• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I HATE CHRIS CONTE

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ, he can't make a play to save his life. How many times does he have to be late on a deep sideline pass before we can be rid of his uselessness?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team... is just... awful

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no corners in on any plays in the end zone.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the ESPN boards last year I posted that Conte always seemed 2 steps late getting to the deep ball. And most disagreed w/me.
Glad somebody sees what I do:suds:.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the ESPN boards last year I posted that Conte always seemed 2 steps late getting to the deep ball. And most disagreed w/me.
Glad somebody sees what I do:suds:.

I see it too.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate Conte, but I'm getting to that point.
He tackles well, but that's about all he does well.
I'm tired of watching him jump in the pile late, knock balls out of the hands of guy who's been on the ground for awhile.
Just don't think he's too bright.
But at the moment we don't have a better option. Was really hoping Hardin would make a case for himself .
Guess another safety is in our draft plans ( I hope).

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it too.

Just curious Noon. Since you posted a thread on it. Have you been betting? Haven't seen your cash vary.
I made a drunk $100 bet on the Vikes vs Clev. Other than that I'm up $30 . But still down $70.
Just curious if you're an active bettor.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious Noon. Since you posted a thread on it. Have you been betting? Haven't seen your cash vary.
I made a drunk $100 bet on the Vikes vs Clev. Other than that I'm up $30 . But still down $70.
Just curious if you're an active bettor.

so far no. i have been so swamped the last few months its unbelievable. i have Bear lee, been able to post. But real soon things will be back to normal I hope. I,m gonna have to make some big bets to pump my money up. I,ve done more work in the last 4 months then I have the last 20 years. I,m making a ton o money but have no time to spend it lol. Good thing wifey poo has me covered there lol. I think I have aged, I was in my 40s but now am reaching 70 it feels. Leave at 6 am get home at 9 pm 6 days a week. I forget what beer tastes like.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far no. i have been so swamped the last few months its unbelievable. i have Bear lee, been able to post. But real soon things will be back to normal I hope. I,m gonna have to make some big bets to pump my money up. I,ve done more work in the last 4 months then I have the last 20 years. I,m making a ton o money but have no time to spend it lol. Good thing wifey poo has me covered there lol. I think I have aged, I was in my 40s but now am reaching 70 it feels. Leave at 6 am get home at 9 pm 6 days a week. I forget what beer tastes like.

Been there done it. Don't kill yourself over a paycheck.
Took care of wife problem. Got rid of her:lol:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the GB a 2nd time his run D sucks as well. This guy needs to be replaced.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played really well today.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disclaimer: I'm honestly not trying to pile on here, even though you probably don't want to hear from a Lions fan today. But I do have some honest football to talk about your safeties... perhaps we can just pretend that there wasn't a game yesterday?

Anywho, I didn't realize the problems you guys were having until I read an article on the subject leading up to the game this weekend. Per PFF out of 85 qualifying safeties this season Conte ranks dead last. While I've never heard a whole lot about his play I always assumed he was at least a decent starter. The one that surprised me more was Major Wright- based on the way he always has played against us I would have pegged him as a top 15 safety in the league, but on that same PFF ranking he came in at 69 out of 85 so far this year.

I'm honestly very surprised by this news, perhaps it's just because of the historically dominant Bears defense. I think this is definitely a transitional year for you guys on D; with Urlacher retiring and Briggs and Melton getting hurt you guys basically lost the core of your defense. Time for some guys to step up and earn a role (Bostic?) and also time to shake out some of the dead wood like Conte. I think Wright is probably still a lot better than he's played so far this year, but you guys would have a better sense of how good he really is than I would anyhow...

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played really well today.

He got an interception on an overthrow and still took a terrible angle at bush to allow that 40 yard run. He got facemasked to end one play he would have been beat on and a bad throw on the end zone fade had him beat as well.

You know what really sucks, a guy makes 2 decent plays in 70 snaps and gets credit for playing well. Shea turned three plays into defensive player of the week.

