• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

House Cleaning Begins

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These seem to be good hires so far for O-Line, QB, and RB. I did some digging around on the internet and the three of them have solid resumes. What do they look for in a Special Teams Coach? Seems like they need to find a guy who has had his Head Coach fired recently and isn't locked into following him anywhere.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These seem to be good hires so far for O-Line, QB, and RB. I did some digging around on the internet and the three of them have solid resumes. What do they look for in a Special Teams Coach? Seems like they need to find a guy who has had his Head Coach fired recently and isn't locked into following him anywhere.
Maybe Jeff Rodgers who did ST earlier for Denver

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah- Growing tired of draft poorly.

I think as a fan it sucks even 10 times more when you don't like the picks in the first place (not so much last year) but the years before) esp the Ty Sammy/Heuerman draft.

Heuerman had 9 catches this year. Ty Sammy was sent to Atlanta.

You're always gonna miss, every team, every person does it. But so many and so much reaching.

Last year I liked Demarcus Walker as a player in rd 2, but not really in our system. Wasn't expecting that. I overlooked the position fit for the player, maybe he will turn out better next year. Just don't see how he really fits for us.

I feel like often Denver will take a player I like but a round or two earlier then I expect it so I can overlook it a bit, but Ty Sammy and Heuerman were just brutal to me.
Sammy's done better in Atlanta so far. Might have a lot to say about coaching he got in Denver

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Studesville was a well liked guy. The Giants are interviewing him for their coaching job. Rooney rule and likely an inside friends trying to get him some pub as he use to coach the RB's there well before he was here, but just an overall well liked guy who has been retained by several different coaching staffs here and worked as an interim coach when McDaniels was fired here..

CJ just respects him a lot. Probably a tough guy for some to see go. But I think it was time.

From what I understand Studesville and Tolbert asked if they could interview elsewhere and move on. So not sure the Broncos were absolutely wanting those guys to walk but they have always been pretty respectful when a coach has asked to move on and grant it.

I do agree though it was time for them to go. I like the guys they have hired so far. Mike Sullivan is a guy known for players highly respecting him and what he has to say to them. Curtis Modkins is the one that honestly probably excites me the most. Chicago even with some terrible players on the field the RB position has been one of the few strengths on that team. JOrdan Howard and Tarik Cohin have both shown some major promise in their short careers.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Jeff Rodgers who did ST earlier for Denver

Sounds good...

Chicago Bears: Jeff Rodgers 

Jeff Rodgers is in his third year as the special teams coordinator of the Chicago Bears after being hired by the club on January 19, 2015.

He has 13 years of NFL experience coaching special teams and 16 seasons coaching experience overall.

In Rodgers' second campaign with the Bears, KR Deonte Thompson ranked 2nd in the NFL in kickoff return yards (804) and DB Sherrick McManis led the Bears in special teams tackles for the second consecutive season with 13. P Pat O'Donnell allowed 22 punt returns in 2016, tied for the 3rd fewest in the NFL among punters who appeared in 16 games.

Before his time in Chicago, Rodgers spent four seasons as the special teams coordinator of the Denver Broncos (2011-14). During Rodgers' four seasons in Denver, the Broncos ranked 10th in the NFL in gross punting average (45.6 yards per punt) and 11th in net punting average (39.6 ypp). Denver's six total kick return touchdowns (four punt and two kickoff) were tied for second most in the NFL during Rodgers' time with the team with the Broncos 24.5 kickoff return average ranking ninth in the NFL since 2011.

Under Rodgers' tutelage, Broncos kicker Matt Prater was named to the Pro Bowl following the 2013 season after setting franchise records in field goal percentage (96.2 percent, 25-of-26) and points scored (150). Prater's 64-yard field goal on December 8, 2013 is the longest in NFL history. In 2014, Connor Barth's 93.8 field goal percentage (15-of-16) was second-highest in franchise single-season history.

In Rodgers' second season with the Broncos, Denver's special teams allowed the second-lowest punt return average (6.0 yards per return) and the seventh-lowest kickoff return average (22.1 ypr) in the NFL. During the Divisional Playoffs that season, Trindon Holliday became the first player in NFL history to record a punt return touchdown (90 yards) and kickoff return touchdown (104 yards) in a single playoff game.

In 2011, Denver was third in the NFL in punt return average (12.7 ypr), including two touchdowns. Under Rodgers' direction in 2011, Colquitt set single-season franchise records for gross (47.4) and net punting (40.2) averages. Denver was sixth in the NFL in gross punt average and eighth in net punting average as punter Britton Colquitt set a franchise record with a 47.4 gross average. Colquitt's 42.1 net punting average in 2012 and 40.2 average in 2011 are first and second in franchise single-season annals.

