• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has this been the most important week in Seattle sports history?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like a very strong case can be made that this week has been the most significant in Seattle sports history.

Why do I say this?

Seahawks: On Monday Night Football the Seahawks put a beatdown on what was believed to be NFC's 2nd best team and according to ESPN's Power Rankings the #2 team in the NFL. This is also significant because it was a huge step in the direction of locking down home field advantage for the playoffs. We all know how good the Seahawks are at home and this game could have very well been the one that earned us a #1 seed.

Huskies: On Monday, in a completely shocking move to UW fans, it was announced Steve Sarkisian would be leaving the University of Washington for USC. Sark had just completed his best season as UW head coach and the best season UW football has had in over a decade. But in what turned out to be an even bigger move for the program, the Huskies signed Boise State head coach Chris Petersen as his replacement on Friday morning. Petersen has turned down numerous prominent programs throughout the years and coincidentally had turned down USC right before they hired Sarkisian. In what is unanimously a huge upgrade for the program, UW football has taken a huge step forward by hiring a coach of Petersen's caliber to replace Sark.

Mariners: This morning it was announced that the Mariners and former Yankees 2B Robinson Cano had agreed to a 10 year $240m contract. In what is the largest contract in Mariners history and tied with Albert Pujols as the 3rd largest contract in sports history, the Mariners have taken a large step in sending a message to fans and people throughout baseball that they want to win. The Mariners have become almost a running joke among the Mariners fans remaining but signing Cano, regardless of how overpaid he may be sends a strong message. The contract given to Cano is, quite honestly absurd, but Robinson Cano will be the best hitter to put on a Mariners uniform in a decade. And word is the Mariners are in trade talks with Tampa Bay in an attempt to pry former Cy Young winner David Price from them, they are also rumored to be looking to add another outfielder.

This is what I believe to be the most important week in Seattle sports history. The Seahawks could very well be on their way to the Superbowl and the win against New Orleans was a huge step in that direction. The Huskies football program is coming off of the best season it has had in a decade and with the leadership of Chris Petersen could be getting even better. The Mariners despite being laughably bad for the past decade, look to be turning the ship around with large free agent signings and possibly a blockbuster trade.

In 2008 the Mariners were 61-101. In 2008 the Seahawks went 4-12. In 2008 the Huskies went 0-12 and in 2008 the Seattle Supersonics played their last game.

Now the Mariners appear to be turning things around. The Seahawks are the NFL's best team. The Huskies are going to be playing in their 4th straight bowl game and will likely continue to improve under Chris Petersen and lastly there is an ownership group dedicated to bringing the NBA back to Seattle.

The transformation of Seattle sports has been substantial and I believe this week has been a historic part of it.

For once it is good to be a Seattle sports fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We overpayed for Cano. Its tough for me to envision anything more than .500 seasons for a couple years before Cano is old and eating up 25% of the team salary

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We overpayed for Cano. Its tough for me to envision anything more than .500 seasons for a couple years before Cano is old and eating up 25% of the team salary

Cano himself isn't the story there IMO. The story is this is the first time in more than a decade that Seattle has gone out and paid for anyone. In fact this deal is bigger than the last 5 major free agent signings in team history combined.

This sends a signal to other free agents that Seattle is serious now. This lets the other guys on the team know that no longer will batting around the mendoza line be acceptable.

You don't make a deal like this and leave it at that. It's like buying a sports car and leave the broken down doughnut tires from your old jalopy on it. This deal can't be the last step or it was a very dumb move. Add more meat and this deal is the symbol of change.

The change at the top of Nintendo in terms of who is in charge of the team along with the Armstrong retiring and now this deal signal a new era in Mariners baseball. Who cares how much Cano himself has in the tank.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Metropolitans won the Stanley Cup in 1917, becoming the first American team to do so.

UW basketball went to the Final Four in 1953 and has won 20 conference championships

Seattle Supersonics were NBA champs in 1979

UW football were National Champs in 1991 and have won 15 conference championships

The Seahawks went to the Super Bowl in 2005

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano himself isn't the story there IMO. The story is this is the first time in more than a decade that Seattle has gone out and paid for anyone. In fact this deal is bigger than the last 5 major free agent signings in team history combined.

This sends a signal to other free agents that Seattle is serious now. This lets the other guys on the team know that no longer will batting around the mendoza line be acceptable.

You don't make a deal like this and leave it at that. It's like buying a sports car and leave the broken down doughnut tires from your old jalopy on it. This deal can't be the last step or it was a very dumb move. Add more meat and this deal is the symbol of change.

