• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$hit just hit the fan

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my wife is currently going thru chemotherapy and first thing this morning she had a conference call with her manager who she's worked with for 5 years only to be told that she's being laid off and getting one final week of pay. ONE WEEK! Keep in mind she works for one of the most profitable pharmaceutical drug companies in the world. There's 3 other members on her team, none of them have as good of numbers as she does. Hell they even laid off one of her team members last month only to hire him back a few weeks later, and now laid off my wife.

So now we have to scramble and find new insurance as well as a new car all while still going thru chemo. Don't ever have loyalty to your company. They will drop you in a heartbeat if it means improving their bottom line. Part of me thinks they laid her off because they found out she does chemo once a week which means time out of the field. Messed up. We just built a house last year too and now we're talking about selling it.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my wife is currently going thru chemotherapy and first thing this morning she had a conference call with her manager who she's worked with for 5 years only to be told that she's being laid off and getting one final week of pay. ONE WEEK! Keep in mind she works for one of the most profitable pharmaceutical drug companies in the world. There's 3 other members on her team, none of them have as good of numbers as she does. Hell they even laid off one of her team members last month only to hire him back a few weeks later, and now laid off my wife.

So now we have to scramble and find new insurance as well as a new car all while still going thru chemo. Don't ever have loyalty to your company. They will drop you in a heartbeat if it means improving their bottom line. Part of me thinks they laid her off because they found out she does chemo once a week which means time out of the field. Messed up. We just built a house last year too and now we're talking about selling it.
Man, sorry to hear that. I wouldn't think they'd be able to get rid of her on the basis of medical problems, don't most companies have policies in place to prevent that? Hope everything ends up working out. That's tough.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry to hear that.

to oaks point, i'd seek legal council. if she was a consistent top performer and no poor performance reviews, depending on the reason behind the termination there could be legal recourse.

note: ianal

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's early but we might although I never get excited about the idea of court or paying a bunch of lawyers. Plus I'm sure that this company has covered all their bases to make sure their ass was covered before they laid her off.

Biggest fear for me is insurance. I'm self employed so we were on her companies insurance which saved us a ton of money. Now if we have to go out and find our own insurance it could cost us at least twice as much.

Thanks a lot Obama

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that! Get the hammer the big hammer

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
call a lawyer, you have grounds for action

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The American Disabilities Act assures that the company must accommodate your wife with time off for chemo. I agree with the other guys in that they can't fire her in as much as they couldn't fire a pregnant woman- go search out an attorney that specializes in disabilities & possibly Social Security disability. My best friend's wife died at 51, chemo messed up her heart. She was in congestive heart failure for years - the last few she received SS disability. Just something to think about.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks all. We're looking into it, still waiting for some of the shock to wear off. It's hard for me to imagine though that this multi-billion dollar company didn't dot their i's and cross their t's legally before making this decision.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a lot of people are working "at will" so it's possible there isn't much you could do. but as itsHusker4me said, there are acts to protect people such as your wife. definitely would be worth it imo to at least talk to a lawyer.