• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I can make a team today to beat the 1992 Dream Team

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might go to 7. If current players get hot from 3 then it’s over.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jump shooters gonna beat the Dream team Huh? I'm sure a slower more physical game would help the current players rhythm. Not to mention the pressure perimeter D they would face.

Good plan :thumb:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wouldn't double Jordan. They would play zone and force Jordan to beat the defender off the dribble and then get around the front court defense when he does. Suggesting that the DT would wear them down suggests that the DT were in better physical condition than a modern DT would be. That is not believable.

:dhd: Yeah I'm sure Magic and Jordan couldn't figure out how to penetrate a zone and move the ball. And I'm sure the current players just would wear down the DT with their punishing style of bball.

Too funny

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all good. I'd rather stick with the higher percentage shots and those are 2 pointers.

^^ this

Better defense and higher % shots, higher bball IQ gonna beat some jump shooters

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it isn't. They were. If you think KD is standing up to the physical play of guys like Ewing, Barkley and Malone, or that he's prepared to handle guys attacking the rim the way they did in the DT era, you're absurd.

KD plays by the rules that exist in the game. If the rules were different, he would play differently. He certainly would have struggled a LOT when he was a tooth pick as a 20 year old. Guys attacked the rim back then because they could. The game is different today.

And if you knew I was being facetious, why did you post that stupid crap you posted. Oh wait, let me guess...you were being facetious too. :rolleyes2:

It wasn't the breaking in half comment that I took issue with. It was the "he could never stop the DTers at the rim" comment I took issue with. Was that also hyperbole? Because if that was the case then it would have saved us a lot of trouble if you just said that.

Right. The DTers would adjusted to the new game, that they never saw before, but the modern players would struggle adjusting to the game they grew up watching. Gotcha.

Sure the game is called differently, but that's not why it's less physical. It's less physical because the emphasis has changed and it's played more like it was in the 80's. Although it is still less physical than the 80's.

So if isn't less physical because of how the game is called, why is it less physical? Gentleman's agreement? You think Tom Thibadeau wouldn't unleash the hounds if he thought the refs would let him?
Additionally, the discussion is about rim protection and attacking the rim. They don't attack the rim like the did in the DT era so todays bigs aren't used to it. Which has also already been explained.

Yes. Because zone defenses make attacking the rim harder. They make team ISOs harder.

I'm done wasting my time with you. You're bullshit picking 1 point when there are more and trying to take things out of context just to argue has grown tiresome and boring.

Oh stop being a baby. I took issue with one point and you decided to be a shit in response rather than say "Well of course KD could defend those guys sometimes but he would struggle a lot with their physicality". Because you want to pretend that the modern players are china dolls.

If Shawn Bradley were to try to play in the game today he would last 10 games. His play is extinct because teams don't play that way anymore. The same with guys like Manute Bol. They don't have any use for plodding big men whose primary role is to defend the other team's center.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dhd: Yeah I'm sure Magic and Jordan couldn't figure out how to penetrate a zone and move the ball. And I'm sure the current players just would wear down the DT with their punishing style of bball.

Too funny

Except I didn't say the modern players would wear down the DT. And I'm sure Magic and Jordan would adjust their games to the modern game and excel. Because they are 2 of the greatest players of all time. They would adjust their game to fit the style. But there is no question that the players today are in much better condition than the players 20 years ago. The Round Mound of Rebound would struggle playing in the pace of play of today's game and the spacing that it demands.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh stop being a baby.

You're full of shit. You do nothing but try to take things out of context, pick one point out of several and make shit up, just to argue.

As I said, you're act is bullshit and it's grown tiresome and boring.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're full of shit. You do nothing but try to take things out of context, pick one point out of several and make shit up, just to argue.

As I said, you're act is bullshit and it's grown tiresome and boring.

It seems clear to me that you have two modes. When people agree with you, or at least they don't disagree with you, you are civil and cordial. When they don't agree with you, you decide to be a hostile dick.

I didn't take a goddamn thing out of context. You make an overly broad claim to support your argument. Rather than just concede that the claim went too far, you double down and start with the insults. I pick specific points to argue because I don't disagree with everything. That's how these discussions work.

People like Dorian, otoh, make sweeping claims and don't deal with details at all. Perhaps that is what you prefer.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how so many people immediately come on here and say "no chance".

The DReam Team was absolutely great, but the reason they were so dominant was as much about their competition as it was about their actual team.

Worldwide competition finally reached the point where the US couldn't beat international pros with their own college guys in the late 80s, but it was nowhere near what it is today. Many of the game's biggest stars are foreign born now. Also, NBA guys being allowed to compete was a novelty in '92, so they all jumped at the chance. When was the last time team USA consisted of the best talent available? Players turn down invites all the time.

The fact is, that other countries were not equipped to compete with NBA stars in '92 the way they are now. I do believe it possible to assemble a squad of current players to beat the Dream Team, but chemistry and fit would matter a lot.

I like Sushi's squad, but would remove Love for somebody (anybody) else.

Kevin Love is a situational player, not rotational. He wouldn't be asked to play more than 3 or 4 minutes in a given game. The reason he would be out there would simply be to stretch the other team out and draw out the bigs. If not he's knocking down 3's out there left and right uncontested.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except I didn't say the modern players would wear down the DT. And I'm sure Magic and Jordan would adjust their games to the modern game and excel. Because they are 2 of the greatest players of all time. They would adjust their game to fit the style. But there is no question that the players today are in much better condition than the players 20 years ago. The Round Mound of Rebound would struggle playing in the pace of play of today's game and the spacing that it demands.

;)

IMG_3170.GIF

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems clear to me that you have two modes. When people agree with you, or at least they don't disagree with you, you are civil and cordial. When they don't agree with you, you decide to be a hostile dick.

Yeah, it's my fault.:rolleyes2:

What I said about your posting is 100% true. Your problem is that you know it and don't like being called on it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's my fault.:rolleyes2:

What I said about your posting is 100% true. Your problem is that you know it and don't like being called on it.

I don't like people being needlessly dickish and I generally will respond in kind when they do.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jump shooters gonna beat the Dream team Huh? I'm sure a slower more physical game would help the current players rhythm. Not to mention the pressure perimeter D they would face.

Good plan :thumb:

I like how you always just assume things break the Dream Team's way. I mean I've even acknowledged by saying that most likely the Dream Team wins a series, but the younger guys could potentially win if things go right. But your assumption that just everything will go the Dream Team's way is ridiculous.

Who's to say the game is simply just going to be slower and more physical? What rule set are they playing by?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT in 6...

5 if LeClown gets menstrual cramps again...:heh:

Oh man are you gonna start suffering migraine headaches when LeBalding One is wearing duh Purple 'n Gold next year. The only question is what # does he take?:scratch: I'm thinking either 8 or 24.:D

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now there is some truth in this. The 3 point shot is much more of a weapon today than it was in the DT era. So today's players are much better at it. If they get hot and are dropping 3's right in guys faces...then yeah, the current guys win.

I don't think they can do that for 4 out of 7 games though.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChiefsLakers67

Hey I thought of something nice to say about Kobe. Here it goes. I have finally found someone out there that's a bigger jackass than Kobe. Papa Ball. But Kobe's still a very close 2nd.

#don'tfixthelakerstheyaren'tbroken

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now there is some truth in this. The 3 point shot is much more of a weapon today than it was in the DT era. So today's players are much better at it. If they get hot and are dropping 3's right in guys faces...then yeah, the current guys win.

I don't think they can do that for 4 out of 7 games though.

I got the original Dream Team winning that 7 game series in 3. Jordan will find a way.