• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How would you feel is soccer became the biggest sport in America?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2vae1y8.png

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about it. Even soccer playing kids turn to football when the get to high school.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because Americans lack sophistication. It's a great sport once you get the hang of it. If our best athletes played the game, interest would soar.

Might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on the hoop!

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about it. Even soccer playing kids turn to football when the get to high school.

Lot of truth to that. Soccer can be great fun to play. Being a spectator, even on the sidelines of the team you play for, lacks a certain something. My personal experience has been the gulf between playing and watching is less with a game like American football than with soccer.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football players wear a lot of gear. Let them play football with the same gear as soccer players and see how that works out.

I've seen football players fake injuries on defense to stop the clock.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because Americans lack sophistication. It's a great sport once you get the hang of it. If our best athletes played the game, interest would soar.

Or if the arrogance of some soccer fans that results in them putting down others just because they don't like the sport stops, maybe that would help to increase interest as well...

You seldom see fans of other sports feeling the need to put others down or act as if it is them that is "wrong" just because they don't like "their" sport.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inferiority complex

Soccer fans continuously remind us Americans that soccer is the world's most popular sport...U.S. has roughly 320 million people...a small blip of the world's population...it's not too difficult to figure that out.

Assuming something is already entrenched, it's very difficult to change the sports culture in a country...period. Maybe the next generation, but soccer will likely continue to be a niche sport for the next 20 yrs or so.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH-BOY-ITS-THIS-THREAD-AGAIN.jpg

Seriously, we need at least 5 more threads asking about the opinions of a board mostly against soccer to begin with, what their views on the expansion of the sport in this country are. We haven't quite yet had our fill of smug haters versus arrogant soccer fans. No, really we haven't. :L

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously, we need at least 5 more threads asking about the opinions of a board mostly against soccer to begin with, what their views on the expansion of the sport in this country are. We haven't quite yet had our fill of smug haters versus arrogant soccer fans. No, really we haven't. :L

Idk about "against" but I think the realist understand it's growing sport here...whereas the diehard fan wants it recognized as something that it's not...not yet anyway.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk about "against" but I think the realist understand it's growing sport here...whereas the diehard fan wants it recognized as something that it's not...not yet anyway.

I would say the overwhelming majority of regular SportsHoopla visitors are against soccer. That is, they seriously dislike and/or mock it. Kind of a microcosm of the overall sports base in the country. Hell, look at how many go out of their way to tell everyone how much they dislike soccer on every soccer thread. There is nothing making them watch the sport, nor read the posts on the soccer board and yet they feel the need to take a shit on it every chance they get.

The point of my post is this conversation has already been hashed out pretty well. We don't need 10 more threads on the topic. If there is more to be said it should probably be on one of the already existing versions of it.

I don't care much about the battle between the lovers and the haters really as I'm somewhere in between. At the end of the day I only care about what I enjoy spending my time doing. Couldn't give a fuck less how many other Americans also enjoy the soccer events I do watch, nor how many hate it.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this thread have in common with _________________?

The OP is from Texas, fan of Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Mavericks, enough said.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first team sport I played was soccer, what we call AYSO in California. I've loved this game for decades.... I also played basketball, baseball, tennis, ping pong etc.

Soccer has never taken off because TV does not like the format and lack of advertising opportunities, so we are sold TV made sports like American Football (which I am also a huge fan of).

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would start praying for the asteroid. At that point it would be time to start over.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the overwhelming majority of regular SportsHoopla visitors are against soccer. That is, they seriously dislike and/or mock it. Kind of a microcosm of the overall sports base in the country. Hell, look at how many go out of their way to tell everyone how much they dislike soccer on every soccer thread. There is nothing making them watch the sport, nor read the posts on the soccer board and yet they feel the need to take a shit on it every chance they get.

The point of my post is this conversation has already been hashed out pretty well. We don't need 10 more threads on the topic. If there is more to be said it should probably be on one of the already existing versions of it.

I don't care much about the battle between the lovers and the haters really as I'm somewhere in between. At the end of the day I only care about what I enjoy spending my time doing. Couldn't give a fuck less how many other Americans also enjoy the soccer events I do watch, nor how many hate it.

You could be spot with your point in bold...I don't follow the sport enough to like it or dislike it to be honest, and the same applies to the threads here...I didn't even realize there were a bunch of existing threads...I liken that to sports talk media people that constantly reset topics...I asked a guy once why do they do that...answer, well it's part of the training for one, but the reason is the audience is constantly changing

JMO...but I think some of the haters if you will are responding to the lovers that make it seems as if you're in the dinosaur era if you don't like the sport.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither side is to blame for the argument, or both are. Sure, soccer fans are always reminding non fans about how popular it is around the rest of the world, but why? Mostly because someone has told them how stupid/shitty/boring the game is in the first place. So who is to blame? Really all of them for bothering to respond to the other side in the first place.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, seeing the opinions of people about this sport, and them trying to deduce the growing popularity of it in America to our culture being raped by immigrants, makes me want to see what your preaching come true.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously, we need at least 5 more threads started by the same OP asking about the opinions of a board mostly against soccer to begin with, what their views on the expansion of the sport in this country are. We haven't quite yet had our fill of smug haters versus arrogant soccer fans. No, really we haven't. :L

fify