing is any different. We have only a 50m/50m and it's like $1,100/month, but they had to dig up a huge chunk of ground and spend a lot to get it to this property and I'm sure that cost is added in over the life of the contract.

That would certainly kill it for 99% of homeowners/residential customers.

I have golf buddy that works for AT&T on in the fiber install (infrastructure side)..for residential it's marketed as Internet 1000...I haven't gotten a stand alone price yet, but he said the bundle with DTV is about $120 per for 2 years, but he expects it to be around $140-150 per after the teaser.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the people at the cable company? Men and women? Aren't you worried about chafing? :gaah:

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazon Firestick withe Kodi Software. You're welcome

This is the ONLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY answer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not reading all 7 pages of this thread but for a small one time investment you can have it all....

AND I MEAN ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

What ever you are paying now ... Your bill will go to --- the cost of your internet + ZERO...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After months of negotiating they came down 56 dollars per month, amazing that all of a sudden they could meet my price point, and give me more than i wanted............

My tv has also been tiling, for 1.5 months, so bad you cant watch it now. They are also gonna refund me for the time it has been tiling, got a big win here

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit @SJ76

Your making another convert. This time a International Reader of all 7 pages

I took a look at all of them...............

Quite interested in the Roku and the Nexus (Roku more)