I did not hear Peppers name called once yesterday. I am not ready to forgive an entire season of terrible play because of two decent plays when he still made mistakes.:gaah:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disclaimer: I'm honestly not trying to pile on here, even though you probably don't want to hear from a Lions fan today. But I do have some honest football to talk about your safeties... perhaps we can just pretend that there wasn't a game yesterday?

Anywho, I didn't realize the problems you guys were having until I read an article on the subject leading up to the game this weekend. Per PFF out of 85 qualifying safeties this season Conte ranks dead last. While I've never heard a whole lot about his play I always assumed he was at least a decent starter. The one that surprised me more was Major Wright- based on the way he always has played against us I would have pegged him as a top 15 safety in the league, but on that same PFF ranking he came in at 69 out of 85 so far this year.

I'm honestly very surprised by this news, perhaps it's just because of the historically dominant Bears defense. I think this is definitely a transitional year for you guys on D; with Urlacher retiring and Briggs and Melton getting hurt you guys basically lost the core of your defense. Time for some guys to step up and earn a role (Bostic?) and also time to shake out some of the dead wood like Conte. I think Wright is probably still a lot better than he's played so far this year, but you guys would have a better sense of how good he really is than I would anyhow...

Our whole D is predicated on the front four applying pressure.

Conte and Wright played well last year, and have been awful, this year. Coinciding with that...out d-line was a top unit last year, and is near dead last this year.

Conte and Wright are decent. They WERE the only consistency we'd had there, since Mike Brown and Tony Parrish, aka 2001. lol

But, I think we're finding out that they were helped out, by great players at all the other levels. Great d-line, great LB's, great DB's, and the safeties suddenly look above average.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the run defense is atrocious. But of the 11 defensive positions, the free safety is #11 in terms of run stopping responsibility. The free safety's job in run defense is to be the last line of defense before a touchdown on long runs. People see Troy Polamalu - who is a strong safety, not a free safety - and think this is what all safeties are supposed to do. It isn't.

Chris Conte is mediocre, but you could swap him with an All-Pro free safety and the Bears terrible run defense would still be awful. This is one of the most misdirected discussions I have seen on here in awhile.

The Bears run defense sucks primarily because the front 7 suck at it. The rookie linebackers look like rookies. It is nice they are getting experience and playing time, but right now, it is painful to watch.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys still run a free safety and a strong safety?

It seems like that's almost becoming an antiquated term in today's game. With the rise of spread offense and also receiving TEs today's safeties have to be equally good in run defense (strong safety) and also in the passing game (free safety).

I obviously don't follow the Bears as closely as I do the Lions, but I know we've gone away from a free/strong safety and just run two safeties who share the same responsibilities based on the play call. From my understanding of what I've read the last couple years that been the trend in the NFL...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the run defense is atrocious. But of the 11 defensive positions, the free safety is #11 in terms of run stopping responsibility. The free safety's job in run defense is to be the last line of defense before a touchdown on long runs. People see Troy Polamalu - who is a strong safety, not a free safety - and think this is what all safeties are supposed to do. It isn't.

Chris Conte is mediocre, but you could swap him with an All-Pro free safety and the Bears terrible run defense would still be awful. This is one of the most misdirected discussions I have seen on here in awhile.

The Bears run defense sucks primarily because the front 7 suck at it. The rookie linebackers look like rookies. It is nice they are getting experience and playing time, but right now, it is painful to watch.

This^^^

Although I will say, I have seen improvement the last two weeks. Hopefully a trend.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...particularly up front.

LB's will come around. Bostic will be a stud, sooner than later.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness missing the two best players in your front seven really doesn't help matters at all.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good post. Our past pass rush has masked our poor safety play for some time. And Injuries to the D line
have opened this discussion. Conte sucks period, Wright has made some plays but also missed on many others. Hope D is a major focal point in this years draft & FA. God knows Mel Tucker needs some help.
G/L to you guys in the playoffs.