• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2017 Season

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty the program is right where it needs to be! Last year was great and all, but they aren't built yet to be in the playoffs every year.

10 win season this year to me is a success, replacing a whole secondary, lost the fastest man in the NFL,is actually a lot to replace to stay competitive.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want my opinion about how Browning will do his senior season you first have to answer me if any of his younger WR's step up. Does McClatcher come back and kill it. Do the TE's play solid in the passing game. And of course, what kind of line will he have. Give him weapons and a decent line and I think he does well. Ahmed will be just fine in the backfield.

By the time Sirmon comes in I think they are on the climb again. One of those QB's coming in hopefully hits the ground running and makes us not miss Browning at all.

I actually was about to post something similar.

Does Chico come back and kill it? My unfortunate answer is that I doubt it. Chico never seemed to be able to develop the route running skills necessary to be an above average outside WR, or even a decent slot threat. Chico's value will always be for his specific skill-set with the ball in his hands or on reverse plays. He's not a guy who is going to get open or get many looks on third down. Even though he put up solid numbers last year, much of it was on one big play here or there. That's pretty much what he's good for. It plays a valuable role in the offense, but he is not a traditional WR in the Pettis or Ross mold.

Do the TEs play solid in the passing game? I think so. Hunter Bryant has shown great flashes so far and I loved what I saw from him coming out of high school. Bryant plays a lot faster than his 40 time would indicate. The blocking needs work, but he's only going to continue to improve as a receiver. He's a guy with the receiving ability the Huskies can utilize out wide or in the slot to exploit match ups. I think you really get an impression of his receiving ability from the Cal game.

I'll be honest, I might be more comfortable with the Huskies with a QB like Sirmon. I think his ceiling might be higher. Browning is a great game manager, but at times it's obvious that he lacks the arm strength to make certain throws with the zip necessary to fit it into tight coverage. He can have great touch at times and has put up great numbers for us, but he is limited physically. Sirmon I don't believe has those limitations and could be even better.

Really excited about Salvon Ahmed's future. Dude ran like a 4.32 or something insane like that in high school, and was so impressive to the UW coaching staff he's getting a lot of looks as a true freshman - not because of necessity but because the coaches just can't justify keeping him off the field. I almost wouldn't be too concerned if both Gaskin and Coleman left simply because I think Ahmed has a higher ceiling than either of them.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are two glaring issues with Browning IMO:
He never played under pressure in high school and really hasn't developed the ability to play consistently when things are going wrong at this level.

He doesn't throw guys open or throw with anticipation. He can hit a lot of deep routes, but doesn't try them unless they are already open. Well normally anyway. There is that odd one like Pounds TD catch a couple of weeks ago. Part of that is how much air he puts under his deep ball.

He's a very accurate thrower most of the time. Usually does a good job of throwing it away when he needs to and extending plays on broken pockets when he can. But give him looks he's not ready for or have him hearing footsteps and he's really not going to be all that accurate or consistent.

I wouldn't call him a 'system QB' as much as a guy that needs the right parts around him. Put him behind a solid line and he would fine in just about any type of passing offense. Just don't expect him to throw guys open.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the WRs, it will likely once again be one of the biggest offseason storylines.

The class of commits for the 2017 and 2018 classes have been strong:
-Terrell Bynum: 4* 2017
-Ty Jones: 4* 2017
-Alex Cook: 3* 2017
-Marquise Spiker: 4* 2018
-Austin Osborne: 4* 2018
-Devin Culp: 3* 2018

Unfortunately I don't believe any of the three 2017 commits has a catch yet. Hopefully someone from that group along with the 2018 class will really step it up because I don't see much from anyone other than Bryant and Pettis

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are two glaring issues with Browning IMO:
He never played under pressure in high school and really hasn't developed the ability to play consistently when things are going wrong at this level.

He doesn't throw guys open or throw with anticipation. He can hit a lot of deep routes, but doesn't try them unless they are already open. Well normally anyway. There is that odd one like Pounds TD catch a couple of weeks ago. Part of that is how much air he puts under his deep ball.

He's a very accurate thrower most of the time. Usually does a good job of throwing it away when he needs to and extending plays on broken pockets when he can. But give him looks he's not ready for or have him hearing footsteps and he's really not going to be all that accurate or consistent.

