• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VVITCH : 7 of 10

I liked it but, it could have been a lot better.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rings and Split will be boring movies, in fact, today's horror movies are boring. Theyll get you lost
They are more exciting than your shitty posts...

So...
200.gif

and....
200w.gif

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty close, it could definitely be compared to a lot of 1st person films of that nature. Biggest difference is The Tunnel doesn't rely on the supernatural (moving objects, ghost appearances, etc) to get its suspense, rather real terrifying creature(s).

I watched the tunnel a year ago, but to be honest, it blended in with so many of the other movies mentioned, I can't even recall it.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, what the hell...stuck in bed with a shitty virus; what better time to watch

th

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was one movie I watched lately that I liked. It wasn't scary, but it was so dumb in a funny way to me.

Student Bodies (1981)

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMING SOON

Don't Knock Twice (2017)

Release date: International release is on January 12th. But I heard it had limited releases elsewhere (UK?).

Synopsis: A mother desperate to reconnect with her troubled daughter becomes embroiled in the urban legend of a demonic witch.

UK horror film comin atcha! Surprised I hadn't heard about this one? Probably overlooked it at some point. But this looks pretty legit. Obviously a ripoff of movies like The Ring, amongst others, but it will be interesting to see how the Brits do it. Always been a fan of UK horror. Read that this was filmed entirely in Wales. Director is Caradog James. Loved his film The Machine (sci-fi thriller). Fingers crossed!

Caught this earlier. I'm pretty sure it's available VOD now. There's a lot of nice elements here. It just never feels like they fit right, though. Or perhaps some of the areas weren't developed enough.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eloise (2017)

This movie was a mess. Aside from decent fundamental production values (lighting, cinematography, score, etc) the rest of this film was a joke. That had to be one of the worst plot lines I've ever seen. It brings nothing new or original or even interesting to the haunted asylum genre. It was a disjointed and disconnected mess that failed to capture any sort of suspense even though it tried very hard to do so. Made me cringe how forced everything felt. The constant blinding strobe flashes between patient flashbacks came off as a desperate attempt to create an atmosphere and became very distracting as it was starting to piss me off. The only scare factor it had was through its use of gore. But even that couldn't save this movie. Nothing made sense from the variations of ghosts (real or imaginary?) to strange run-ins and a very bizarre time-travel sequence. The acting downfalls had more to do with poor writing than anything else. The actors felt very underutilized. Can't blame them for being handed a greasy turd of a script. About the only thing I found somewhat intriguing about this movie was that it is based on a real institution. I didn't know anything about it until after I watched this movie and I learned in the real world that it has quite the haunted reputation. Sadly this movie failed to capture or deliver on that reputation.

A forgettable mess... 4/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Girl With All the Gifts (2016)

Been out the Z-horror game for a while mainly due to how exhausted the genre was getting, but somehow I managed to stumble upon a few gems recently. I call them gems mainly because they don't necessarily follow the same old tired traditional scripts, instead they add some new originality. This film, however, I have to admit is better than my recently reviewed Open Graves. This is probably one of the better made Z-flicks that I have ever seen. And yes I have to point out that its a UK film, because they deserve credit for making brilliant movies. @jakedog56 I hope you're reading this, because as a fellow Z-film enthusiast I'd love to get your opinion on it. As for the technical aspects... The apocalyptic landscape on display is one of the most convincing apocalyptic landscapes that I've seen since I Am Legend or 28 days later (even TWD). That setting gives us excellent cinematography with some awe-inspiring imagery created with interesting uses of composition, lighting, angles, etc. The score goes a long way towards setting each and every scene as well. To put it simply, this is quite the beautifully made movie. The use of CGI is subtle and sparingly used, and the makeup fx is superb. Plenty of gore as one would expect. The zombs are unique in that they stand perfectly still when not lured (sort of like the IAL zombs during daytime), which I thought was a very creepy and unique twist. In the acting department we got some great performances from Arterton, Nanua, Close & Considine. This is a solid movie in it's own right, but it stands amongst the very best zombie movies IMO. It certainly gives 28-DL a run for its money, both in it's use of it's low-budget and it's re-invention of the zombie trope. It's a fresh take on an otherwise stale genre, and I certainly recommend it!

A gift for zombie fans... 8.5/10

Hey man! I haven't been on the hoop at all lately as I instead have been taking a class and also addicted to a game on my Samsung pad instead, but...............

Yes, I just saw this on an airplane trip a couple of weeks ago (also saw Don't Breath on the same flight so a couple of good horror flicks). I hadn't heard of it before so I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the movie. The acting, storyline, fx, dialog, etc. was all decent or to very good.

It kinda stumbled a bit towards the end as a couple of things made no sense or were a bit ridiculous (like sending out the black guy to find food, or the general behavior of the kids), but it was excellent before for the most part and had a fine conclusion.

