• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hodgson to Buff for Kassian

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
wow. gonna take a bit for this one to sink in.
Kassian is one tough hombre, and a game changer.

good luck Cody. just wow.

(Sulzer for Gragnani as well)

Last edited by a moderator:

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sulzer for Gragnani eases the pain a little but me no likey.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a SMART hockey trade for a cup contender. not the most popular one but a SMART one

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I was originally just shocked to see Cody go, but realistically:
- he would not have gotten a chance to supplant H Sedin or Kesler at centre.
- we NEEDED a tough son of a bitch on the wing. Kassian is that guy.

in terms of skill-type: seems to be a Yzerman-esque for Lindros-ish.
we have a boatload of skill, and a lesser amount of raw power. This balances out a bit.

my concern is: why is Kassian not playing for Buffalo now?
can he step into our line-up (now or when it matters)

xalbox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting trade. It's sad to see Hodgson leave, but as said before, he probably wouldn't get a real chance of getting enough time in a top-6 center role, and getting a big power forward with good potential back is nice along with adding a puck moving d-man. Nice addition with Påhlsson and don't forget that Reinprecht is likely to be a part of the team in the playoffs. A lot of centers even with Hodgson gone.

Who do we have?

Sedin
Kesler
Påhlsson
Malhotra
Lapierre
Reinprecht

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets see how Raymond reacts to not being traded. last few games have been better.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our bottom 6 acquisition and I like that we got some D depth albeit a tough young

Id give this deadline a B- but I think it has a lot to do with what was being asked for fringe players.

I also like that Gillis said he didn't want to trade away a young guy like hodgson for an older player. he wanted to make sure it was young for young

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so many questions ... who is the centre on the 2nd unit pp? ... who does Kassian play with?

I liked the chemistry that was coming along between Coho and booth ... I really dont see any chemistry between Kesler and Booth ... to steal Gallaghers phrase ... "its like they skate up and down ice with blinders on"

I woulda wished that Coho got more time on wing with Kesler and Booth

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scaled.php

The_Franchise78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
meh

Excited about Kassian but I really wonder if this is the right deal at the right time for a cup-contending team.

My issues with it:
1 - Our goal is to win the cup this year but Hodgson is outproducing Kassian who could not even crack a weak Buffalo lineup. If we want someone to hit, we could trade for a 4th liner.
2 - Hodgson was replaced with Pahlsson. That means we have Pahlsson, Lapierre, Reinprecht and Malhotra as centers for the bottom 2 lines. None of these guys are able to replace Kesler or Henrik should they get hurt. Ebbett and Hodgson were our 2 backups in that position, 1 is out for the year and the other is injured.
3 - The 2nd PP unit just got much weaker
4 - Hodgson should have been given an opportunity to center Kesler and Booth on the 2nd line. Kesler played RW successfully before when Mats came aboard. Hodgson is a playmaker, whereas Kesler and Booth are both power forwards that drive the net. Could have been a deadly combination. Reminds me of AV's reluctance to put Raymond, Kesler and Grabner together a couple of years ago.
5 - Gragnani could not even crack a weak Buffalo line-up. We do not have any defenseman capable of playing top-4 minutes in the playoffs should an injury occur to Salo/Edler/Bieksa/Hamhuis.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think its fairly certain that Coho asked to be traded (if not him then his agent or his father) ... if Cohos representation didnt, Gillis would have said when asked about it, "NO, HE DID NOT ASK TO BE TRADED" ... instead he responded with, something to the effect of those are internal organizational issues

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the pp plan has gotta be to go 1st unit: sedin sedin kassian and kesler goes 2nd unit

/please dont be Steve Bernier redux