The change at the top of Nintendo in terms of who is in charge of the team along with the Armstrong retiring and now this deal signal a new era in Mariners baseball. Who cares how much Cano himself has in the tank.

Good post. This is the point I was trying to make.

I feel like things for the 3 major sports teams left in Seattle (Not including the Sounders because I don't know shit about soccer) this has been a huge week.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm far from saying the Mariners are a contender but giving Cano a $240m deal is big in the fact that it does send a signal to the industry that the Mariners are finally serious about finally putting together a contending team. Which is one of the reasons I feel like this could be such a landmark move for the team.

Theoretically speaking if the Mariners do turn it around in the next few years and become a playoff contender, I think you would have to look back at the Cano signing and say it started there.

If UW is in the top 10 in a year or two you would also have to look back and feel like Petersen was the thing that put us over the top, he is an excellent coach and ecstatic is an understatement for how I feel about signing him. It is honestly the best I have felt about a Seattle move in years.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reports are that the M's aren't done, although I could do without the reported "Walker + others for Price" rumors. They can make moves to get into contention fast without losing Walker in the process.

Anyway, I think this is a sign that a) The M's are gonna make good use of the TV money they'll be raking in (both local and national) for years going forward; and b) They were tired of being the 5th most relevant sports franchise in their own city (Yes, I'm counting the Sonics even though they aren't back yet). From the mid-90's to the early part of the new millennium, they, along with the Sonics, were the kings of the city. Now? The Seahawks hold that distinction and it could be a while before they give up the position. It'd be nice to have a nationally relevant sports franchise playing games nearly every day of the year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that the M's aren't done, although I could do without the reported "Walker + others for Price" rumors. They can make moves to get into contention fast without losing Walker in the process.

Anyway, I think this is a sign that a) The M's are gonna make good use of the TV money they'll be raking in (both local and national) for years going forward; and b) They were tired of being the 5th most relevant sports franchise in their own city (Yes, I'm counting the Sonics even though they aren't back yet). From the mid-90's to the early part of the new millennium, they, along with the Sonics, were the kings of the city. Now? The Seahawks hold that distinction and it could be a while before they give up the position. It'd be nice to have a nationally relevant sports franchise playing games nearly every day of the year.

I think that the city has enough love to go around.

If the Mariners start winning they can get a following just like the Seahawks do.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it

Sounders signed Clint Dempsey...arguably the biggest signing in MLS history and one of if not the best american soccer player currently playing

Seahawks acquire Percy Harvin...injuries yeah...but once he gets healthy he's a premier player at his position and an mvp caliber player

Now the Mariners sign Robinson Cano...the best second basemen and top 5 hitter in the game

These are moves that LA and NY teams make not Seattle. It feels great to be a Seattle sports fan right now.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the city has enough love to go around.

If the Mariners start winning they can get a following just like the Seahawks do.

I don't doubt that there'll be plenty of love to go around. Seattle has one of the most passionate and rabid fan base in the country because we are seeing it now with the Seahawks and Sounders. Even when the Seahawks was struggling during their Kingdome days, we saw that the fans were extremely passionate.

Same goes for the Mariners, we saw what the City was like during the years from 1995-2001, when the Mariners would consistently lead the MLB in attendance at Safeco. I feel like one of the main reason why they're really struggling to pull 10 or 15k fans at the Safe nowadays is because people are most likely sick of the ownership and want change. I believe that the fact that the team struggles is partially to blame because if they suck but still trying, people will support them.

The NBA on the other hand made a huge mistake in leaving Seattle.:L

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt that there'll be plenty of love to go around. Seattle has one of the most passionate and rabid fan base in the country because we are seeing it now with the Seahawks and Sounders. Even when the Seahawks was struggling during their Kingdome days, we saw that the fans were extremely passionate.

Same goes for the Mariners, we saw what the City was like during the years from 1995-2001, when the Mariners would consistently lead the MLB in attendance at Safeco. I feel like one of the main reason why they're really struggling to pull 10 or 15k fans at the Safe nowadays is because people are most likely sick of the ownership and want change. I believe that the fact that the team struggles is partially to blame because if they suck but still trying, people will support them.

The NBA on the other hand made a huge mistake in leaving Seattle.:L

IMO I felt like from 1995-2001 Seattle was more of a baseball city, but since the rise of the Seahawks under Holmgren then Carroll the tide changed to football.

