• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey, Canadians

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first few years after the goal when he saw the video clip of the goal, Henderson commented it would give him a chill. These days, he sees that video 2-3 times per month via his speaking engagements. "It's incredible the number of stories that people share with me of where they were and what it meant, Henderson stated."

One gentleman came up to him years later stating that Henderson's goal helped save his marriage. He had gone over to his wife's house to sign the divorce papers when the 3rd period started. She suggested that they watch the final period before signing the documents. With Henderson's last minute goal came jubilation and hugs with the realization that if they could share that much joy through this moment, that there must be other things they could enjoy together.

That's...awesome.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, Thank You guy's listening to that is awesome! I wonder if Yvan Cournoyer got an assist on that goal, probably my favorite all time Montreal Canadien (Sorry Comeds) I always liked the Roadrunner and he had an awesome name. :clap:

Cournoyer had a very good tournament too, he was everywhere.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my lifetime? It was either this, which I barely remember,

Or it was this (#6?) which I remember very well from a guy that didn't do much else,

Couldn't find a clip of it on it's own but I remember watching #6 with my father and sister! It was the only time I remembered my sister taking so much interest in something I watched on TV other than when Randy Savage proposed to Miss Elizabeth (RIP to both of them!)

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my lifetime? It was either this, which I barely remember,

Or it was this (#6?) which I remember very well from a guy that didn't do much else,

Couldn't find a clip of it on it's own but I remember watching #6 with my father and sister! It was the only time I remembered my sister taking so much interest in something I watched on TV other than when Randy Savage proposed to Miss Elizabeth (RIP to both of them!)

The Lemieux goal is like a textbook example of how you put yourself in a position to score goals... give it up early, get it back late.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm far too young to remember Canada v Russia.

But just recently I watched a documentary on it, I think it was called Cold War On Ice. I'm not positive. Great documentary though..

Nice Job you damn Canadians, you beat those God damn Commies!

Free world!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GwTShB6Gfs]Sidney Crosby's Golden Goal awesome!!!!!!!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Obviously

:2cents:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mom recently bought me a photo-book on Mario. It was on sale...probably because it was written in 97 after he "retired" so it's sort of ironic to read now. Anyway, in that he talks about how the Canada Cup goal in '87 was probably one of the biggest FOR his career. He said he came back the next year more confident than ever. He said playing on that team helped him learn how to be a winner. So, thanks Gretz and Co.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember this series well having watched it as an 11 y/o. I think Orr missed the series because of one of his many knee injuries. The 76 Canada Cup was great also, this time with a gimpy Orr playing. They say his knees were so bad he couldn't practice and was basically skating on one leg yet he was voted the best player of the tourney. You can you tube Bobby and watch a clip from the legends of hockey series and hear Bobby hull and Bobby Clarke both say how they couldn't believe how he even played. As for the 72 series, I remember watching a document about it and Phil Espo saying during game 8 when they were behind he simply got pissed and said he wasn't going to lose to the Russians. I think if the game ended in a tie the Russians would have won the series. Now that pro's play in the Olympics we'll probably never see another series like those.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the Henderson goal for me. The entire school was watching it in their classrooms.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember this series well having watched it as an 11 y/o. I think Orr missed the series because of one of his many knee injuries. The 76 Canada Cup was great also, this time with a gimpy Orr playing. They say his knees were so bad he couldn't practice and was basically skating on one leg yet he was voted the best player of the tourney. You can you tube Bobby and watch a clip from the legends of hockey series and hear Bobby hull and Bobby Clarke both say how they couldn't believe how he even played. As for the 72 series, I remember watching a document about it and Phil Espo saying during game 8 when they were behind he simply got pissed and said he wasn't going to lose to the Russians. I think if the game ended in a tie the Russians would have won the series. Now that pro's play in the Olympics we'll probably never see another series like those.

We'll never see another series like that because the USSR is gone...changes things.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never see another series like that because all tournaments are played by the top NHL stars now so only stars score the goals like you expect them to ...changes things.

Fixed that for you.

I think part of what made the Henderson goal so great is he was the last guy you'd have expected to score it.

Like Eruzione.

"Great moments are born from great opportunity"

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By far the Henderson goal. It was a decade before I was born, but part of Canadian history.

For me, personally, the Kariya goal that Lemieux let through his legs was the most exciting goal I watched on television. I grew up in the 90s, and watched Canada fail at the 96 world cup and 98 olymipcs, so Salt Lake was a pretty big deal. I had all my friends over at my house. Kariya's goal tied the game IIRC, and Mario's dummy was something I'd never seen before in hockey - totally faked Richter out as well. Easily the goal I remember best.

Crosby's is up there too, but for some reason it doesn't stick the same way. Probably just because I was older and had already seen my country win a gold medal, and team win a cup. The desperation wasn't the same.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henderson for sure but i wasnt born yet so, from a personal standpoint, I guess lemieuxs from gretzky from 87 with dan kellys call is the best from my childhood

As far as my favorite game by far the one i recall with alot of swaggerific sentiment was canada russia from 2010. Maybe just the 1st period but damn i could watch that over and over again. Lol in fact i might go downstairs right now and find it on the pvr

The way bryz described that game was the smartest most lucid thing he probably ever said in his life