• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How bad is it going to be with the new rules for RBs lowering heads?

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will this be an offsetting penalty or simply on the RB?

StevanRidley_original.gif

Or is it another deliberate ambiguous rule under the guise of "safety" in order to create MORE FINES in order to extrapolate more dollars from naive millionaires, AND to add another measure in order to put out the perception that the NFL is proactive in making the game safer in order to head off the countless law suits on the part of broke former players looking for an easy pay day?

braves66boy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks like it would be a penalty on the RB because he initiated the contact by lowing his head. The refs are going to have to decide who initiates the contact when the head is lowered when contact is made.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't know how that was fumble...Looks like he landed on his ass then his knee knocked the ball out...

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He plainly loses control of the football before landing on the turf. The hit basically turns his arm into a noodle.

As for the rule, it's definitely PR for the NFL. They're trying to look proactive while the lawsuit is still active. Has nothing to do with fines. Players shouldn't be lowering their head anyway. It's poor technique both offensively and defensively.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it will be the hardest for rbs and dbs. rest assured there has been alot of attention toward that at all camps. i would think it would be easier for D players to adjust to not leading with head when making tackle than it will be for a rb who is so used to lowering his head to minimize the blow to his chin from helmet leading d guys to the chin he`s been so accustomed to all his life. i see problems with rbs more than anyone else. one thing to remember is the refs are only throw flag if the "act of lowering the head" is a blatant aggressive move and not one of self preservation. thats waht I`ve gathered anyway so far.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is this allowed or would this be a penalty now?

john-elway-helicopter-super-bowl-xxxii.gif

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see this being included in the rule. The act they're referring to is the RB dropping their head while still running when a defender approaches. Elway is doing something completely different here, in that he's in the act of leaping over a defender.

What I'm interested to see is how this is enforced. Will a RB still be able to lower his shoulder (not the helmet) at the point of contact?

Orange-and-Blue

Go Broncos!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm interested to see is how this is enforced. Will a RB still be able to lower his shoulder (not the helmet) at the point of contact?

I believe so. The refs are supposedly looking at the point on contact and the position of the neck. A player can lower his shoulder without leading with the crown of his helmet. I'm assuming that RBs have to adjust to lowering 1 shoulder rather than the entire pad level.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now isn't the rule geared towards in the open field and not when they are running through the line of scrimmage or did I read that wrong and it is at any point?

Not a huge fan of this rule as I think it opens up running backs to other injuries so a person is substituting one injury for another in my opinion. My thought is if the NFL really wants to show how aggressive they are getting towards concussion issues start working towards even better equipment especially better helmets.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey bronco fans I hate to take away from your thread but can any of you guys give me a little insight on who will be the starting RB this season or atleast get the most carries? I was thinking of drafting Monte Ball a little high in fantasy football

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey bronco fans I hate to take away from your thread but can any of you guys give me a little insight on who will be the starting RB this season or atleast get the most carries? I was thinking of drafting Monte Ball a little high in fantasy football

I am anticipating by the end of the year Montee Ball will get the lions share of the carries. However, it will be a platoon system either way.

I would say Montee Ball would be a decent 4th rounder.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge fan of this rule as I think it opens up running backs to other injuries so a person is substituting one injury for another in my opinion. My thought is if the NFL really wants to show how aggressive they are getting towards concussion issues start working towards even better equipment especially better helmets.

You don't think using your head as a battering ram or to absorb a hit will cause injury?

From the NFL safety perspective. Let them play violently. Players know the risks now and will hide injury to continue to play. To me that voids any claim they may have down the road. Looking at you Austin Collie.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likw BB32 said not good on rb draft with Denver. Matter of fact I would`nt even draft a wr till 4th either. Only one that I would trust in the early rds of draft would be PM. Had him last yr. Ton of pts. Matter of fact if I would take him in top 10 easy.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like BB32 said no rb from Denver untill at least the 4th maybe later. Matter of fact including wrs, I wouldn`t draft anybody from Denver except PM. He will get you good pts but I think anybody else from Denver is even risky in 4th. The pigskin is going to be spread out alot. Maybe a wr will have a big gm here an there but, its too much of gamble. I would actually consider Denver D ahead of any Bronco rbs or wrs in 4th rd. IMO of course. :suds: to Bronco 2nd, 3rd 4th,etc stringers looking good vs SF Thurs nite.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This info is great, Ball was off the board before I could make a decision but i drafted Eric Decker in the lower half of the draft. now that im really thinking this through, with welker brought on logically this would bring deckers numbers down. whats going on so far in camp with the WRs?