• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How about a hour long soccer for dummies show

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I'm somewhat suprised one of the networks hasn't taken the time to put together a hour long show prior to the world cup to explain the game in layman's terms to the soccer fan who doesn't really have a good grasp at the basic rules and strategy. The interest in the world cup has been high and was really suprised one of the networks didn't take advantage of this opportunity. Don't get me wrong I am sure some of you know completely what's going on but I'm certain that there are a lot of fans out there like me that would love to see some of the former soccer greats give us some insight on the rules and game in general.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I'm somewhat suprised one of the networks hasn't taken the time to put together a hour long show prior to the world cup to explain the game in layman's terms to the soccer fan who doesn't really have a good grasp at the basic rules and strategy. The interest in the world cup has been high and was really suprised one of the networks didn't take advantage of this opportunity. Don't get me wrong I am sure some of you know completely what's going on but I'm certain that there are a lot of fans out there like me that would love to see some of the former soccer greats give us some insight on the rules and game in general.

I've almost converted my friends to somewhat of a Team USA fan. This would be very helpful. "Its just a bunch of guys kicking a ball to each other"

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Don't think it would take an hour.

Part of the reason this game is so popular world wide is the basics of the game couldn't get any more basic. And yet those with a deeper interest do have more to get involved in such as the strategies at both ends of the pitch.

What would a beginners segment look like? A quick introduction to the language, a brief look at the off sides rule, a look at fouls/yellow/red and what happens with each, and maybe a look at the controversial topic of flopping.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but what else is there for a novice to know to have the tools to enjoy it? I believe I've already seen some background on international soccer and the history of the USMNT.

If I knew people like you who have at least a minor interest in learning more so they could follow this event better I'd introduce them to Google.

Honestly there are dozens of web sites geared just for that purpose and it wouldn't take 20 minutes to go over it. This is where that sort of introduction probably belongs.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm well aware of google and other places I could learn the rules and strategy. I simply think there would be enough demand for a show. Ok maybe it's just a half hour show , fine. To be quite honest I'd much rather hear a few soccer players tell me than to go to a some website. I am fully aware there is plenty of info out there, I am simply saying I think there would be a big enough audience for a simple show on the rules and strategy as discussed by former players. I think there is a market for it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I wasn't trying to insult you. There are going to be quite a few people tuning in that are new to the sport. Interest has been growing over recent years and I'm sure there will be many more tuning in today than there ever has been in group play at a world cup.

The problem with creating a show for those novice viewers is none of them would likely tune in. That is, I'd suspect that almost none of them have watched any of the other matches or coverage outside of the first US game and likely they won't even be watching the pregame show. The only people watching the extra coverage are those already well versed in the game.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched a bunch of matches and enjoyed them but I'm just not attuned to the rules. To me it's just so much easier to see the rules explained than to read about them. I'm intrigued and awed by a lot of it, I simply don't totally understand it all but I appreciate their great conditioning and athletic prowess. The strategy seems difficult to get my arms around to, there are so many different game plans by the various nations and that makes it interesting in an of itself.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way they play soccer now is how I was playing it in the 60s and 70s and was getting admonished by my coaches(from France no less) that soccer is not a contact sport.

I would run into the other players, getting the ball first, when they had the ball and I was getting carded. So, I became the goalie.

Heck, now there is clearly a lot of mugging and elbows(I never threw elbows) between two players.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way they play soccer now is how I was playing it in the 60s and 70s and was getting admonished by my coaches(from France no less) that soccer is not a contact sport.

I would run into the other players, getting the ball first, when they had the ball and I was getting carded. So, I became the goalie.

Heck, now there is clearly a lot of mugging and elbows(I never threw elbows) between two players.

So you've seen Pepe play have you...

Yeah, it's physical these days. Much more so in international than MLS, but it's at all pro levels.