• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched some decent movies last night.

From The Dark (2015)
The Canal (2014) *Netflix
The Altar (2014) *Netflix

And I watched 2 per @jakedog56 's recommendations!

The Loved Ones (2012)
Hungerford (2014)

I'll get reviews posted sometime this next week!

I haven't seen Hungerford, so that one had to be from someone else but I really liked The Loved Ones.

I just watched Sinister as per the recommendation here. It was well done but a bit rushed. The wife was annoying and Ethan Hawke's character was pretty stupid. But it was a overall solid flick with an interesting premise. The score was excellent!

Going to try the V.H.S. series next.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen Hungerford, so that one had to be from someone else but I really liked The Loved Ones.

I just watched Sinister as per the recommendation here. It was well done but a bit rushed. The wife was annoying and Ethan Hawke's character was pretty stupid. But it was a overall solid flick with an interesting premise. The score was excellent!

Going to try the V.H.S. series next.
:L I can never keep my rec's straight! Too many good ones that I'm adding to my list. I gotta keep better track of who recommends what so I can thank them properly!

I really liked the idea of developing the new villain in Sinister. The bagul or however you want to spell it. Probably not as original as I think it is because it seemed to have a lot of history when I googled it, but putting it in film as a good call. Solid creepy factor, and they didn't need to try that hard. The story behind it basically made the movie.

You'll love a few films from each VHS movie, but not the entire thing. It's kind of like a roller coaster, some great/good, then some really boring/bad ones. Honestly I would skip the 3rd if I were you, unless you were really starved for new material.

The Insidious movies are awesome. I like the 2nd more than the 1st. The 1st obviously 'broke-ground' so you can't appreciate the 2nd without the original. Pretty stoked to see the 3rd!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Charlie

MV5BMTY2MjY4MDU0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODAzMTc1MDE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

As short films go, Charlie is relentlessly tense and leaves you feeling unnervingly anxious throughout. Many filming techniques, which are often overlooked in the modern age of filmmaking, are brought to life here.

The imagination is a tool, that when used correctly, is easily a hundred times more powerful than any gimmick or trick any writer/director could muster up. Here, we're allowed to use that tool and create a kind of fear that cant be created with any amount of blood/gore.

A simple concept turned into quite a brilliant piece of work, again another thing overlooked in modern film, simple concepts developed into fresh ideas. Modern settings, exceptional acting, original ideas and great directing come together to make an artwork that I don't think will be matched in a very long time.

9.5/10
Great review/recommendation & thanks for posting! I'll be sure to give this one a go! :suds:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Haunting of Helena last night.

Eh. Very average.

Good production values, decent special effects but the movie was pretty boring due to pacing and never really scary.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Charlie

MV5BMTY2MjY4MDU0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODAzMTc1MDE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

As short films go, Charlie is relentlessly tense and leaves you feeling unnervingly anxious throughout. Many filming techniques, which are often overlooked in the modern age of filmmaking, are brought to life here.

The imagination is a tool, that when used correctly, is easily a hundred times more powerful than any gimmick or trick any writer/director could muster up. Here, we're allowed to use that tool and create a kind of fear that cant be created with any amount of blood/gore.

A simple concept turned into quite a brilliant piece of work, again another thing overlooked in modern film, simple concepts developed into fresh ideas. Modern settings, exceptional acting, original ideas and great directing come together to make an artwork that I don't think will be matched in a very long time.

9.5/10

I'm going to check this out based on this impressive review.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From The Dark (2014)

This is a pretty decent movie if you keep in mind its low budget. The fact that it only had 4 actors and the entire film was shot on one location will put it into perspective for you. The plot was typical & predictable, the acting was pretty solid, the creature was believable... The director & producer do a great job building tension with the soundtrack and some clever camera work. All of that equates to an entertaining film. I think it did better than most movies you see with this low of a budget. Sure the realism was a bit far-fetched, but if you let go of that and just enjoy the simplicity of it, you will like it.

