• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people have mentioned it as a Horror Groundhog's Day, which in a way it is. Also from that perspective and if you're looking for a fun cool 80/90s horror flick, I think The Final Girls did it better.

The Final Girls, eh?

This sounds like a job for The Boobmeter!!! :D:D:D

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Final Girls, eh?

This sounds like a job for The Boobmeter!!! :D:D:D
Unfortunately, I think that'll have low marks. The movie made soft references to that aspect of the genre, but didn't go full out on it. Well worth a watch and I would put that above Happy Death Day in the queue, if you haven't watched it yet. Definitely a fun movie.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Open House, a Netflix original horror movie. It was not good, nothing really redeemable about it. The plot was super broad, the actions, motives and emotions of the characters were inconsistent and confusing. The scariest setting in the movie was completely underutilized. I like the idea and the concept had potential, they jusdt dropped the ball every step of the way.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Open House, a Netflix original horror movie. It was not good, nothing really redeemable about it. The plot was super broad, the actions, motives and emotions of the characters were inconsistent and confusing. The scariest setting in the movie was completely underutilized. I like the idea and the concept had potential, they jusdt dropped the ball every step of the way.

Just googled it. Budget was 100k.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched Chernobyl Diaries.
I like Horror movies with those kind of endings. Somehow makes them better than the standard "good guys win in the end"
What was the other one like that. The Strangers or something like that. (with Liv Tyler) that had a good ending as well.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Horror movies with those kind of endings. Somehow makes them better than the standard "good guys win in the end"

What was the other one like that. The Strangers or something like that. (with Liv Tyler) that had a good ending as well.

Yep, I agree; thought Chernobyl Diaries was a pretty decent horror flick.

Reactions: DJ

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep Watching (or Home Invasion) - The fact this movie couldn't get released for a few years says it all, stop watching.

High Tension - It was probably decent, I was only half paying attention. Had some moments. It went in a direction that made some of the end live up to the high tension name, but was a stupid direction to take it from the standpoint it came out of nowhere for no reason to set up the finish.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for The Strangers; damnit, I had a chance to watch it the other day and passed. Worth watching, eh? And, yeah, that's the one with Liv Tyler.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for The Strangers; damnit, I had a chance to watch it the other day and passed. Worth watching, eh? And, yeah, that's the one with Liv Tyler.
how have you not seen the strangers yet? it's based on a true story...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how have you not seen the strangers yet? it's based on a true story...

And there ya go; not big on 'true story' horror or fantasy movies; just not to my taste.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep Watching (2017)

Originally titled "Home Invasion", this was Sean Carter's first Hollywood directed piece (and quite possibly his last). This movie takes your run of the mill home invasion and introduces a Kristy or Saw type mix to it. I'm sure there's a better comparison than those movies, but those were the first that came to mind so take it for whatever its worth. In a sense it tried to offer something new or unique, but sadly it missed its mark. The end result is nothing more than a home invasion movie chalked full of poor decision-making. If you run up to an odd delivery truck looking for help and the driver tells you to "hop in the back", please tell me you wouldn't be that foolish? If they offered a different movie setting it may have helped but not by much. The acting was downright awful. Whoever did the casting for this film should be shot. Not only did each individual actor fail to establish any identity, they couldn't have been more polar opposite from each other making this "family" seem like a consensus group. Bella Thorne was particularly awful. All she had to do was capture that "damsel in distress" role which is pretty easy to do given the history of that role in this genre, but she looked more like a scared fawn during hunting season. It was laughable to see that skinny set of bones manage to kill off 2 of the attackers. At first I was interested to see if Chandler Rigg could offer anything outside of TWD, but the role didn't really allow for it. However even in a limited role he still managed to annoy me, much like in TWD. Overall this movie was a forgettable one, but still cheap entertainment. About the only thing I liked about it were the antagonists. The masks were pretty cool.

4/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rufus (2012)

This was more of a sci-fi drama than horror like the Twilight films, but it was still a pretty interesting story. It's about a Vampire-esque humanoid trying to find a way to live a normal life. The production values were very well done. An overall gloomy & dark tone to the film helped establish an unsettling atmosphere that gave it more of a horror vibe. The acting was good. Rory Saper did a great job handling the estranged/odd outcast role. The story itself had an inevitable and somewhat predictable ending. I wished it had more horror & violence because the gore was very well done, but sadly it focused more on the drama, relationships & background of Rufus and the rest of the cast and didn't provide much else.

