• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I can make a team today to beat the 1992 Dream Team

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but you said he would not be a superstar today. A "high level" is not that. He would dominate on defense.

There is no such thing as a superstar who dominates on defense and is merely okay offensively.

Superstars are elite players. The best of the best. Today, they are LeBron, Harden, Westbrook, KD, with solid arguments for Davis, Curry, Giannis and Kawhi.

The league was different then. Yes, I understand Russell's impact on winning, but at the same time he is hands down the most overrated player in NBA history. The Celtics had many great players. Russell was their best, sure, but he wasn't the best individual of his own era. That would be Wilt.

There are defensive savants in the game today also. None of them are anywhere close to being considered superstars unless they are also great offensive players like Kawhi.

Look, I am all about great defense and firmly believe quality defense is necessary to win titles, but, great offensive players have more impact on games than great defensive players. That is fact. Great offense beats great defense. The best teams and players are able to to both at a high level.

Guidry79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no such thing as a superstar who dominates on defense and is merely okay offensively.

Superstars are elite players. The best of the best. Today, they are LeBron, Harden, Westbrook, KD, with solid arguments for Davis, Curry, Giannis and Kawhi.

The league was different then. Yes, I understand Russell's impact on winning, but at the same time he is hands down the most overrated player in NBA history. The Celtics had many great players. Russell was their best, sure, but he wasn't the best individual of his own era. That would be Wilt.

There are defensive savants in the game today also. None of them are anywhere close to being considered superstars unless they are also great offensive players like Kawhi.

Look, I am all about great defense and firmly believe quality defense is necessary to win titles, but, great offensive players have more impact on games than great defensive players. That is fact. Great offense beats great defense. The best teams and players are able to to both at a high level.
OK I'm done. Go find what Bill Bradley had to say about Russell. I think he knows a tiny bit more than you. You simply don't know very much about the NBA in the 1960's, and that's OK.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell defies stats. You don't need him for O.
How many 'superstars' are just defensive studs? Is Draymond a superstar? Was Dikembe Mutombo? Dennis Rodman?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I'm done. Go find what Bill Bradley had to say about Russell. I think he knows a tiny bit more than you. You simply don't know very much about the NBA in the 1960's, and that's OK.
That's just it. You are talking about Russell in the 60s and we are talking about Russell in the 2010s

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are all too young.

Ok bro.

So you really think Bill Russell could be the best player on a championship caliber team in today's NBA?

No chance.

I would love to have him on my team for sure. But, in a Draymond type role where you have a couple other guys who are legit stars.

There has been 1 team since 1980 to win a championship without a legitimate offensive superstar. Only 1. There is a reason for that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are all too young.

Or, maybe, just maybe,

You are tired from walking uphill barefoot in the snow both too and from school as a child and you aren't thinking straight.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok bro.

So you really think Bill Russell could be the best player on a championship caliber team in today's NBA?

No chance.

I would love to have him on my team for sure. But, in a Draymond type role where you have a couple other guys who are legit stars.

There has been 1 team since 1980 to win a championship without a legitimate offensive superstar. Only 1. There is a reason for that.

Yeah it is kinda amazing that the '04 Pistons won it all w/ Darko Milicic being their best player. Lakers choked that title away big time!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compete for 4 quarters? Avgminutes per game for their careers: Wilt/Russ/Oscar/West/Elgin = 42, Bird/Magic/Jordan/Hakeem/Malone = 37, LBJ/Durant/David/Harden/Stpeh = 36. I think the more recent guys are more likely to be huffing and puffing by the fourth quarter! I'll stick with my elites, in 6 games.

The guys from the past wouldn't fade because they are tired. They'd fade because they couldn't keep up athletically or deal with the size of today's players. The difference in training, nutrition, etc. makes today's players bigger and more athletic. That size and athleticism eventually takes over. It's inevitable.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you started watching the NBA in 1970, you have no idea what Chamberlain or Baylor looked like in their prime, you saw the tail end of West and Oscar, and you missed Bill Russell entirely.

I know what Wilt, etc. were like in their prime. I've seen plenty of their highlights and watched plenty of their games on video.