• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hanley to Boston

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is that the Red Sox have sweetened the offer to Lester that was originally rumored to be $110-$120M. The rumor is that they upped to offer to 6 years $132M. Can get the source so I'm not putting 100% faith in it.

As to trades.........Cespades, Checchini, Middlebrooks, Nava, Craig, Napoli and even Bogaerts have been mentioned. No question the Sox are looking for top notch starters. Cole Hamels is on the back burner. Sox don't want his $90.5M contract if they can avoid it. Supposedly, Washington has offered them Zimmerman but no Boston names have been mentioned. Cincinnati would like Cespedas but the Red Sox want Leakes.

According to all of the reports early in November, Cherington wants to have his shopping and signing done by Christmas. Anything after December 25th will be minor.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'm thinking the Red Sox are doing the Mets some favors with their moves. Getting the top 2 3B available makes Daniel Murphy more appealing in a trade and if they sign Lester and manage to trade for Hamels the pitching market just dried up real quick which means teams will be calling the Mets.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanley when healthy still a very good player and can have a couple more big years in him. Dodgers have the kid coming up next year so no more room for him. good pick up for Boston.

He hasn't been health or had a very good season since 2009 and he's now on the wrong side of 30. I think Boston may have the best front office in baseball but that's a lot of money to invest in a guy you're hoping will turn around a 5 year trend.

I'm not really sure where Boston puts him either. You definitely don't want the guy playing SS.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't been health or had a very good season since 2009 and he's now on the wrong side of 30. I think Boston may have the best front office in baseball but that's a lot of money to invest in a guy you're hoping will turn around a 5 year trend.

I'm not really sure where Boston puts him either. You definitely don't want the guy playing SS.

They will slot him in left field and will try to trade Cespedes.

And, not sure what trend you're seeing. In 2013, his OPS+ was 189(!). He came in 8th in MVP voting after playing only half the year. And last year his OPS+ was 132 with a 4.7 oWAR.

The only question is if he can stay heatlhy.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will slot him in left field and will try to trade Cespedes.

And, not sure what trend you're seeing. In 2013, his OPS+ was 189(!). He came in 8th in MVP voting after playing only half the year. And last year his OPS+ was 132 with a 4.7 oWAR.

The only question is if he can stay heatlhy.

To be fair, he played 86 games.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Half the year... And still got MVP votes....

I understand he now plays for your favorite team but do you really believe that proves he had a great season or voters are assholes?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what they're saying. He certainly can't play SS anymore...

Huh. Weird.

Didn't anticipate Boston adding an outfielder. But that is a nice contract. Not long, not huge.

I figured he'd be the third baseman. With Panda and Craig first/DH. (Assuming Napoli's gone after the MrsBuchholtz FingerBum deal) Panda taking third with Xander back to short?

Suppose transitioning to left in Fenway is easier than most spots. Lot easier to come in on a ball than go back. And he can just play edge of the track till he's comfortable.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talented hitter, but he strikes me as a little dooshy.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox need PITCHING NOT ANOTHER OUTFIELDER (especially since he what never has played the outfield).

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand he now plays for your favorite team but do you really believe that proves he had a great season or voters are assholes?

His statistics prove he had a great 1/2 season. His OBP was .402 & his SLG was .638... The votes are just a side story.....

And, I'm not saying he will ever duplicate his 08 or 09 seasons... I was just disputing the "5 year trend" statement....

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh. Weird.

Didn't anticipate Boston adding an outfielder. But that is a nice contract. Not long, not huge.

I figured he'd be the third baseman. With Panda and Craig first/DH. (Assuming Napoli's gone after the MrsBuchholtz FingerBum deal) Panda taking third with Xander back to short?

Suppose transitioning to left in Fenway is easier than most spots. Lot easier to come in on a ball than go back. And he can just play edge of the track till he's comfortable.

It is very weird... For Boston, they needed to improve their offense. I'm guessing since Ramirez was the best FA available and he expressed his willingness to play OF, the Red Sox jumped and decided to figure out the OF cluster-fudge later...

Panda will not play 1B (yet). His only real value is at 3B. He would be very average at 1B/DH right now.... The only place I saw the Napoli fingerbang pics was at this web-site. It is/was a non-issue in Boston. I suspect they will even extend him if he has a semi-decent year - and when Ortiz quits, he'll platoon with Panda (or someone else) in the DH spot.... Craig will either be traded, or will be an expensive backup 1b/OF...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talented hitter, but he strikes me as a little dooshy.

A little? He is a grade A punk.

An important factor for the Red Sox is that Big Papa is like a mentor to him. Before he was shipped to Miami, Ortiz took him under his wing and they kept in touch over the years.... I am hoping he has grown up since his first run through Boston....

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox need PITCHING NOT ANOTHER OUTFIELDER (especially since he what never has played the outfield).

Be patient... It is still their #1 priority.

They'll bring in 3-4 new starters. This OF abundance will help them in the trade market...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be all about Craig as a 4th outfielder/backup 1st/backupDH/ph.

Too bad Boston won't be looking for AA outfielders in return.

There's no arguing the offense got better yesterday. If you guys bring Lester back I will be envious. If you don't, there's plenty of trade bait to bring in enough to solidify a rotation.