Not really my cup of tea... 6/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crush the Skull (2015)

One of my favorite ways to watch a horror comedy is to walk into it blindfolded, not knowing that it is a horror comedy. At first I was trying to decipher the comedy which I admit felt forced in the beginning, but as it progressed it got better. Tim Chiou's character was more of a comic relief type, and really the sole-provider of comedy, but he was perfect. The film had a lot of negatives up-front (within the first 10 minutes) which made me want to find something else to watch but I'm glad I continued. The acting felt wooden, and the filming & plot direction felt like something out of a low-budget amateur rejected film-school project. It's hard to believe the last ⅔ of this film made up for it, but it did. The acting vastly improved, the jokes started landing better, and the plot became a thrill ride. While this movie was not great and felt very amateur at times, it found a groove and doesn't leave you feeling regret over finishing it. So in that sense it was a success. I'd recommend it.

Low-budget horror comedy surprise... 6.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Neighbour (2016)

This was a well-made thriller. The plot, the acting, the production values and everything in-between were all great. This movie pins the corrupt against pure evil, so you know its going to be a bloody good time (pun intended)! It was directed by Mark Dunstan, who is known for The Collector (1 & 2). This film starts off somewhat slow to build backstory but it quickly picks up the pace and races to a satisfying finish. You could call it predictable since it was a basic straightforward thriller, but you never really get that sense during the movie since the thrill ride was so tense. I had a hard time finding any cons to this movie. No clichés or flaws in the progression. None of the actors took the weak route. The end result is a suspenseful movie filled with tasteful, yet brutal killings. Josh Stewart played his part perfectly.

Well-made suspenseful thriller... 8/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carnage Park (2016)

This film starts out as a very different film to the one that it finishes as. Almost as if this was directed by 2 separate people, or the director suffers from a severe case of bipolar disorder. It starts out trying to be overly stylish with slow-motion shots, flashbacks, overthetop score, etc. Felt like someone was trying really hard to rip off Quentin Tarantino. Luckily it gave up on that pretty quickly and settles into a survival thriller with lots of twists & suspense. All of Mickey Keating's previous works were known to have a touch of derangement from a psychological standpoint so I expected a twisted nature to this film, and it delivered. Utilizing the cloak & dagger approach to the main antagonist added a pretty underrated element to this thriller. Don't want to give away too much, but when the antagonist's choice of weapon is a sniper rifle you can expect a very uncomfortable atmosphere. This movie was very tense from start to finish. There's a definite The Hills Have Eyes feel to this one, only with a much more realistic villain. Probably more comparable to Desierto, but better from top to bottom. Good cast that all had great performances. Good to see Alan Ruck again. Overall this movie may be twisted & a little overthetop, but the end product is satisfying.

Tense & twisted survival thriller... 7/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leatherface (2017)

The hype around this prequel was very high. The ideas used in this movie were cool. Following a group of 4 psychopathic lunatics spreading chaos & terror across the state and making the viewer try to guess which one is the famous serial killer was fun. But sadly I think overall this film missed its mark. It tried to capture the vibe of its predecessor Texas Chainsaw films by using all the appropriate production values and even using a disturbing setup sequence to establish background. But after that I think that vibe was sort of lost along the way. At some point it felt like the prequel turned into more of a spin-off. And honestly, the lunatic they chose to be Leatherface wasn't special at all. It was hard to do with their approach to the guessing game, and I get why they did it to conceal his identity, but once you figure it out (which isn't hard to do btw) it leaves you feeling disappointed. Jed Sawyer is a legend to horror films, and to present us with a cool & collected character for 75 minutes was disappointing. You cannot expect to establish a legend's lunacy in 5-10 minutes of screenplay. Even the entire Sawyer family development was different. They weren't nearly as crazy as they were presented in the original films, but equally sadistic. This film wasn't a failure by any means as it had plenty of potential and creativity, but it simply didn't live up to its predecessors and it was somewhat dull and underwhelming in comparison. Not a bad watch, but don't expect the same shock & awe as the original films.

Would have been better if it was a spin-off vs a prequel... 5.5/10

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone happen to catch The Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix, yet? I won't reveal anything, as it was just released on Sunday (after the Super Bowl), but I happened to watch it last night, and I found it disappointing. Just curious as to others' thoughts.