That is the thing about the zombie genre. It so often stumbles around wallowing in suckiness, but when they hit, they tend to be quite good. I would recommend this movie to any sci-fi or horror fan, not just z genre fans.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I watched a bit over half of the South Korean zombie movie The Train to Busen the other day with my friend before I had to leave to the airport for the return flight. It was pretty good also if you can handle dubs or subtitles.

I can't post a trailer from my work as youtube is blocked here. The story and execution were decent but the zombies were pretty damn good! I need to watch the rest of it at some point.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I watched a bit over half of the South Korean zombie movie The Train to Busen the other day with my friend before I had to leave to the airport for the return flight. It was pretty good also if you can handle dubs or subtitles.

I can't post a trailer from my work as youtube is blocked here. The story and execution were decent but the zombies were pretty damn good! I need to watch the rest of it at some point.

Saw this trailer a while ago but shied away from it due to the subtitles... Just have a hard time staying focused on the plot with those movies.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Intruders (2015)

This movie was just like The Pact, but it had no supernatural elements to it rather a play on the human psyche. The pacing of this movie was too slow and it had very little suspense, which led to a flat climax. Not sure if it was indeed as flat as my memory is recalling or if it was simply because the climax was a blatant ripoff of the movie already mentioned (not to mention some serious character stupidity in that moment). If you have seen that movie then I've already spoiled the climax for you, but I'm not going to recommend it anyways so don't shoot the messenger. Cinematography was decent but nothing exceptional. The acting was good. Really felt like the bigger names in this movie (Logue & Sizemore) were underutilized but their characters weren't essential to the main plot. The younger actors (Cosgrove & Butler) did a good job though. Looked up the director, Adam Massey, and saw another horror movie he made that got better reviews titled Man Vs. that came out in the same year as this one. I'm planning on watching it soon and hoping for better results.

Boring, slow & unoriginal... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This looks freaking awesome. Shoutout to @BusSport for pointing it out in the Entertainment section.
This has a serious Shutter Island & AHS: Asylum vibe to it... Love it

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saw this trailer a while ago but shied away from it due to the subtitles... Just have a hard time staying focused on the plot with those movies.
Forgot to give a shoutout to @R.J. MacReady for recommending this movie previously... So if @jakedog56 is interested in his review:
Train to Busan 2016 Korean Zombie movie (with sub titles)

Yea, another Korean horror movie from me (You got a problem with that?)

I would give it a 7, no problem.

For a Zombie movie this is different. They really make you love the cast and the zombies are a bit different. But they could have used some more CGI.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw Ouija- the 2016 movie last night... Was pretty good... Not great... But I am also not a HOrror movie fan... so there...

Will watch the girl with all the gifts some time soon, as you gave it good reviews and it did well on rotten tomatoes...

Really, I will only see horror movies with a 75 or better on rotten tomatoes... all else is not worth it for me... since I am not a horror movie fan...

Just watched Ouija 2 also. Pretty good! The little girl scared the shit out of the wife! LOL!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Vs. (2016)

Followed through with my Massey (director) trail, and I am glad that I did. This movie had some decent potential! Fundamentally speaking I know there's not much to found-footage horror films except for basic shock-value, so not many people will be interested in this film. But this movie had me enthralled! First off there are a lot of problems with this movie, like plot holes, forced situations, somewhat awkward lead character, etc, but those are all easily dismissible due to the great shock-value & creativity. The one thing I couldn't get past though was the creature. Said creature is a huge part of the climax so I'll use the spoiler tag so I don't upset any interested parties...
The creature, predictably so, turned out to be an alien. A pure cgi character, which was noticeably low budget but not awful. The awful part was they decided to have it wear a ridiculous blue space-vest that ended up making the alien look like a cartoon character instead of something potentially more frightening.
The only positive was it's appearance was limited to the climax, so the majority of the movie was cloak & dagger. As in most found-footage films you get the typical cat & mouse type thrill ride, but this movie has some very clever creativity infused to give it an edge over its competition within the genre. The combination of good suspense & creativity made for an entertaining movie! Even though the spoiler above was cringe-worthy I still enjoyed it, but I doubt many others will. It also helped that I was a huge fan of Man Vs. Wild years ago, so that might have lent a hand in my entertainment.

Shock-value entertainment... 6.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait Till Helen Comes (2016)

Lifetime produced film based on a novel written by Mary Downing Hahn. Another book on my to-read list. Quite a bit of fanfare surrounding the book so I was eager to give this ghost-story film a go to see what I was missing. Sadly this film came off somewhat dull to me. Could be that I wasn't giving it the attention it deserves or missing the context of the dialogue, but for whatever reason the entire experience felt flat. The acting could mostly be to blame. Most of the actors, whether it was character-driven or not, came off monotoned & benighted which really made it difficult to captivate the audience. I am having a hard time reviewing the rest of the movie because of that dullness. The suspense, progression & climax all suffered from it so I don't know what else to say. The director & producers do deserve some good credit for quality cinematography. The set design & production values (lighting, b-roll, score, etc) were excellent. CGI/fx was decent. But other than that, all I can say is that overall the film is just "okay".

A forgettable addition to the ghost-story genre... 5/10