• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Head Coach Possibilities, Discussion

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I'd start a thread to discuss the head coaching vacancy, and the possible scenarios and candidates ..

There are so many variables, and in the coming days the picture will become more clear as to who will stay and who will go ..

There is the Wade Phillips question - if Wade signs on for a few more years as defensive coordinator, does that point to an in house promotion for, say, Joe DeCamillis as head coach ??

What about the Vance Joseph rumors ?? .. If a new, defensive minded guy is brought in, will he bring his own coordinators ??

Is the Shanahan name a taboo topic in John Elway's eyes ??

A few interesting guys for me:

- Joe DeCamillis : a Bronco staff member back in 1989 and is married to Dan Reeves' daughter - definite Bronco ties, as he was also close to Gary Kubiak .. Strikes me as a very passionate and emotional presence on the sideline ... Wade stays

- Mike McCoy: Did he get a fair shake in San Diego with all the distraction regarding the Chargers' move ?? ... Looking back, he did some miraculous things here with Tim Tebow .. He was a part of a magical run and has definite Bronco ties, which I feel is a plus with Elway

- Scott Linehan - no real ties here, but I liked him back before we hired Josh McDaniels .. Has a very good pedigree, with a few misfires ... Took a rookie in Dak and has him playing like an MVP .. An offensive mind, and Wade would be welcomed back

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Mike McCoy coming back as the OC. Not sure about HC though.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to 104.3 the Fan here in Denver on my way into work. They were floating the idea of:

Tom Coughlin - Head Coach / Manage the whole team and keep the big personalities in check
Mike McCoy - OC / fix the offense and develop Paxton Lynch
Wade Phillips - DC / keep the defense in top form

That could be a powerful combination. All three with head coaching experience and strong results as coordinators as well. Since the Broncos job is arguably the cream of the crop, Elway should have the power to assemble whatever coaching staff he desires. Just a thought...

LOVED that crushing of the Raiders yesterday!!

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OC seems to be the lynchpin here to getting the offense and a QB on track.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys prefer a brand new Head Coach or someone whose had a HC job before? The fresh guy won't have any experience but a former head coach will also have been bad enough to be fired before(unless of course we get someone like Jon Gruden or Brian Billick who retired but I doubt that's likely).

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys prefer a brand new Head Coach or someone whose had a HC job before? The fresh guy won't have any experience but a former head coach will also have been bad enough to be fired before(unless of course we get someone like Jon Gruden or Brian Billick who retired but I doubt that's likely).

My first choice and I said this last week would be Payton coupled with Wade. So unless Elway wants to blow this all up I think he needs to search with the current team in mind and possibly a vet QB plus groom Lynch.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Phillips is probably staying - so I think that means a younger guy could be brought in as HC - it makes Kyle Shanahan feasible. I do like the idea of Sean Payton - too. Hell - I could even see Elway go with Peyton Manning.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Phillips is probably staying - so I think that means a younger guy could be brought in as HC - it makes Kyle Shanahan feasible. I do like the idea of Sean Payton - too. Hell - I could even see Elway go with Peyton Manning.
There are rumors out there that Wade is considering retirement.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 to 4 candidates out there we are excited about and continue to do what we do which is a defensive team.
At least the identity of the team is still in tact.

No one on staff they want to consider for HC.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 priority is to stay strong on defense then concentrate on offense.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway mentioned "young, smart" at the end of his presser about an ideal coach.
I think Vance Joesph right up there. Young , smart, they wanted him before.
Denver has now requested Kyle Shanahan for interview.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said hopefully I stay

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Belicheck and Pete Carroll were fired after poor starts as NFL HC. Imagine you wouldn't mind one of those. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway mentioned "young, smart" at the end of his presser about an ideal coach.
I think Vance Joesph right up there. Young , smart, they wanted him before.
Denver has now requested Kyle Shanahan for interview.
Wouldn't mind him as long as we get new OC and O line coach.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Elway definitely gave a lot away at his press conference...

1) Most likely the next coach is a younger guy. That eliminates a lot of the retread coaches out there.

2) We also know that player management is a huge part of what Elway is looking for in the next coach. So that eliminates some guys like Josh McDaniels. Doubt he would be stepping back in Denver anyway but again just that type of personality is not coming through our door.

3) QB development will be a huge part of what they are looking for. Sounds like they are planning on heading into next season with Siemian and Lynch

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Elway definitely gave a lot away at his press conference...

1) Most likely the next coach is a younger guy. That eliminates a lot of the retread coaches out there.

2) We also know that player management is a huge part of what Elway is looking for in the next coach. So that eliminates some guys like Josh McDaniels. Doubt he would be stepping back in Denver anyway but again just that type of personality is not coming through our door.

3) QB development will be a huge part of what they are looking for. Sounds like they are planning on heading into next season with Siemian and Lynch

Regarding #3, he also said you look at all possibilities but Denver is in a better situation in 2017 that 2016 with their QBs.

It is still mind boggling that they though Sanchez was a starting QB for the Super Bowl champions. He was terrible again yesterday. A turnover machine.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So right now guys I do think they would be highly interested in...

1) Kyle Shanahan seems to be at the top of the list. He is the first guy they are interviewing and that should be pretty telling. He also fits everything they are looking for.

2) Vance Joseph. QB development is the one area I would question with him being hired but I do know he has a lot of connections throughout the league and is a great players' coach.

3) Anthony Lynn. If Wade is thinking about leaving it would make sense to go after Lynn as he brings with him a very proven DC in Gus Bradley. Again a guy who can work well with QB's and is well respected among his players.

4) Teryl Austin. This has been a candidate on the rise for quite some time. Actually before Kubiak put his name in the hat last time this was the guy I wanted the Broncos to hire. Just seems to get the most out of his players. Doesn't always have a ton of talent but still puts together a great scheme.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding #3, he also said you look at all possibilities but Denver is in a better situation in 2017 that 2016 with their QBs.

It is still mind boggling that they though Sanchez was a starting QB for the Super Bowl champions. He was terrible again yesterday. A turnover machine.

I think the Sanchez situation is partly because they exhausted all other avenues at that point but were still wanting at least one veteran on the team with some starting experience. I don't think they viewed him as a great starter but at least a veteran arm. Remember Elway tried quite a few avenues for the QB position including signing Brock, trading for Kaepernick, trading for Tyrod Taylor, and so on. The QB market last year was maybe one of the worst in NFL history which was not good when we were absolutely needing a QB.