• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Is Anyone Supposed To Defend Creighton

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDermott takes nearly 3 times the amount of shots more than Wragge and scores almost 3 times the amount of points. Those two are the go-to guys on that team. Deny them the ball; especially McDermott and they have a tough time scoring. They were highly overrated early, but some late losses put them about where they belong; a good basketball team that might, make the E-8 if they play better than they know how.

I hate agreeing with you. But you are spot on

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is why they are as good as they are. There are only a handful of defenses out there with athletes good enough to swtich off nearly every ball screen, still defend the post, and keep up with their shooters.

I think this is a bit overstated. This is from a UK perspective, so bear with me. UK has the athletes to guard any school in the country, what they lack is the focus to do it consistently. The key to stopping this kind of offense is more about discipline than athletic ability, though athletes certainly help. I cannot tell you how many times UK has played great defense and than made a bad switch or no switch late in the clock to give up a wide open shot.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a bit overstated. This is from a UK perspective, so bear with me. UK has the athletes to guard any school in the country, what they lack is the focus to do it consistently. The key to stopping this kind of offense is more about discipline than athletic ability, though athletes certainly help. I cannot tell you how many times UK has played great defense and than made a bad switch or no switch late in the clock to give up a wide open shot.

this is a great point. I think WSU or even St. Louis with their experienced D would be teams that have a chance to lock down a great offense in the mold of Creighton.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're on?

You can start by not letting the same guy catch the ball and hit seven or eight 3 pointers on you in a row in the span of the first 8 minutes of the game. If that was happening, don't you think it would be a good idea to not let him catch and shoot? Especially since he's a one dimensional player who can't do anything else? I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can start by not letting the same guy catch the ball and hit seven or eight 3 pointers on you in a row in the span of the first 8 minutes of the game. If that was happening, don't you think it would be a good idea to not let him catch and shoot? Especially since he's a one dimensional player who can't do anything else? I do.

Agreed. They play Wragge as a 5 but he has no inside game. Too many people try to put a big on him that can't defend the 3 point line. You don't need someone as big as him, you need someone who can defend the 3 because he can't do anything else.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the exact point I made the night this game happened. I was watching it and thinking "ok, THIS time they will cover him....no? Ok, THIS time they will cover him....no? Ok, THIS time they will extend their d so he can't shoot another 3....no? Fuck, I thought Jay Wright recruited smart basketball players"

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the exact point I made the night this game happened. I was watching it and thinking "ok, THIS time they will cover him....no? Ok, THIS time they will cover him....no? Ok, THIS time they will extend their d so he can't shoot another 3....no? Fuck, I thought Jay Wright recruited smart basketball players"

Truth is that game was a bit of an anomaly. Creighton can shoot from 3. There is no doubt about that, but they were just on fire that game. 50% from 3 and there were a lot of bad shots that went in. If a team is going to knock down 3s from 5 ft behind the arc, you are screwed. Providence game was the opposite.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth is that game was a bit of an anomaly. Creighton can shoot from 3. There is no doubt about that, but they were just on fire that game. 50% from 3 and there were a lot of bad shots that went in. If a team is going to knock down 3s from 5 ft behind the arc, you are screwed. Providence game was the opposite.

Villanova has better athletes and refused to extend their defense. If they are making threes from 5 feet beyond, guard them 15 feet beyond. I know they were unusually hot that night, it was ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that Villanova couldn't have adjusted.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how they shot against us early in the season when we played...I think we started the game down something like 20-2. We've got a pretty young team and that was our first true road game, so it took a while to adjust. I think if we met them again the results would be quite different.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villanova has better athletes and refused to extend their defense. If they are making threes from 5 feet beyond, guard them 15 feet beyond. I know they were unusually hot that night, it was ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that Villanova couldn't have adjusted.

I wont argue with that, but occasionally you just run into a hot shooting team. I know people hate to hear that, but it happens. That is what makes the tourney great. Teams like ISU or Creighton can shoot themselves into a Final Four or out of a game in the first round. The 3 pt shot is the greatest talent equalizer in College Basketball, but it rarely works its magic for 5-6 games.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, but in this case it was the same guy. Like eight 3s in a row.

We whittled the lead down and I actually thought we would win the game.

The thing about Creighton is if they get hot like that and get a 20 point lead, McDermott can help them keep that lead by scoring buckets while a lesser school would just fold under a 25-0 counterrun. That's what makes them scary.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how they shot against us early in the season when we played...I think we started the game down something like 20-2. We've got a pretty young team and that was our first true road game, so it took a while to adjust. I think WHEN we met them again the results would be quite different.

FIFY

GO HUSKERS!

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You let Dougie score and focus on the other 4 on the floor. BUT, if by "on" you mean they are moving the ball well AND shooting lights out you merely hope for an earthquake or asteroid strike.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White out the 3 point line

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got Creighton in the finals losing to floride. Go blue jays.