I think that the city has a mad passion for whoever is winning. If the Mariners put out a winning product the fans can get excited about then I have no doubt things will go great. Plus, although I'm a much bigger football fan I feel like the experience at Safeco is 50x better than Century Link. But that is just my opinion.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bombshells dropped by the Times today about the Mariners should take some of that shine off the week for you SF234. Lots of buzz about it all over the media. Jack Z comes out looking like a liar and an oaf, and the rest of the front office comes off looking like bigger and more clueless micro managers than we had already thought. Kind of kills the high from the Cano thing.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm far from saying the Mariners are a contender but giving Cano a $240m deal is big in the fact that it does send a signal to the industry that the Mariners are finally serious about finally putting together a contending team. Which is one of the reasons I feel like this could be such a landmark move for the team.

Theoretically speaking if the Mariners do turn it around in the next few years and become a playoff contender, I think you would have to look back at the Cano signing and say it started there.

If UW is in the top 10 in a year or two you would also have to look back and feel like Petersen was the thing that put us over the top, he is an excellent coach and ecstatic is an understatement for how I feel about signing him. It is honestly the best I have felt about a Seattle move in years.

The M's must build the farm system. Not to be a buzz kill but the STL Cardinals right now have a $72mm payroll after letting Beltran leave, Carp retire, didn't re-sign Furcal or Westbrook nor Mujica. That was close to $40mm removed from their 2013 payroll. Let's not forget allowing Pujol's to jettison to the Halos.

Now, STL has the #1 minor league prospect in Oscar Taveras coming up to fill in at CF and RF. Upside could be Roberto Clemente. ACraig will get a lot of time in RF as Adams takes over at 1B. The whole staff less Wainwright are kids. That's how you build a contending bb team for peanuts and yes, their payroll is peanuts.

Cano would be 33% of STL's payroll, who have been to 4 W.S. in the past 10 years.

Build through the farm system and then complete the roster with guys like Cano. You really shouldn't sign Cano and then try to complete the team.

See the Hawks, too, that's how we've been built. Draft is #1 and then free agents / trades to complete the squad.

Go Hawks!

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I felt like from 1995-2001 Seattle was more of a baseball city, but since the rise of the Seahawks under Holmgren then Carroll the tide changed to football.

I think that the city has a mad passion for whoever is winning. If the Mariners put out a winning product the fans can get excited about then I have no doubt things will go great. Plus, although I'm a much bigger football fan I feel like the experience at Safeco is 50x better than Century Link. But that is just my opinion.

I once had three Rose Bowl rings on one finger sitting at a bar with Husky players,the late 80's and early 90's were very good Dog day's.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the most important week was back when Paul Allen purchased the Seahawks…

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bombshells dropped by the Times today about the Mariners should take some of that shine off the week for you SF234. Lots of buzz about it all over the media. Jack Z comes out looking like a liar and an oaf, and the rest of the front office comes off looking like bigger and more clueless micro managers than we had already thought. Kind of kills the high from the Cano thing.

Hmmm.

I read the article and while I know that there has been criticism of the FO (rightfully so), I found that it was basically a few ex-employees who butted heads with their bosses and then unnamed and unverified sources.

Not much to it. Basically a fluff piece and hardly any surprises since everyone has been calling them out for their failures anyways.

Does not kill the high of the Cano signing at all in my opinion.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm.

I read the article and while I know that there has been criticism of the FO (rightfully so), I found that it was basically a few ex-employees who butted heads with their bosses and then unnamed and unverified sources.

Not much to it. Basically a fluff piece and hardly any surprises since everyone has been calling them out for their failures anyways.

The article pretty much confirms what many fans suspected for years anyway. There has to be more to it than you think.

The so-called "ongoing interference" by Armstrong and Lincoln is what brought this ball club down and will continue to be so until changes are made. These guys at the end of the day are business people, they have no business in interfering with people who knows baseball.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm.

So several sources saying jack z basically had others create his resume to the team with embellishments that were terribly far from the truth that spelled out the disasters he has had in trades and aquisitions along with several people, including wedge, talking about the total dysfunction of armstrong and lincoln is a puff peace? :scratch:

I'm not saying that some of that wasn't already known, but that's kind of the point. This piece put names and sources to what we already knew and added a lot more to it. I fully and completely believe wedge. He wasn't fired, he quit. He doesn't have any reason to make up things. As for the sources about jack Z there are several who all add pretty much the same perspective. All are disgruntled? :scratch:

Sorry, but given how wide spread the reactions to this piece are, this is a huge problem for them over this off season and will follow them into spring training.