• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How the NFL could have looked in 1980...

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they ever discussed doing this. It would have been so much easier back then with only 28 teams. Who remembers 1980?

East (5)--Eagles, Giants, Jets, Patriots, Redskins

Central
(5)--Bengals, Bills, Browns, Colts, Steelers

North
(4)--Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings

South
(4)--Buccaneers, Dolphins, Falcons, Saints

Midwest
(5)--Broncos, Cardinals, Chiefs, Cowboys, Oilers

West
(5)--49ers, Chargers, Raiders, Rams, Seahawks

Keep in mind:
Cardinals (St Louis)
Chargers (San Diego)

Colts (Baltimore)
*Oilers (Houston)
Raiders (Oakland)
*became Tennessee Titans

Not yet in existence:
Baltimore Ravens
Carolina Panthers
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have no idea what this is trying to say?

but as a Giant fan I get trying to get rid of the Cowboys. (in that time time period)

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins Cowboys rivalry is the reason they have never moved the Cowboys from the East.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the conferences? That’s absolutely pro travel, but it’s also just not realm of reality.

I’ve often flirted with some rebalancing ideas with geographic improvements, while also keeping as much rivalry as possible. I’ve just never considered it outside of the realm of two conferences.

Not an easy exercise.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a related note, today I went to CVS and I saw 3/$3.00 Mike and Ikes. Now being a big fan of Mike and Ikes I was like, "DAMN what a deal!" These were the bigger boxes too. I grabbed Mike and Ikes original, tropical, AND Hot Tamales. I mean all same Company, and everything.

I get to the check out line and BAM, $5. I gasped at the screen and called an attendant over who was wearing a mask and everything.

Before she approached I said, "Don't worry I'm healthy, and I have a condom on." Well she got all pissy and offended by this while I'm just trying to help and after her manager calmed her down I was FINALLY asked what the problem was. I pointed to the screen and my merchandise and she said, "They have to be all the same brand." I screamed, "THEY ARE! Just Born manufactures all these products!" The lady said, "Who is Just Born?" And just stood there with a confused face... like OH YAH, I'M SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THIS FAT BITCH (talking a deuce, maybe a deuce and a half) doesn't know what I'M talking about!

I felt there was no other option at this point but to grab a nearby Coca Cola Liter, jam Mentos into it and fire it at the ignorant and absolutely despicable CVS employees. As they were doused with fizzy jiz- erm, soda, I made my escape with the 3 packages of sweets and shoved an old lady to the ground entering the store on my exit (it's fine, she probably walked it off).

Back home now... kind of feeling guilty while flicking around the Tropical Mike and Ikes on my desk... in hindsight... I think I might've overreacted.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a related note, today I went to CVS and I saw 3/$3.00 Mike and Ikes. Now being a big fan of Mike and Ikes I was like, "DAMN what a deal!" These were the bigger boxes too. I grabbed Mike and Ikes original, tropical, AND Hot Tamales. I mean all same Company, and everything.

I get to the check out line and BAM, $5. I gasped at the screen and called an attendant over who was wearing a mask and everything.

Before she approached I said, "Don't worry I'm healthy, and I have a condom on." Well she got all pissy and offended by this while I'm just trying to help and after her manager calmed her down I was FINALLY asked what the problem was. I pointed to the screen and my merchandise and she said, "They have to be all the same brand." I screamed, "THEY ARE! Just Born manufactures all these products!" The lady said, "Who is Just Born?" And just stood there with a confused face... like OH YAH, I'M SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THIS FAT BITCH (talking a deuce, maybe a deuce and a half) doesn't know what I'M talking about!

I felt there was no other option at this point but to grab a nearby Coca Cola Liter, jam Mentos into it and fire it at the ignorant and absolutely despicable CVS employees. As they were doused with fizzy jiz- erm, soda, I made my escape with the 3 packages of sweets and shoved an old lady to the ground entering the store on my exit (it's fine, she probably walked it off).

Back home now... kind of feeling guilty while flicking around the Tropical Mike and Ikes on my desk... in hindsight... I think I might've overreacted.
th

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Philly and Dallas had a pretty heated rivalry too

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That story doesn't seem believable. No one would leave the store in that situation without grabbing a couple packs of Goldenberg's Peanut Chews.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they had done this for the 1970 merger (26 teams)?

North (5)--Bengals, Bills, Browns, Patriots, Steelers

South (5)--Cowboys, Dolphins, Falcons, Oilers, Saints

Central (6)--Bears, Cardinals, Chiefs, Lions, Packers, Vikings

East (5)--Colts, Eagles, Giants, Jets, Redskins

West (5)--49ers, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Rams

I think they could've gone conference free back then with 5 division winners and 3 wildcards.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best division in football was, is and will always be the NFCE

No way they were going to break that up

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they had done this for the 1970 merger (26 teams)?

North (5)--Bengals, Bills, Browns, Patriots, Steelers

South (5)--Cowboys, Dolphins, Falcons, Oilers, Saints

Central (6)--Bears, Cardinals, Chiefs, Lions, Packers, Vikings

West (5)--49ers, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Rams

I think they could've gone conference free
back then with 5 division winners and 3 wildcards.
Yeah I dont see that ever happening.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do remember how funny it was for Dallas to be considered East, Tampa Bay to be Central and New Orleans and Atlanta were West.

1980s NFL failed geography class.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do remember how funny it was for Dallas to be considered East, Tampa Bay to be Central and New Orleans and Atlanta were West. 1980s NFL failed geography class.
Actually, in 1976, these were the teams that were "misplaced". Yes, the Bucs were originally in the AFC West their first season....and the only perfect season they've ever had (0-14) LOL.
AFC Central--Oilers
AFC West--Chiefs, Buccaneers

NFC East--Cardinals, Cowboys
NFC West--Falcons, Saints

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1976 league could have looked like this (28 teams). I think they still could've gone conference free at this point, especially with only 8 playoff teams. It'd be a lot more difficult to do that today.

North (6)--Bears, Cardinals, Chiefs, Lions, Packers, Vikings
Central (5)--Bengals, Bills, Browns, Patriots, Steelers
West (6)--49ers, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Rams, Seahawks
South (6)--Buccaneers, Cowboys, Dolphins, Falcons, Oilers, Saints

If they seeded the playoff teams 1-8 in 1976.
(1)OAK (13-1) vs (8)WAS (10-4)
(4)BAL (11-3) vs (5)NE (11-3)

(2)MIN (11-2-1) vs (7)PIT (10-4)
(3)DAL (11-3) vs (6)LA (10-3-1)