Prior to his time in Denver, Rodgers spent two seasons in Carolina under Bears head coach John Fox, first as the Panthers special teams assistant (2009) before being named special teams coordinator (2010). He came to Carolina after spending the 2008 season at Kansas State as the Wildcats special teams coordinator.

Rodgers got his NFL coaching experience in San Francisco working as the special teams quality control coach from 2003-04 before being named assistant special teams coach in 2005, a title he held for three seasons. During his five seasons working with San Francisco's special teams, long snapper Brian Jennings (2004) and punter Andy Lee (2007) were Pro Bowl selections. Lee set an NFL single-season record with 42 punts landed inside-the-20 in 2007 leading to a 41.0 net punting average, second best in the league that season.

He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Arizona, where he worked with the secondary (2001) and linebackers (2002).

Rodgers played linebacker at North Texas, where he earned a degree in business, specializing in entrepreneurship and strategic management. Rodgers was born in St. Paul, Minn., and attended Westlake High School in Austin, Texas.

He is the younger brother of Bears defensive line coach Jay Rodgers.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy's done better in Atlanta so far. Might have a lot to say about coaching he got in Denver

Sad to think but everyone that goes to Atlanta looks better who stole our mold . Tammy for one .

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I do have this observation - the firing of the 6 assistants - the announcement of the Broncos coaching a Senior Bowl team - and then the announcement of the new hires happened so fast and close together that is must have been the plan settled upon weeks ago. I really like the Senior Bowl coaching gig - that has to give you a leg up in talent evaluation. I hope the new players feel like VJ hired them - and not JE.

Funny thing - the Broncos hired Eli Manning's former QB coach and in Boulder the Buffs hired Eli Manning's college QB coach for 2018. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I also don't believe in coincidences.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway needs to back away from the QB analysis and let Kubiak decide who they like and who they should draft.

Remember if was Kubiak's staff who drafted Siemian and signed Case Keenum. It was Kubiak who tried to pry Case away from LA last year meaning no Lynch . For some reason, Gary did not play Lynch in the season finale last year up 24-0 at half . That screams volumes to me that Kubiak was not a supporter of the first round pick. Maybe at the time of the draft or maybe later on when he saw the immaturity of the kid.

This Senior Bowl assignment is huge and can shape the foundation of the franchise for years to come even if pick #5 is not a QB. Maybe the next Jimmy G is there.

Also I believe they can trade up 2 or 3 spots in any round for the guy they want but don't panic and trade up 6-7 spots. They need to remember back to 1991 when the NYJ who were picking one slot behind ATL wanted a gunslinger named Brett Farve and instead of trading up two slots stayed put and watched ATL pick Farve and the Jets settled for Browning Nagel. Luckily NYJ GM Wolf moved on and traded a 1st round pick to ATL the next year for Farver.

Anyways, Kubiak to the rescue again.

Exciting times . Enjoy the journey that is about to begin.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Trev was drafted by Kubiak is not a great basis for adding personnel duties to his job description.
Frankly, im all but unimpressed at every move thus far.
Their only redemption for me is that Olivo is gone; albeit 8 weeks too late.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Trev was drafted by Kubiak is not a great basis for adding personnel duties to his job description.

Kubiak has been damn solid at QB's People are talking about Kasey for one how great he is playing .

Trevor for were he was drafted is pretty damn good . You would be talking shit about a low round Draft pick god !

People as of late need to lighten the fuck up . Low round picks are Development players . chit last I checked anyways . Most QB's take 4 years to get were they are decent .

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kubiak has been damn solid at QB's People are talking about Kasey for one how great he is playing .

Trevor for were he was drafted is pretty damn good . You would be talking shit about a low round Draft pick god !

People as of late need to lighten the fuck up . Low round picks are Development players . chit last I checked anyways . Most QB's take 4 years to get were they are decent .
Lol, whatever you say crash. Ive long since given up on arguing with you. I get beat by your experience way too often.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moves I've liked so far...

Firing Olivo. It had to happen. He just wasn't ready for the job.
Hiring of Curtis Modkins for the RB's group. Especially if we let go of CJ Anderson I think he is perfect for working with young backs.
Hiring of Sullivan for the QB's group. I like his resume and think he will be a good voice in the QB's room.
Keeping Musgraves. He did a great job in short notice designing an offense to simplify for our QB's. They all showed more promise in the last few games than the first about 11 games of the season.

