• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I HATE CHRIS CONTE

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
half way through and youre wishing them luck in the playoffs. good god man.

The safeties are basically screwed because they are the first and last line of defense against the run. You cannot look at eithers stats or rankings, because the numbers arent reflecting the rediculous amount of pressure they are under. Conte does stink out loud, and Major Wright could be better with another solid safety and anything in front of him.

It is absolutely astonishing to me that we went from a team, with no offensive line, and a defense and special teams that could win games, to a high powered offense with a solid line and little to no defense or special teams. This was what the Bears were for while too, and it changed in what seems like over night.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The safeties are basically screwed because they are the first and last line of defense against the run. You cannot look at eithers stats or rankings, because the numbers arent reflecting the rediculous amount of pressure they are under. Conte does stink out loud, and Major Wright could be better with another solid safety and anything in front of him.

It is absolutely astonishing to me that we went from a team, with no offensive line, and a defense and special teams that could win games, to a high powered offense with a solid line and little to no defense or special teams. This was what the Bears were for while too, and it changed in what seems like over night.

I don't usually respond to your posts. Simply because you read as drunk as I am. As for wishing them luck, I don't foresee my Bears making the playoffs right now. The way Car. NO.SF. Sea. are playing . I can only see 1 team making it in the North . And that would be the DIV. winner. And right now it seems to be Detroit, though I hate to say it. Maybe an injury to Stafford would change my chain of thought.

As for the rest of your comment. Injuries to the D-Line, Briggs, DJ. transformed us to what we are.
But it's part of the NFL, you have to overcome injuries to key players to succeed .

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cris Conte sucks, but we dont have anyone better to take his place!

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we really need Josh and DJ Moore back. they could at least tackle!

C

cubzzzfanincali

Do you guys still run a free safety and a strong safety?

It seems like that's almost becoming an antiquated term in today's game. With the rise of spread offense and also receiving TEs today's safeties have to be equally good in run defense (strong safety) and also in the passing game (free safety).

I obviously don't follow the Bears as closely as I do the Lions, but I know we've gone away from a free/strong safety and just run two safeties who share the same responsibilities based on the play call. From my understanding of what I've read the last couple years that been the trend in the NFL...

while there are some plays like this, to suggest the NFL has gone away from this is a little silly. Let me ask you a simple question....when you see one safety up high in single-high coverage (probably something like 40% of all NFL plays run), and the second safety down near the box lined up a little ways from the tight end, do you think those two players have the same responsibilities on a play like that?

Maybe what you read, but didn't fully grasp the context of, is that NFL defenses run more coverage disguises than they used to. That much is true, some teams are notorious coverage-disguisers about who has the deepest zone responsibility on some plays. Even those teams don't just run such disguises...obviously for it to work they have to mostly be running a defense with a clear set of responsibilities for the sometimes "trick" to work. The Bears have never been much of a disguise team, they've usually emphasized fundamentals. I've only watched 3 Lions games on the All-22 this year, so I don't know what you guys are doing overall, but I haven't noticed any super unusual trend. You run your share of single high looks and your free safety (Delmas) seems to take the deeper portion of the field more often, but I admit I haven't watched enough of the Lions to know how often they really are switching things up overall. Quin and Delmas aren't as distinct in style as Wright and Conte so it's possible, and given the great D line play you guys are getting your safeties are a lot freer to choose what they are doing, but I haven't really noticed anything. Quin is having a nice season so far though.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bears organization spent a decade wasting one of the best D's in history. The only time we had a o-line worth its weight in shit, we had Rex fucking Grossman or Orton at the helm.

Sad for guys like Peanut, Urlacher en sech.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears organization spent a decade wasting one of the best D's in history. The only time we had a o-line worth its weight in shit, we had Rex fucking Grossman or Orton at the helm.
That was kinda my point. If you take away those 2-3 years, the Bears had not changed in ten years. Flipped like a pancake in one season. Its weird is all.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heres a question. Since none of the young safeties that are failing in the nfl have ever had a veteran presence to actually teach them the game, do you try Ed Reed who was cut for saying his ex texans were outcoached? I never liked him, but the one thing the young safeties never had was someone to really help hone their craft. I dont know if Reed would help them, but an experienced safety on film that actually take the right routes might be worth the gamble.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As with any deal like that, it'd depend on the numbers favoring the Bears organization.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heres a question. Since none of the young safeties that are failing in the nfl have ever had a veteran presence to actually teach them the game, do you try Ed Reed who was cut for saying his ex texans were outcoached? I never liked him, but the one thing the young safeties never had was someone to really help hone their craft. I dont know if Reed would help them, but an experienced safety on film that actually take the right routes might be worth the gamble.

