• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I attended the Lions practice today...........

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions had a practice open to the public from 2-4 today. Since I live literally 5 minutes from their practice facility -- I decided to take my son up to watch some of it.

A couple of things I took away from the practice:

1. Calvin Johnson is bigger in person than he appears to be on TV. He was standing right in front of us on the sidelines and he is an absolute monster. Unfortunately -- they didn't do too much passing when we were watching, so he didn't do anything but stand on the sideline while I was there.

2. Dominic Raoila looks really fat compared to the other OL. I didn't get to see all of the OL, but Hilliard, Reiff and another guy who must be a roster filler walked by and they are built like TE's. Raoila looks like he is built like a bowling ball for some reason.

3. At one point -- Calvin Johnson, Kris Durham, Joe Fauria, Brandon Pettigrew and whoever #82 is on the roster (couldn't read the name) were all standing next to each other and they looked more like a basketball team than a football. Another guy who is much taller than I thought he'd be -- Dan Orvlosky.

4. TJ Jones better have some moves on the football field, because if he gets hit hard -- He looks like he will break in half. He seriously looks like a 16 year old kid. I thought he was a ball boy until I saw him walk over and start signing autographs for some people. Maybe it was because he was in street clothes, but Jeremy Ross looks like a frickin' tank compared to TJ Jones.

5. Contrary to popular belief -- Mikel LeShoure doesn't look faster in person. Detroit ran all running plays while I was there and he looked like he was in slow motion compared to the other backs. Granted the other backs were smaller, but I'm not too sold on LeShoure having much of an impact.

6. Stafford actually doesn't look frumpy in person. He actually looked pretty svelte. Not sure if he lost some weight or if it was the red jersey he was wearing or maybe the fact they were only wearing shoulders and shorts, but he looked like he was in good shape.

7. Kellen Moore looks really small compared to the other two QBs. I loved how he played in the last exhibition, but man, he looks like he would be very fragile if one of the those huge DL fell on top of him.

8. If you are ever thinking of going to watch one of the free fan Lions practices in the future -- I highly recommend it. You get an up close look at the team and players, it is very fan friendly and they run shuttles to and from the parking lots where the fans park, so you don't have to walk a mile to get to the practice field.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attended their practice last Thursday. It was my first time doing that. It was definitely a neat experience.

I have to agree about Raiola. Dude just looks like he lost his neck and can't un-arch his back.

CJ was not there that day, but one guy I didn't realize was soooo tall was Fauria. I mean, I knew he was tall, but to see him in person, he looked monstrous. I can understand why he caught 7 redzone TDs last year.

Rashean Mathis was looking very quick and was probably the coolest guy we got to meet. He came through and not only autographed some stuff, he was interacting with my oldest boy. He was joking with him and just being a friendly guy. I think that's the part we as fans forget about these players. They're human too, and while not all of them are nice guys, a lot of them are and do not hesitate to take the time to sign stuff for fans and chit chat a bit.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed how Stafford looked trimmed down. I'd like to think Lombardi has helped him prepare better for the upcoming(and future) season(s).

One thing I will say, is that I hope Ihedigbo isn't going to return punts anytime soon. He was helping the punters warm up and he dropped 4 out of 5 punts I saw. I'm sure he won't in games, but just wanted to point that out. ;)

All in all, I thought it was a great experience. I would definitely do it again.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading about Stafford hitting the weights hard after his second year (the 2010 season) and really changing his body composition.

He came in a little chubby and soft, but he certainly isn't anymore. I think the "moobs" comments and such are just carry-over from back then, 'cause if you see him in person he's a well-built fella...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ was not there that day, but one guy I didn't realize was soooo tall was Fauria. I mean, I knew he was tall, but to see him in PERSON, he looked monstrous. I can understand why he caught 7 redzone TDs last year.

Yeah -- Fauria is the one guy who was bigger than Calvin Johnson. As you said -- I knew he was tall, but I wasn't expecting him to be that tall. He looks like he should be playing power forward for the pistons instead of TE for the Lions.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came through and not only autographed some stuff, he was interacting with my oldest boy.

I wish I could have stayed a little longer to get some more pictures and maybe a couple autographs with a few players. Unfortunately, my boy is only 15 months old, so he was more interested with playing in the grass and throwing the mini football they gave him as we walked in.

Another cool thing we got to experience -- My mom was at the practice too with a few of her friends and the head of the medical staff for the Lions is one of her clients. He stopped over to meet my son and gave him a player towel, a detroit lions training camp shirt and another mini football.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading about Stafford hitting the weights hard after his second year (the 2010 season) and really changing his body composition.

He came in a little chubby and soft, but he certainly isn't anymore. I think the "moobs" comments and such are just carry-over from back then, 'cause if you see him in person he's a well-built fella...

He will foreva be Mr.Moobs

He can win a Mr. Universe and I will still call him Moobs... albeit behind his back, but none the less.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can win a Mr. Universe and I will still call him Moobs... albeit behind his back, but none the less.

Come on Gandy. If Mr. Moobs can change, so can you.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your kid could probably sub a few snaps at CB and the D wouldn't miss a beat.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is because you are used to seeing him on his back.

Also because Dan O gets a lot closer to the fans than other players because of his little running out the the back of the end zone habit.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travis Swanson is supposedly coming along quickly and is very quick n the line calls. So this is probably Dom's last year in Detroit.

I still think the Lions backup QB is not on their roster right now.

LeShoure IMO is not going to be on the team. It's cheaper to keep Miller or Winn especially if they need a KO guy.

I have seen CJ before in person and I thought he was a pro basketball player / power forward.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You got a lot of room to talk with your saggy ass titties Gandy Boy!!!!!!!!!!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You got a lot of room to talk with your saggy ass titties Gandy Boy!!!!!!!!!!

That hand me down you gave works great. Really supports my lower back. Thanks big brother!

manzier.jpg

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron looks like a power forward until you mus meet power forwards. You don't realize how tall they are because even the short guys on the court are 6'2". I'm not short and it seemed like i came up to Blake Griffin and Kevin Durant's nipples. Shit Billups is actually tall and look short as shit on the court.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megatron looks like a power forward until you mus meet power forwards. You don't realize how tall they are because even the short guys on the court are 6'2". I'm not short and it seemed like i came up to Blake Griffin and Kevin Durant's nipples. Shit Billups is actually tall and look short as shit on the court.

Of course you would talk about Blake Griffin's nipples...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very true. The guys in the NBA are obnoxiously tall. It just seemed really strange to see a couple TE's and a couple WR's standing next to each other and every guy was 6'5" and up. It made them looked extremely tall, as guys like Golden Tate were standing next to them as well.

It is probably the same with TJ Jones. I not sure of his measureables. But he was in street clothes, standing by those guys and the entire time I thought he was a ball boy until he started signing autographs. He looked like he could be the son of one of the coaches.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you had a great time with the visit to practice.