• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh assistant tells recruit, "without football you wouldn't get into Michigan"

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it gets that detailed, but you're welcome to look it up.

I'm curious, what coaches would that be?

Rich Rod is the only football coach in Michigan's history to get the program put on probation, if that's what Ellupo is referring to.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I know. I just can't believe this is worth the pub it's gotten or even 7 pages on the Hoop! Glad Neal is staying in Nebraska though. Always like to see the few P5 recruited players we have stay in state.

It's not worth it, until the media outlets take a 30 second audio clip of an interview and turn "He said Daishon couldn't get into Michigan without football" into "Michigan assistant coach calls recruit an idiot to his face".

Completely overblown, but like you said, offseason.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Rod is the only football coach in Michigan's history to get the program put on probation, if that's what Ellupo is referring to.

This is what I said "Does it say how Michigan hired one coach that already coached at team that went on probation and another coach who "didn't know" about the rules after coaching 23 years? I guess some are better liars. "

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I know. I just can't believe this is worth the pub it's gotten or even 7 pages on the Hoop! Glad Neal is staying in Nebraska though. Always like to see the few P5 recruited players we have stay in state.

I'm glad we snagged Jones but Neal looks to be another potential beast, especially if his stats are accurate. And it appears he has some chip on his shoulder already... But it's always good to see local kids stay put.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we snagged Jones but Neal looks to be another potential beast, especially if his stats are accurate. And it appears he has some chip on his shoulder already... But it's always good to see local kids stay put.
Would have been nice to keep Jones. *shakes fist in your direction* We are getting thin at the DE position.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some things are better left unsaid

Maybe he is salty for being demoted to DLine coach and decided to screw Michigan over on this recruit, him flipping to Michigan was a done deal

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:omg:
Clark's no longer with the team but if I hear something I'll keep you posted. :thumb: Hold up, why don't you just ask him:

https://mobile.twitter.com/umclark57

I can't say Harbaugh inherited any major problems like Hoke did with Lewan and Gibbons. Every program will endure their fair share of problems. Some schools are better at sweeping those problems under the rug.

Based on Michigan State having a player get busted for trying to drive his car 40 yards drunk, I ould say Michigan State is not good at it. Michigan had a player assault multiple people on the street get identified by the victims and witnesses, admit to it and laughing while he "apologized" for the assault, and then didn't get his name on the police report. Which sounds like they are better at sweeping under the rug?

Last edited by a moderator:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:omg:

Based on Michigan State having a player get busted for trying to drive his car 40 yards drunk, I ould say Michigan State is not good at it. Michigan had a player assault multiple people on the street get identified by the victims and witnesses, admit to it and laughing while he "apologized" for the assault, and then didn't get his name on the police report. Which sounds like they are better at sweeping under the rug?

If I remember correctly, they kept Lewan's name off of the police report where he threatened a possible r*pe victim.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, they kept Lewan's name off of the police report where he threatened a possible r*pe victim.

That's the rumor, whether that happened or not I do not know. Based on the Lewan's character, it is a chance. I am just goino to talk about an incident that was confirmed but was swept under the rug.

Ps the OMG sign was on accident, typing from phone and now I can't edit it again

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha I played hockey with Lewans brother :pound:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan fans can try to "justify it however that want saying that is a bad strategy to try to land recruits?

Say whatever you want but you lost an almost for sure flip. Seems dumbs to me. Not the biggest loss for M (3* recruit) but it just isn't classy or a way to land the kid.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan fans can try to "justify it however that want saying that is a bad strategy to try to land recruits?

Say whatever you want but you lost an almost for sure flip. Seems dumbs to me. Not the biggest loss for M (3* recruit) but it just isn't classy or a way to land the kid.

I'm not sure it was a for sure flip. The family is saying they were leaning but based off their recent comments it seems unlikely to me.

And BTW - here's the father's facebook page. Interesting where he went to college:
http://on.fb.me/1zcmP4L

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivals listed his GPA as 3.1

It's been a while (I graduated in '93), but I went to a private school and had 4 people in my class that had 3.95 and above GPA's (two of them were 4.0). Only one got into UM AA. She got in because she tested nearly perfect on his ACT, the others were in the 90th percentile in scoring, but could only manage to get accepted to UM Dearborn (I think one ended up getting nearly a full ride to Eastern Mich). I'm pretty sure one of them transferred to AA their sophomore year, and ended up being a corporate lawyer somewhere.

I'm not sure what was said to this kid that set him off, but if the standard for being admitted as a freshman to UofM is still the same as it was when I was in HS, this kid likely didn't stand a chance of admittance w/o football. I hate to see him walk away because of this, but from what I could tell, his parents are big Nebraska fans. So I'm sure they probably had at least a slight advantage over Michigan...I guess we'll never know. I'm sure Mattison and company learned a big lesson from it as well, and better to learn it on a 3* than a high end 4* or 5*.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it was a for sure flip. The family is saying they were leaning but based off their recent comments it seems unlikely to me.

And BTW - here's the father's facebook page. Interesting where he went to college:
http://on.fb.me/1zcmP4L

I follow it pretty closely and it was a for sure. The dad even wanted him to go to Michigan because of academics. Oh well, Nebraska will be happy to keep him.

We don't know the full context of what happened so maybe what he said was taken out of context to look bad. Still, seems like an odd thing to say and obviously the dad/family took offense to the coach's comment.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a while (I graduated in '93), but I went to a private school and had 4 people in my class that had 3.95 and above GPA's (two of them were 4.0). Only one got into UM AA. She got in because she tested nearly perfect on his ACT, the others were in the 90th percentile in scoring, but could only manage to get accepted to UM Dearborn (I think one ended up getting nearly a full ride to Eastern Mich). I'm pretty sure one of them transferred to AA their sophomore year, and ended up being a corporate lawyer somewhere.

I'm not sure what was said to this kid that set him off, but if the standard for being admitted as a freshman to UofM is still the same as it was when I was in HS, this kid likely didn't stand a chance of admittance w/o football. I hate to see him walk away because of this, but from what I could tell, his parents are big Nebraska fans. So I'm sure they probably had at least a slight advantage over Michigan...I guess we'll never know. I'm sure Mattison and company learned a big lesson from it as well, and better to learn it on a 3* than a high end 4* or 5*.

Only 25% of the students that are admitted to UM have a 4.0. The SAT scores are in the 600s. It is work but not as hard as it is being made out.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They really weren't, though. Dad played for Purdue, and they just moved to Nebraska not that long ago. This wasn't one of those kids who spent every Saturday growing up going down to Lincoln for Nebraska games. A lot of our in-state recruits are like that, but Neal was not.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you go to the Tranny Academy too?!? Pat, is that you?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really weren't, though. Dad played for Purdue, and they just moved to Nebraska not that long ago. This wasn't one of those kids who spent every Saturday growing up going down to Lincoln for Nebraska games. A lot of our in-state recruits are like that, but Neal was not.

I thought I heard his dad attended the University of Nebraska.