• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawaii may drop football program...

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you back to the future? :shocked:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_mobidcoPvi1rlzgq1o3_500.gif

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My uncle has pretty much said this about Hawaii. He lived out there for about 5 years when his company moved him out there. Corrupted, overpriced and overrated.

I live there (here) now, and have for several years now, and I wouldn't say it isn't any more or less corrupt than anywhere on the mainland. Overpriced? Maybe, but that's what happens when you live on an island in the middle of the Pacific. Overrated? To some, defienatly hear of people who get "island fever" and can't wait to rotate off the island, also plenty of people who love it here. Just depends on your tastes.

As to the problems the UH athletic department is facing I think is primarily driven by two factors:
One, as mentioned, this is an island in the middle of the Pacific. Travel expenses are a bit higher.
Two, turnout at games, in general UH has low attendance at home games (a major source of reveune for many programs). And this is despite a very loyal fanbase. I think the reasons for that is that Aloha Stadium is a 30-40 drive from the campus (and that's with ideal traffic) and people are more inclined to tailgate at the beach than go to the game itself.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the twitterz.

Side effect of the P5 controlling all the money.

Boy how CFB has fallen. :(

Serious question: Are you afraid BSU will inevitably suffer the same fate?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean when Colt Brennan was there, they had the same national prominence as Boise. I see parallels.

The only difference is Hawaii fell off a while back and Boise (let's be honest here guys) is getting ready to fall off just as badly.

The only thing that could have saved BSU is if the Pac 10 (12, 14 whatever), chose them on their new pick up team.

Pretty much OP is venting because it's looking like game over for the Boise State football program. I'd be pissed too. It's bullshit.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other teams in the MWC are surviving.

Hawaii's situation is unique because of it's self created financial issues and sadly, a big part of it's fanbase only shows up when they are winning. Hawaii has an army of bandwagon fans.

t0nyintransit

CBS Exile
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question: Are you afraid BSU will inevitably suffer the same fate?

No. BSU, or any other g5 team, doesn't have the same issues UH does. Do I think the money grubbing that is happening by the p5 will hurt teams like BSU? Yes, of course it will. That's the point. Leave the big games and money for the historically big programs. BSU will be fine, whether we are relegated to the have nots permanently or not. We will still play and continue to try and get better. Hopefully for you p5 fans, you won't have to worry about the likes of BSU and Hawaii crashing your party any more.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of Notre Dame's three bowl wins in the past 20 years was against Hawai'i.

It would be a shame, but I understand where Ben Jay is coming from. The stadium's parking lot is used for a giant flea market three day's during the week. More people attend that than any football game.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,718.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this would suck if its true

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live there (here) now, and have for several years now, and I wouldn't say it isn't any more or less corrupt than anywhere on the mainland. Overpriced? Maybe, but that's what happens when you live on an island in the middle of the Pacific. Overrated? To some, defienatly hear of people who get "island fever" and can't wait to rotate off the island, also plenty of people who love it here. Just depends on your tastes.

As to the problems the UH athletic department is facing I think is primarily driven by two factors:
One, as mentioned, this is an island in the middle of the Pacific. Travel expenses are a bit higher.
Two, turnout at games, in general UH has low attendance at home games (a major source of reveune for many programs). And this is despite a very loyal fanbase. I think the reasons for that is that Aloha Stadium is a 30-40 drive from the campus (and that's with ideal traffic) and people are more inclined to tailgate at the beach than go to the game itself.
That makes 0 sense. A loyal fan base will show up at the games.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What can I say, it is a bit of a oxymoron, but it is 100% true.

Most residents here are absolutely fans of Warrior football, through good times and bad. So loyalty is definitely not in question. Especially considering there is nothing but UH football (and woman's volleyball). But......actually going to the games is low on the to-do list. And honestly, do you blame them? When instead of going to the game or watching it at home, you have the option of of going here:
Lanikai1.jpg

and listen to the game on radio, or heck even watch it with today's technology, even in mid-November, can you honestly say you wouldn't take that third option?

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can I say, it is a bit of a oxymoron, but it is 100% true.

Most residents here are absolutely fans of Warrior football, through good times and bad. So loyalty is definitely not in question. Especially considering there is nothing but UH football (and woman's volleyball). But......actually going to the games is low on the to-do list. And honestly, do you blame them? When instead of going to the game or watching it at home, you have the option of of going here:
Lanikai1.jpg

and listen to the game on radio, or heck even watch it with today's technology, even in mid-November, can you honestly say you wouldn't take that third option?
Right, they can go to the beach at any time, all year long but there's only a few games to go to every year. They're not loyal, that's the definition of t-shirt fans.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, everybody has other options other than football. you only get 6-7 home games a year, if you can't make those than you're really not too concerned with the team.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, it's not like I necessarily defending the UH fans here, but you have to understand it's a completely different culture out here. And for better or worse, that effects the football program.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, didn't really finish my thought: Honolulu is a shithole. Too touristy and hotel-y. Great place to visit but you wouldn't want a D-1 football program there.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks if they are really dropping football. That Haka dance that the team does pre-game is one of the coolest things going.

As to what Regent said: My wife is Hawaiian and has family there. She doesn't like to talk about it and won't say much because it truly bothers her, but it seems that there is a lot of truth to what Regent posted. It's part of the reason she said no when I suggested that we should consider moving there.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My uncle has pretty much said this about Hawaii. He lived out there for about 5 years when his company moved him out there. Corrupted, overpriced and overrated.

:lol:
I have an aunt who lives there due to work. I told her I was thinking about going there for college a couple years ago and she said don't.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not true, refer to the USC Trojans. When they aren't good and can only get 45K-50K to show up for a home game at the Coliseum, Trojan fans will tell you it's b/c there is so much more to do in LA than your town.