• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I can make a team today to beat the 1992 Dream Team

pittpnthrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody would take an open layup over an open 3.

But, a contested shot at the rim is a far worse shot than an open 3, and it isn't close.

Its all good. I'd rather stick with the higher percentage shots and those are 2 pointers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ, Pippen, Barkley, Ewing, Karl Malone and Drexler would take turns dunking on him. That is until Barkley or Malone broke him in half.

Are you saying that Malone and/or Barkley would cheap shot KD? I guess that's possible. Dirty play was far more common back then. Modern rules, Barkley would likely get T'd out of most games today.

If you read my posts like you said you did, you'd know why this is an incorrect statement. I named 2 specific reasons...his frame was only one of them.

Slap yourself twice.

When people argue that have to keep re-reading their numerous posts to get their point, that usually means they don't have one. I know what your two points. I reject out of hand the times were different argument unless you are willing to concede that it works both ways.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1999-2000 had 4 playes average over 3 blocks a game. Shawn Bradley averaged more blocks this year than anyone in the current NBA.

Current NBA? No one averages over 3 blocks a game

1992 - 5 guys averaged over 3 blocks per game, the Dream average 4 per game.
Shaq, Dream, Zo, Dikembe, The admiral

Needless to say the definition of rim protector has changed aka they don't make big men like they used to.

Last edited:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Ostertag averaged 2.12 blocks per game in 1999-00 and that's what Anthony Davis is currently averaging today. 1999-2000 Raef LaFrentz would be in 2nd place in blocks per game in todays NBA

Kansas big men dominating! :dhd:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Ostertag averaged 2.12 blocks per game in 1999-00 and that's what Anthony Davis is currently averaging today. 1999-2000 Raef LaFrentz would be in 2nd place in blocks per game in todays NBA

Kansas big men dominating! :dhd:

how 'bout Mark Eaton, who was fly-swatting about 3 and a half a game for his CAREER...?

bigs took pride in rim protection back in the day...

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how 'bout Mark Eaton, who was fly-swatting about 3 and a half a game for his CAREER...?

bigs took pride in rim protection back in the day...

Nothing was easy in the paint and around the rim. What's interesting is that today's NBA is alot less punishing when going to the rack too.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, Laetner is pretty easy to outmatch today too.

I really don't see 90's era guys beating Steph, Durant, LeBron and whoever you want to start with them.

(You can do it with just Americans imo.)

Hush yer whore mouth!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that Malone and/or Barkley would cheap shot KD? I guess that's possible.

Yeah, that's what I said. :L

When people argue that have to keep re-reading their numerous posts to get their point, that usually means they don't have one. I know what your two points. I reject out of hand the times were different argument unless you are willing to concede that it works both ways.

When someone decides to pick only one point when others were made, usually means they're just looking to argue or are too stupid to grasp more than one point.

Rejecting the fact that times were different just means you now need to slap yourself 3 times.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's what I said. :L

Well you are more vague about it. That's true.

When someone decides to pick only one point when others were made, usually means they're just looking to argue or are too stupid to grasp more than one point.

Rejecting the fact that times were different just means you now need to slap yourself 3 times.

Yes times were different. That works both ways though. Do you think those 90s players would struggle adjusting to the modern game?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes times were different. That works both ways though. Do you think those 90s players would struggle adjusting to the modern game?

It's still bball. It's not that different. It was just harder on the body back then/more punishing for anyone coming into the paint.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still bball. It's not that different. It was just harder on the body back then/more punishing for anyone coming into the paint.

It is still hoops. But the game has changed for a number of reasons.

Do you REALLY think Shawn Bradley is a better rim protector than ANYONE today? Wold you honestly take Shawn Bradley over Rudy Gobert for defensive purposes?

Perhaps Bradley challenged more shots than defenders do today because of the nature of the game. Post ups to the center were FAR more common back then than they are today. Today's game isn't about one on one challenges. It's about space and creating open shots. The high pick and roll has, in many ways, replaced the iso play. This is, naturally, going to reduce the number of blocks.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't vague at all. If you can't understand that "breaking him in half" was a joking way of saying they'd be dunking on him a lot, like everyone else was able to understand, then slapping yourself may not be enough.