It is really tough to just say Reed could help to begin with. Some guys are just talented and can do things other guys cant. It doesnt mean they have some great gift of knowledge about the game, they may just have a certain talent that you cant teach. You should never mistake talent for knowledge in my opinion.

Now thats not to say that Reed doesnt know, or couldnt help, but I cant say either way.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really tough to just say Reed could help to begin with. Some guys are just talented and can do things other guys cant. It doesnt mean they have some great gift of knowledge about the game, they may just have a certain talent that you cant teach. You should never mistake talent for knowledge in my opinion.

Now thats not to say that Reed doesnt know, or couldnt help, but I cant say either way.

Good post.
Some guys just have a God given instinct for playing the game. Reed was 1 of those guys.
I think he can help this club, if he wants to play for cheap. I doubt though he can pass his instinctive ability on to the likes of Conte or Wright. Cliff Harris had long career at the position And his words aren't helping.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while there are some plays like this, to suggest the NFL has gone away from this is a little silly. Let me ask you a simple question....when you see one safety up high in single-high coverage (probably something like 40% of all NFL plays run), and the second safety down near the box lined up a little ways from the tight end, do you think those two players have the same responsibilities on a play like that?

Maybe what you read, but didn't fully grasp the context of, is that NFL defenses run more coverage disguises than they used to. That much is true, some teams are notorious coverage-disguisers about who has the deepest zone responsibility on some plays. Even those teams don't just run such disguises...obviously for it to work they have to mostly be running a defense with a clear set of responsibilities for the sometimes "trick" to work. The Bears have never been much of a disguise team, they've usually emphasized fundamentals. I've only watched 3 Lions games on the All-22 this year, so I don't know what you guys are doing overall, but I haven't noticed any super unusual trend. You run your share of single high looks and your free safety (Delmas) seems to take the deeper portion of the field more often, but I admit I haven't watched enough of the Lions to know how often they really are switching things up overall. Quin and Delmas aren't as distinct in style as Wright and Conte so it's possible, and given the great D line play you guys are getting your safeties are a lot freer to choose what they are doing, but I haven't really noticed anything. Quin is having a nice season so far though.

Great post Cali: Now can you decipher what the Bears are doing wrong?:lol:

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'll tell you what though...if you want my take on a few specific plays, I will give you some pretty exact opinions about what I think went wrong.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you what though...if you want my take on a few specific plays, I will give you some pretty exact opinions about what I think went wrong.

Watching Jim Miller break down Plays is probably the best show on comcast.
They should make it an all day affair. LOL
He broke down the long TD run by GB & Bush's long run this past week. Both were blamed to James Anderson ( who I thought has been playing well ) over running the plays, and not protecting his gap.
Guess his good pass coverage fooled me.

C

cubzzzfanincali

man, that run by Reggie Bush is textbook for what's wrong with the Bears defense. I see why he blames Anderson, who took an extremely long time to recognize it as a run, but you can't really let the other two linebackers or David Bass off the hook either. Bass just looks like a fool on that one, and since he only ties up one blocker the left tackle is free to come all the way across and seal Greene on the strongside. That just shouldn't happen. Bostic also manages to overrun to the wrong gap and leaves the middle wide open...another rookie mistake. Then after blowing past the front 7 your fave Conte blows an open field tackle.

Yeah, that was pretty horrid run defense all around.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man, that run by Reggie Bush is textbook for what's wrong with the Bears defense. I see why he blames Anderson, who took an extremely long time to recognize it as a run, but you can't really let the other two linebackers or David Bass off the hook either. Bass just looks like a fool on that one, and since he only ties up one blocker the left tackle is free to come all the way across and seal Greene on the strongside. That just shouldn't happen. Bostic also manages to overrun to the wrong gap and leaves the middle wide open...another rookie mistake. Then after blowing past the front 7 your fave Conte blows an open field tackle.

Yeah, that was pretty horrid run defense all around.

But when Bostic guesses right, he knows how to hit and that runner will go down. I dont want any more bullshit line up like the blitz and back out with Bostic though. Just let him play his position, go sideline to sideline like Urlacher started. If the running back comes out then cover him, otherwise stay within the first down area to stop the short passes. They also kept Bostic on the field in nickel package so I dont know why he isnt wearing the speaker helmet. I got it when anderson was staying on the field for nickel, but now that bostic is staying out he should take that over..

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit, I think Conte played pretty well today. As far as the rest of the defense, Jesus Christ. It's getting hard to watch. At least I have Alshon in fantasy :yahoo: