• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much should Texas A&M charge the Seahawks so they can renew the ability to use the 12th man

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has renewed with Texas A&M twice so far paying them $5000 each time to be able to use the 12th man. The contract will be up again after next season. Should Texas A&M keep the price at $5000 or should they go for bigger money?

With all the Seattle fans now maybe make them all chip in $1 and Texas A&M could get much more than $5000.

Seahawks' '12th man' license expires next year - CBSSports.com

Seattle Seahawks fans are often collectively referred to as "the 12th man." They carry flags and wear jerseys with the number 12 on them, and players refer to them as "the 12's" in interviews, on Twitter and elsewhere. It's a fairly well-known moniker for the fan-base at this point.

Here's the thing, though: The Seahawks are only allowed to use that moniker for their fans because they licensed use of the term from Texas A&M University, which trademarked it in 1990. An agreement was made back in 2006 to allow the Seahawks to use the term for $5,000 per year. That agreement lasted until 2011, when it was renewed for another five years, meaning the license expires in 2016.

The Seahawks, obviously, will want to renew that licensing agreement, and Texas A&M told KREM2 they've already begun negotiations to renew, though it may cost more this time around, given how valuable it has become to the Seahawks. Seattle jerseys with the number 12 on them were in the top 15 in sales in the NFL this past season.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they were going with 12's instead of the 12th man, therefore not having to pay for the rights to use it. They have been referring to themselves as 12's this whole season probably testing it out before they make a decision.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the term "12th man" can licensed is ridiculous. Not quite as bad as "3peat" being copyrighted but pretty awful.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should sell the fans worthless pieces of paper and call them shares to pay for it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A&M shouldn't charge them more than a couple of million per year. Its basically free advertising for A&M at the college level, too.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the term "12th man" can licensed is ridiculous. Not quite as bad as "3peat" being copyrighted but pretty awful.

If "12th man" originated in Seattle, I am sure it wouldn't be ridiculous to you.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have called ourselves the 12's for a lot longer than just this year. The number 12 without 'th man' has been used for years. They are interchangeable.

Yes, TAMU copyrighted that term in 1990 which was well AFTER our team had been using it. It was kind of a bitch move really given it wasn't unique to them, nor something they invented. The term "Home of the 12th man" may be part of their legacy and that's fine, but it's a generic term used in several sports that have 11 players on the field like soccer.

It's asinine the trademark was ever granted, but the proof our use of it doesn't hurt them is that they keep licensing it in the first place.

Now they want to cash in more on it. So much for the only reason they are holding that trademark is to protect the integrity of their brand. It seems integrity has a price and now that Seattle is cashing in on their form of the brand TAMU wants to put their hand out to grab some of it.

I hope they don't take it and do what they can to move past this. Use 12's or the extra man or any of the other terms that were offered instead when this came up many years ago. They can't put the genie back in the bottle no matter what they do.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If "12th man" originated in Seattle, I am sure it wouldn't be ridiculous to you.

It originated in Iowa, not Texas. So that's a moot point.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof positive that there are way to many fucking lawyers in this country. I broke a shoe string this morning causing me to rap my nuckles on the coffee table. Think that should be worth a couple grand.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should sell the fans worthless pieces of paper and call them shares to pay for it.

That is the only thing that has allowed the Packers to stay in Green Bay.. and maybe not so "worthless" after all for those that do not want the Packers to move.

Honestly I prefer all the shareholders to having a Jerry Jones owning the team.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have called ourselves the 12's for a lot longer than just this year. The number 12 without 'th man' has been used for years. They are interchangeable.

Yes, TAMU copyrighted that term in 1990 which was well AFTER our team had been using it. It was kind of a bitch move really given it wasn't unique to them, nor something they invented. The term "Home of the 12th man" may be part of their legacy and that's fine, but it's a generic term used in several sports that have 11 players on the field like soccer.

It's asinine the trademark was ever granted, but the proof our use of it doesn't hurt them is that they keep licensing it in the first place.

Now they want to cash in more on it. So much for the only reason they are holding that trademark is to protect the integrity of their brand. It seems integrity has a price and now that Seattle is cashing in on their form of the brand TAMU wants to put their hand out to grab some of it.

I hope they don't take it and do what they can to move past this. Use 12's or the extra man or any of the other terms that were offered instead when this came up many years ago. They can't put the genie back in the bottle no matter what they do.

When $$ is involved, its going to happen like this. Especially these days. I figured it originated at TAMU and if that were the case, I understand them wanting to copyright but IMO I say either let others use it or not.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof positive that there are way to many fucking lawyers in this country. I broke a shoe string this morning causing me to rap my nuckles on the coffee table. Think that should be worth a couple grand.

Better call Saul.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just let the 'Hawks buy off the patent(trademark) if needed. They are the ones who made this term famous. Seattle and the 12 man are forever linked.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ok with being a 12, not necessarily a 12th man.
We retired the #12 in 1984.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the only thing that has allowed the Packers to stay in Green Bay.. and maybe not so "worthless" after all for those that do not want the Packers to move.

Honestly I prefer all the shareholders to having a Jerry Jones owning the team.
Yeah, is that why they just sold more a couple years ago? Face it, it's a kickstarter and those who give money to an NFL team to renovate the stadium are suckers. Like they don't already get enough money with $100 ticket prices and $9 beer.

Enjoy your framed piece of recycling though :suds:

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, is that why they just sold more a couple years ago? Face it, it's a kickstarter and those who give money to an NFL team to renovate the stadium are suckers. Like they don't already get enough money with $100 ticket prices and $9 beer.

Enjoy your framed piece of recycling though :suds:

Hmm... you would think a town that lost the Sonics and almost the Seahawks would see the value in a community owned team.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just let the 'Hawks buy off the patent(trademark) if needed. They are the ones who made this term famous. Seattle and the 12 man are forever linked.

Seattle isn't the only NFL team that has used that term or continues to use it. It was well used in the NFL before TAMU went crazy and trademarked it.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle isn't the only NFL team that has used that term or continues to use it. It was well used in the NFL before TAMU went crazy and trademarked it.

I never saw it used in the NFL other than the Seahawks but I guess it was possible. One thing is for sure is that the only NFL making money off it is the 'Hawks. Time to pay up.