Give it a shot! 6.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Canal (2014)

On Netflix! Its hard not to score this film high! This, dare I say, 'masterpiece' from Ivan Kavanagh is a very clever tale of a missing person with a twist of supernatural, plenty of edge-of-your-seat suspense scenes and a story that grips you till the end. The acting is great, albeit there is some character stupidity like most horror films have. The cinematography is amazing! The only big knock I would give is that it has a slow start, but once you get through that it has a "race to the finish line" sort of progression, which really works for this movie. There are a few really good scares in this movie... Give you the chills! Definitely recommend it to any horror enthusiast!

Enjoy! 8/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Altar (2014)

Netflix! A ghost story in every sense of the classic tradition. This film borrows heavily from other ghost and spirit films. It was sort of like watching a reenactment highlight film of a bunch of great supernatural thrillers, but they tie them all together to make a movie. The setting was great, and the acting was decent. Good quality from a production standpoint. The cgi/fx were above average. My final verdict is... meh. The only thing I said to myself after the credits rolled was, "that could have been done a lot better."

So-so... 5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Loved Ones (2009)

(@jakedog56's recommendation)

What a ride! This film is fun to watch! Excellent performances, good soundtrack and smooth production. I was very impressed with the director's plot/character establishment and his progression. The direction was a bit bizarre, but not knowing where this film is going to lead you was half the fun. It took risks, but still pulled it off. Some of the "tie-in" plot won't make much sense to you in the end and could have been cut out, but you'll glaze over it! There is a lot of blood, but very little gore. Much of the violence takes place out of shot or is shot quick enough where you aren't overly disgusted. Jakedog was right about this family being fucked in the head two-ways from Tuesday. And that's putting it VERY lightly. Still, this film is horrific and compensates by being pretty damn funny. Great filming, setting, characters, score, etc...

You owe it to yourself... 8/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hungerford (2014)

Can't honestly remember who recommended this one? WinTwins maybe? Sorry but I will start taking better notes down on my horror list so I can thank people properly!

Another found footage film to add to the exhausted subgenre. Initially it didn't appeal to me very well, but it didn't have me scrambling for the off button when I got into it. For a film that has low budget, an amateur cast and whose cinematography is confined to one single camera being waved about... This movie has much more entertainment value than it should, which says a lot about it. Much of the impact is from the story starting quickly with a cool cgi/fx storm of sorts, which considering the non-existent budget is very well done. The movie then quickly turns into a zombie-esque thrill ride. The plot has some obvious flaws, but its still entertaining. Considering this is the director's first film, I'd say he has some good talent & foundation to build on.

Nothing spectacular, but worthwhile. 6/10

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing Left to Fear (2013)

The acting was decent and the budget was right. It has creative nightmares which foreshadow the story, without giving it away too much. Keeps you guessing. A couple of cheesy CGI moments, but overall the special effects were well done. The plot failed to explain why the town was accursed to begin of which annoyed me. You are basically left to come up with it on your own. For a similar movie that was made a little better, I recommend The Shrine.

Still recommend it! 7/10

I just watched The Shrine. Watched it on a lark, but I really liked it. Surprised at how fast it went. :thumb:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched The Shrine. Watched it on a lark, but I really liked it. Surprised at how fast it went. :thumb:
The Shrine is a good movie. On Netflix from what I remember? You should write a full review! :suds:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious, does this "Charlie" have anything to do with "The Gallows"? I just saw a commercial for it and they are chanting that name and talking about how "Charlie has his noose".

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched Insidious and thought that it was good and interesting. Cool that the makers of Saw made a movie that was pretty scary without any gore. It was a throw back to the old 50s style horror.

The ending seemed to throw a lot of people. I see multiple theories on how it was played out and it seems that there is no consensus. Well I am pretty confident I know which makes the most sense. Maybe part 2 clarifies a little better?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched Insidious and thought that it was good and interesting. Cool that the makers of Saw made a movie that was pretty scary without any gore. It was a throw back to the old 50s style horror.

The ending seemed to throw a lot of people. I see multiple theories on how it was played out and it seems that there is no consensus. Well I am pretty confident I know which makes the most sense. Maybe part 2 clarifies a little better?
Part 2 dives deeper into the rabbit hole. And it should help clarify things for you. If you still have a question afterwards then we can discuss it then! :suds: