• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey, Canadians

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we delve into another Olympic year, I was pondering as I got sucked into the black hole that is "related videos" on youtube, what goal do you consider the "greatest goal in Canadian hockey history". As an American, I can tell you which one that is in our case ("Eruzione scores! Mike Eruzione! Now we've got bedlam!")

So, I ask you, what's the biggest Canadian goal? I feel like there's a lot more to choose from here (Henderson, Lemieux in separate Summit Series, Crosby OT winner, etc.) Just curious here. Feel free to teach this ignorant American something about Canadian hockey.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Paul Henderson. I'd be shocked if it wasn't close to unanimous.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Paul Henderson. I'd be shocked if it wasn't close to unanimous.

Was it just the timing of it all? Peak of USSR hockey, was an upset, etc? I mean, I don't have an understanding of the feelings around those Summit Series as a youngin'...

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Henderson's goal have meant even more if Bobby Clarke didn't break Kharlamov's ankle?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henderson is the most historic canadian goal but I was 2 so its not like I remember it much.

Gretzky/Lemeiux Canada Cup was pretty massive but the one that impacted ME the most was Paul Kariya in 2002 with the biggest assist going to Mario Lemeiux and he didnt even touch the puck. that was our first gold in 50 years and that game was magic just magic to me and I was AT the gold medal game in Vancouver and while that will hold a special place in my heart as the once in a lifetime goal to be a part of live the 2002 gold was that much more important. Ill never forget it. it was Marios NON action on that goal and it WAS NOT an accident.. just glorious

[YOUTUBE]-CDpKg2Dpys[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Henderson has scored for Canada"

/skipped school to watch game 8
//yes, I'm old

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it just the timing of it all? Peak of USSR hockey, was an upset, etc? I mean, I don't have an understanding of the feelings around those Summit Series as a youngin'...

it was the whole thing. USSR vs Canada for hockey supremacy. It was the cold war and the free world and the arrogance of both countries at who was better at hockey I mean the canadian players didnt even train hard lol they smoked and drank between periods in the NHL. we took them lightly early and learned FAST they came together as a group for a nation so fast and it is a wonderful story such a wonderful tournament for hockey. while I was 2 when it happened I know all about it and have watched every game multiple times. I know all that it was and means.

but since I did not see it live or understand it at 2 (I may have been still pooping my pants for all I know) 2002 was so much bigger for me but not for the country

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henderson is the most historic canadian goal but I was 2 so its not like I remember it much.

Gretzky/Lemeiux Canada Cup was pretty massive but the one that impacted ME the most was Paul Kariya in 2002 with the biggest assist going to Mario Lemeiux and he didnt even touch the puck. that was our first gold in 50 years and that game was magic just magic to me and I was AT the gold medal game in Vancouver and while that will hold a special place in my heart as the once in a lifetime goal to be a part of live the 2002 gold was that much more important. Ill never forget it. it was Marios NON action on that goal and it WAS NOT an accident.. just glorious

[YOUTUBE]-CDpKg2Dpys[/YOUTUBE]

Good addition. I remember that goal actually...the assist that never was. Hard to imagine Canada not winning for 50 years. Stupid Soviets...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Espo interview in Vancouver (after a Canada loss) is classic stuff...

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Henderson has scored for Canada"

/skipped school to watch game 8
//yes, I'm old

I'm old too dash so help me out, I've heard that call 1000 times who made that call was it Hewitt? Actually any of my Canadian friends can help me.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that not a lot of people know (or remember) is not only did Paul Henderson score the GWG in game 8, but also in games 6 and 7. He was a surprise addition to the team (not really an outstanding NHL career by any means at that point), but he sure rose to the occasion when it was needed.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm old too dash so help me out, I've heard that call 1000 times who made that call was it Hewitt? Actually any of my Canadian friends can help me.

Foster Hewitt with the legendary call, Boss.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

twas Foster. I think someone answered already but man its glorious to listen to

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You. I think it's safe to say that's Canada's equivalent to Al Michaels "Do you believe in miracles?...Yes!"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first few years after the goal when he saw the video clip of the goal, Henderson commented it would give him a chill. These days, he sees that video 2-3 times per month via his speaking engagements. "It's incredible the number of stories that people share with me of where they were and what it meant, Henderson stated."

One gentleman came up to him years later stating that Henderson's goal helped save his marriage. He had gone over to his wife's house to sign the divorce papers when the 3rd period started. She suggested that they watch the final period before signing the documents. With Henderson's last minute goal came jubilation and hugs with the realization that if they could share that much joy through this moment, that there must be other things they could enjoy together.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, Thank You guy's listening to that is awesome! I wonder if Yvan Cournoyer got an assist on that goal, probably my favorite all time Montreal Canadien (Sorry Comeds) I always liked the Roadrunner and he had an awesome name. :clap:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, Thank You guy's listening to that is awesome! I wonder if Yvan Cournoyer got an assist on that goal, probably my favorite all time Montreal Canadien (Sorry Comeds) I always liked the Roadrunner and he had an awesome name. :clap:

If I remember correctly Boss, Foster Hewitt came out of retirement to call the games for the '72 Summit Series and he was a little nervous off the hop. So nervous in fact that he pronouced The Roadrunner's name as "Cor-Noy-Er" instead of "Corn-Why-Eh"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Espo, he provided some comedic gold in Moscow...

[youtube]E_-7q2bytrw[/youtube]

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly Boss, Foster Hewitt came out of retirement to call the games for the '72 Summit Series and he was a little nervous off the hop. So nervous in fact that he pronouced The Roadrunner's name as "Cor-Noy-Er" instead of "Corn-Why-Eh"

I didn't know that? Interesting. Good move on his part.