• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hokies should be disappointed but proud

hoosrise

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Heckuva game. These are my honest thoughts and reactions:

Hokie fans ought to be disappointed, sure, but really proud of how their team played. The Hokies dominated that game, and no one has stopped Denard Robinson like that, ever. That guy is a stone cold killer and has destroyed everyone, everywhere. The Hokies freaking stoned him.

It was just one of those games where they got some really back luck, made some really bad errors, and Beamer made a few bad calls. That's too bad, because Beamer is a solid as they come.

The Coales catch? I dunno - I looked like no catch to me, but it was awfully close and probably shouldn't have been overturned. The fake punt - wow. The last minute of the first half? For crying out loud ... a desperate heave on a fake punt bounces off a shoulder pad to the long snapper (told my wife you can watch football for 100 years and not see that again). A kickoff fumble. A hail mary Robinson throw that somehow get caught while 2 defenders who are right there barely miss and get tangled. Subtract the yardage from that catch from UM's totals and you get a better picture of how dominating the VT D was.

Bud Foster illustrated why he can't be a high-level HC given his well publicized (and kind of funny though honest) tirade before the game, but the dude sure dialed up a memorable performance in the game. Folks, that was Big Time. The VT defense is going to be plain scary next season and maybe the best they've ever had. Gayle is as good a DE as there is, and it was cool to see Corey Marshall emerge.

So considering the recent beating that the Hokies have taken for being a double digit winner year after year that can't win against the true elite, I thought that the Hokies totally showed up and proved without a doubt that they can impose their will on a big time team. Logan Thomas is going to make a lot of money in the NFL and could very well get a Heisman before he's done. I'd think about looking at Bruce Taylor at DE on the other side.

That said, in my opinion things are different now for the Hokies. The criticism will continue because they are too careful in scheduling, hoping for that one special year planned around the QB's class. Expectations are going to be very high given the quality of their performance against UM, but they lose a ton of guys on offense.

I really think it is a mistake to over-plan the thing. Frankly, I'd buy out a small time OOC game for next season and plug in a home and home with Michigan, or someone like them. The Hokies have a home and home with Alabama (if I recall correctly) the year after next ("coincidentally" LT's senior year), so maybe the return game will have to be set off for a couple of years. But my point is that the program is at the point where the ESPN marriage is on the rocks and needs the cred that comes with challenging the bully on the field. To some extent it's like Boise State ... they were disrespected for a long time but finally got theirs when they stepped it up, even in a weak conference.

Sorry the Hokies lost.

And by the way ... this ain't AG's Hoos anymore, so watch out for your rear view mirror! Go Hoos!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed for the most part. we'll have to agree to disagree on the part about "careful" scheduling , but no matter

rep when i can

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
decent post hoorise.

BTW the Bama game is a one time deal (the chick-fil-a game). VT has series scheduled with OHst and Wisc.
&
The Coale catch was called a td on the field the booth overturned it.

You get REP now post a little more often so that it matters. haha.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The careful scheduling part i disagree with also. We have been playing some of the toughest OOC schedules the past 7 years. (USC, Nebraska x2, Bama, Boise, LSU x2) We had some people drop out late which hurt us as well. Next year is a decent OOC with Pitt and Cincy then we are playing Bama in 2013, tOSU in 2014 & 2015. We are one of the few schools who aren't afraid to schedule like that.

Good post though

hoosrise

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For record, I do NOT wear a powdered wig. Those guys hurt me. On the other hand, I'm not sure they're any worse than an orange and maroon turkey guy. Let's just agree that's a wash.

Bud gets huge props from me for the job against Robinson.

Honestly I think the Hoos muddle along next season. It's the season after that where I think that UVA can man up against the best in the conference.