• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Hokie potential Offensive Coach Tracker

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved Grimes in the interview, he is the kind of guy I think of when I hear Offensive Line Coach

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or does Jeff Grimes sport a striking resemblance to Tony Robbins?

88410_large.jpg

275353185001_1555349232001_vs-1555344685001.jpg

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]UWu4tmb-0jY[/YOUTUBE]

Just finished watching, and I agree... I like these guys. Now let's see what they can do!

Noticed that Frank said it was Stinespring who first brought up Grimes name a while back. In other words, Beamer knew he was one of the best OL coaches in the country and went after him, we didn't just get lucky having Loeffler bring him along. And give Stinespring some credit there as well.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"There's times you have to run the football.

Then again, I believe there's times when you've got to throw the football."

I guess I'll have to agree with that...

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Loeffler could stay a while:
“I really want to be at a place where I can go recruit a guy, develop him and watch him graduate, go to the NFL, win and go get another one,” Loeffler said. “But the bouncing? I’m ready to sit for a while to say the least. I’m ready to go back and do what I did when I was in Ann Arbor.”

And he thinks he can fix LT's problems pretty quickly? That would be wonderful... We'll see.
“The wonderful thing we have going with Logan is that there are some things that he does really good, and the things that he needs to work on, you can fix quickly,” Loeffler said. “It’s not like we’re recreating a motion or something of that nature."

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter...ers-biggest-job-in-2013-is-with-logan-thomas/

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a good laugh out of Teel's blog....concerning some of the ACC OC salaries.

Once it kicks in, Loeffler’s $400,000 salary at Tech will be mid-range by current ACC standards. But there was no chance the Hokies would pay him more than renowned defensive coordinator Bud Foster, who last season made $502,762.

I think the salaries that the new 3 are getting paid are about right. I think considering the everyone came out good on that. If they prove that VT is moving forward in the right direction, they will get more $$$. As they should. The money makes it fairly low risk for VT in case of a Auburn like flop the next 2-3 years well.

From USA Today’s database, here are the 2012 base salaries for offensive coordinators at the ACC’s other public schools:

North Carolina’s Blake Anderson: $250,000.

North Carolina State’s Dana Bible: $334,392.

Florida State’s James Coley: $351,650. Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher calls the plays, and earlier this week Coley left FSU, his alma mater, to become Miami’s offensive coordinator. Since Miami is a private school, no word on Coley’s pay there.
There is a many meltdown going on down in Tallyhassee right now. an OC leaving his alma mater for the enemy?? Are you FK me? Word is Jimbo is a total power-trippin micro managing dick and hard/terrible to work for. This is how many assistants he has lost this offseason? Many of them taking lateral moves.

Virginia’s Bill Lazor: $458,350.
LMAO. UVA has to be the most overpaid staff in the country. What is that A HC, Assistant HC/OC and OC all getting paid a combined 5 mill a year??

Maryland’s Mike Locksley: $507,440.
That is probably not counting 100k in bonuses for making the Rivals/Scouts/247 recruiting Top 25..think his recruiting work is a little shady?? Prolly. Most of their coaching staff is a joke IMO. I give them 1, maybe (big maybe) 2 years.

Clemson’s Chad Morris: $1,306,500.
Good coach, but WAAAAAAY overpaid. He will be exposed when Boyd and Watkins leave after next year IMO.

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson doesn’t have an offensive coordinator and calls the Yellow Jackets’ plays. Quarterbacks coach Brian Bohannon was his highest-paid offensive assistant in 2012 at $212,500.
PJ's doucheness and ego wouldn't lower himself to let someone else call his plays. Plus he can save the OC salary for his own overpaid ass.

For total assistants’ pay in 2012, Tech ranked third among ACC public schools at $2,411,046, behind Florida State’s $3,042,050 and Clemson’s $4,181,750. Virginia was sixth at $2,166,138, but the Cavaliers upped the ante considerably with recent hirings of associate head coach for offense Tom O’Brien and defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta.
How is UVA not in the top 2 or 3?? They must not pay any not named "coordinator" over a 100k a year.
EDIT: After closer look, Not sure UVAs # is taking into account the new hires.They will probably be in there after this year

Sorry, A little off topic. Move it if you would like 46..

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing VT will bump their base salaries considerably when the Auburn payments go away -- at least to match what they're currently getting. I'm assuming they'll be successful.

I think this is a winning deal all around.

Their salaries go down when the Auburn payments go away. For Grimes, that is just a few months away. For Loeffler, only a year and a half. There is zero chance that Grimes's contract is reworked in 5 months and little that Loeffler's is in 2014. Longer-term, maybe.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Their salaries go down when the Auburn payments go away. For Grimes, that is just a few months away. For Loeffler, only a year and a half. There is zero chance that Grimes's contract is reworked in 5 months and little that Loeffler's is in 2014. Longer-term, maybe.

Let's just say they agreed to the terms, so they must feel comfortable with them.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the intensity of Loeffler and Grimes. They preach toughness and the mentality oozes out of them. I love it. Moorehead seems like he could be a good fit and a good recruiter. He will be knowledgeable about what it takes to be a great WR and seems like a guy the players will want to work hard for. His youth, resume, and energy should be good for recruiting.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been watching some Grimes interview clips on youtube from back at Auburn last year. Gotta love some of the stuff he says.

Here's one interesting quote from after the AU-ULM game: "I wouldn't say that it's fluid necessarily but as we've really tried to say since the start of the season, no job is necessarily guaranteed from one game to the next, and there are a couple of guys in particular that are pushing for more playing time... so we'll see as the season progresses. I've been known to change lineups at various different times in the year. Sometimes games 4 or 5 a young guy will come on. Sometimes even later in the season."

It will be interesting to see who makes up our starting OL against Bama and whether/how that changes throughout the season. I feel confident that he'll put the guys he feels are best prepared on the field each week, and I also feel a lot more confident in his ability to identify who that is than I did with Newsome, so we'll see.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good one to watch, from spring practice at Auburn right after Loeffler arrived and the changes that brought in. Some of that should carry over to us. Also talks about bringing along (and playing) young guys, of which we have a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Loeffler's "back pain" last weekend was appendicitis.

He had his appendix taken out.