I wouldn't call him a 'system QB' as much as a guy that needs the right parts around him. Put him behind a solid line and he would fine in just about any type of passing offense. Just don't expect him to throw guys open.

I agree. He gets nervous under pressure and doesn't seem to have the arm ability to throw guys open or try to fit passes into small windows. He can put great touch on a low of throws and doesn't make many mistakes, but he doesn't necessarily create much himself.

I think he is somewhat a system QB. There are a number of limitations he faces that someone with a stronger arm wouldn't.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What We Learned: Arizona State

THERE ARE 20 COMMENTS.
Run game
I would argue that the run game is doing okay, and should have been leaned on a lot more in this game. While I love what Coach Petersen has brought to the UW, I struggle with what I consider the lack of commitment to the run game. Perhaps it is Jake changing the play at the line, or that the team passes to set up the run game. But the RBs were not the problem against ASU. Take away the Browning runs and you have this line: 21 rushes for 115 yards, 5.5 ypc. And that was without the Ahmed TD run. The Huskies have two top RBs in the PAC-12, use them.

Posted by Benno on Oct 18, 2017 | 8:27 AM

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. He gets nervous under pressure and doesn't seem to have the arm ability to throw guys open or try to fit passes into small windows. He can put great touch on a low of throws and doesn't make many mistakes, but he doesn't necessarily create much himself.

I think he is somewhat a system QB. There are a number of limitations he faces that someone with a stronger arm wouldn't.

You mean Like Darnold, who turns the ball over all the time?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What We Learned: Arizona State

THERE ARE 20 COMMENTS.
Run game
I would argue that the run game is doing okay, and should have been leaned on a lot more in this game. While I love what Coach Petersen has brought to the UW, I struggle with what I consider the lack of commitment to the run game. Perhaps it is Jake changing the play at the line, or that the team passes to set up the run game. But the RBs were not the problem against ASU. Take away the Browning runs and you have this line: 21 rushes for 115 yards, 5.5 ypc. And that was without the Ahmed TD run. The Huskies have two top RBs in the PAC-12, use them.

Posted by Benno on Oct 18, 2017 | 8:27 AM

Is that Benno Cook?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean Like Darnold, who turns the ball over all the time?

I think Darnold is much more gifted physically. Although I see your point. Some of our games would look a lot different if Browning had the turnovers that Darnold has had. Browning is a good fit for this scheme, I'm just saying I wish we had a QB with Browning's mind and accuracy but with a stronger arm.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PM me that group name buddy....Please...
btw I'm banned from Facebook for two more weeks but there's two other admins in there accepting new members. Some snowflake asshole in that group reported me for posting a Hitler pic.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Darnold is much more gifted physically. Although I see your point. Some of our games would look a lot different if Browning had the turnovers that Darnold has had. Browning is a good fit for this scheme, I'm just saying I wish we had a QB with Browning's mind and accuracy but with a stronger arm.

Well to be far here, he's Pete's first real QB in the program. Let's face it Sark didn't have squat here in that department, ( Who was the kid that beat up the Seahawk fan?)

Plus after my research on the oline men yesterday it is a process, there picking and choosing their kind of guys, and it's not like there is a specific mold on them, plus as long as Pete's been here how many kids have gotten negative press for assault or a crime?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be far here, he's Pete's first real QB in the program. Let's face it Sark didn't have squat here in that department, ( Who was the kid that beat up the Seahawk fan?)

Plus after my research on the oline men yesterday it is a process, there picking and choosing their kind of guys, and it's not like there is a specific mold on them, plus as long as Pete's been here how many kids have gotten negative press for assault or a crime?

Yeah I feel you there. I'm not shitting on Jake Browning at all. I just think he's more Kellen Moore than Andrew Luck.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Politics isn't allowed in that group but that group is probably 70% Hillary/Obama loving pricks and they still haven't got over the time I used this avi as my FB profile pic. They came unglued and I had to switch profile pics before they went into full meltdown mode.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Politics isn't allowed in that group but that group is probably 70% Hillary/Obama loving pricks and they still haven't got over the time I used this avi as my FB profile pic. They came unglued and I had to switch profile pics before they went into full meltdown mode.

Not sure how surprised you should be when it's UW, lol.