Not as excited about...
Kugler. I liked Davidson and while the OL wasn't great they at least showed improvement over the year before. I was hoping to see what he could do with another season.
Keeping Chryst. Worst positional group on the team woudl be a toss up between TE's and QB's. Just didn't think he should keep his job.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Paxton Lynch was an Elway pick then what Crash is saying makes sense. We had PFM and grabbed Brockwiper to develop into the eventual starter. I don't know if Brockwiper was an Elway or Kubiak pick so we'll call that neutral. After that we drafted Dysart and then Siemian to develop into the eventual back up. We'll call Siemian a Kubiak pick because Kubiak seemed to favor Siemian. So, if Paxton Lynch was an Elway draft pick, then Kubiak has done better at drafting QB's than Elway for us. Elway is responsible for a first round flop, and Kubiak is responsible for a 7th rounder that stole the starting job and managed to look good for a hand full of games. I'm not buying that story 100% but I see what Crash is saying.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Paxton Lynch was an Elway pick then what Crash is saying makes sense. We had PFM and grabbed Brockwiper to develop into the eventual starter. I don't know if Brockwiper was an Elway or Kubiak pick so we'll call that neutral. After that we drafted Dysart and then Siemian to develop into the eventual back up. We'll call Siemian a Kubiak pick because Kubiak seemed to favor Siemian. So, if Paxton Lynch was an Elway draft pick, then Kubiak has done better at drafting QB's than Elway for us. Elway is responsible for a first round flop, and Kubiak is responsible for a 7th rounder that stole the starting job and managed to look good for a hand full of games. I'm not buying that story 100% but I see what Crash is saying.

Osweiler would have to be an Elway pick as Kubiak wasn't with the team in 2012 when they took him. Maybe he was a Fox guy but it does seem like most of the connections for Osweiler are with Elway. And I would say Paxton is a good showing of making sure that both the GM and Coach are on board with a player. If Kubiak was not happy about that pick then Paxton never stood a chance from the beginning.

From what I understand Kubiak told Elway not to pick Paxton because he already had his QB in Siemian. He just fell in love with Siemian and what his game brought to the table. Kubiak even told people at the Combine that they already had their QB of the future on the roster before they ever drafted Paxton. So again Paxton just was not the guy for Kubiak and Elway picking him knowing Kubiak didn't want him is a big mistake. So Elway and Joseph better get on the same page because who they pick is huge for both guys.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osweiler would have to be an Elway pick as Kubiak wasn't with the team in 2012 when they took him. Maybe he was a Fox guy but it does seem like most of the connections for Osweiler are with Elway. And I would say Paxton is a good showing of making sure that both the GM and Coach are on board with a player. If Kubiak was not happy about that pick then Paxton never stood a chance from the beginning.

From what I understand Kubiak told Elway not to pick Paxton because he already had his QB in Siemian. He just fell in love with Siemian and what his game brought to the table. Kubiak even told people at the Combine that they already had their QB of the future on the roster before they ever drafted Paxton. So again Paxton just was not the guy for Kubiak and Elway picking him knowing Kubiak didn't want him is a big mistake. So Elway and Joseph better get on the same page because who they pick is huge for both guys.

Herp derp, yep, I lost track of which HC's were here during what drafts. I agree that the FO and coaching staff need to be all in on whatever QB they decide to roll with next.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herp derp, yep, I lost track of which HC's were here during what drafts. I agree that the FO and coaching staff need to be all in on whatever QB they decide to roll with next.

I honestly think it is the quickest way to destroy a franchise is to have GM and Coach at odds. It is why I think the firing of Fox and the hiring of Kubiak was so huge at least for that first year. Both got on the same page with a lot of things and formed a united front.

I'm hoping this year that is the same thing that can happen for Elway and Joseph. First year seemed like they were at odds with each other.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think it is the quickest way to destroy a franchise is to have GM and Coach at odds. It is why I think the firing of Fox and the hiring of Kubiak was so huge at least for that first year. Both got on the same page with a lot of things and formed a united front.

I'm hoping this year that is the same thing that can happen for Elway and Joseph. First year seemed like they were at odds with each other.

It's hard for me to tell what Joseph is looking for in a QB. I hear a lot of coach speak coming out of his mouth. And he fakes his facial expressions...a lot. Watching him is like watching Charles Manson give an interview. I can imagine, though, that Elway looks around at a lot of QB's in the league and doesn't understand why they can't do the same things that he used to do. Maybe Kubiak can mediate that meeting of minds.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw somewhere that the Broncos finished poorly enough they may have to do that ESPN Training Camp show.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You add in what he did in Houston And Love Gary for what he is about do for our Broncos ! His Eye is damn good !

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osweiler was definitely an Elway pick. Brock and Jr. we're friends at ASU.