Offensively, probably. Defensively, not really. They'd have to extend their defense to the 3 point line and switcvh more on the perimeter, which are minor adjustments.

Today's game is far less physical and players simply don't attack the rim the way they did in the DT era. So today's players would have a fair bit more adjusting to do than the DT.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is still hoops. But the game has changed for a number of reasons.

Do you REALLY think Shawn Bradley is a better rim protector than ANYONE today? Wold you honestly take Shawn Bradley over Rudy Gobert for defensive purposes?

Perhaps Bradley challenged more shots than defenders do today because of the nature of the game. Post ups to the center were FAR more common back then than they are today. Today's game isn't about one on one challenges. It's about space and creating open shots. The high pick and roll has, in many ways, replaced the iso play. This is, naturally, going to reduce the number of blocks.

I said the definition of rim protector has changed. The game is still bball. Goal is still the same and the team that gets the most stops wins 90% of the time.

Just thought it was interesting the stats for blocks over the years. Definitely less buckets in the paint which is interesting seeing how less physical the game is. ISO/2 man game is different but it's not like the guys in the 90s couldn't adjust. As soon as you double Jordan or
Magic they can find the open guy. But they would pound it down low and try to control the game as well. Teams back then wore you down

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't vague at all. If you can't understand that "breaking him in half" was a joking way of saying they'd be dunking on him a lot, like everyone else was able to understand, then slapping yourself may not be enough.

Obviously you were be facetious with the breaking in half comment. The issue is this mythologized belief that the 90s basketball players were so much tough and stronger. That's simply absurd.

Offensively, probably. Defensively, not really. They'd have to extend their defense to the 3 point line and switcvh more on the perimeter, which are minor adjustments.

And adjust to the high pick and roll without fouling out.

Today's game is far less physical and players simply don't attack the rim the way they did in the DT era. So today's players would have a fair bit more adjusting to do than the DT.

The game is less physical because they call the game tighter. Fouls that happened in just about every game in the 90s now are flagrant-2s. Get called for a couple of those and you will QUICKLY stop with those fouls.

The game is different today because it is called differently. But if people really think that today's NBA players would wilt under a more physical style of basketball, I find that naive.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the definition of rim protector has changed. The game is still bball. Goal is still the same and the team that gets the most stops wins 90% of the time.

Just thought it was interesting the stats for blocks over the years. Definitely less buckets in the paint which is interesting seeing how less physical the game is. ISO/2 man game is different but it's not like the guys in the 90s couldn't adjust. As soon as you double Jordan or
Magic they can find the open guy. But they would pound it down low and try to control the game as well. Teams back then wore you down

They wouldn't double Jordan. They would play zone and force Jordan to beat the defender off the dribble and then get around the front court defense when he does. Suggesting that the DT would wear them down suggests that the DT were in better physical condition than a modern DT would be. That is not believable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you were be facetious with the breaking in half comment. The issue is this mythologized belief that the 90s basketball players were so much tough and stronger. That's simply absurd.

No it isn't. They were. If you think KD is standing up to the physical play of guys like Ewing, Barkley and Malone, or that he's prepared to handle guys attacking the rim the way they did in the DT era, you're absurd.

And if you knew I was being facetious, why did you post that stupid crap you posted. Oh wait, let me guess...you were being facetious too. :rolleyes2:

And adjust to the high pick and roll without fouling out.

Yes.

The game is less physical because they call the game tighter. Fouls that happened in just about every game in the 90s now are flagrant-2s. Get called for a couple of those and you will QUICKLY stop with those fouls.

The game is different today because it is called differently. But if people really think that today's NBA players would wilt under a more physical style of basketball, I find that naive.

Sure the game is called differently, but that's not why it's less physical. It's less physical because the emphasis has changed and it's played more like it was in the 80's. Although it is still less physical than the 80's.

Additionally, the discussion is about rim protection and attacking the rim. They don't attack the rim like the did in the DT era so todays bigs aren't used to it. Which has also already been explained.

I'm done wasting my time with you. You're bullshit picking 1 point when there are more and trying to take things out of context just to argue has grown tiresome and boring.