• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hanley to Boston

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox need PITCHING NOT ANOTHER OUTFIELDER (especially since he what never has played the outfield).

Calm down. The Red Sox have plenty of trade bait.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably swap Gee or Niese for Cespedes in a heartbeat. Both are 3/4 starters, under contract for a few years at a reasonable price. Niese is a lefty but has more health concerns. Cespedes only has a year left and won't bring back a pick, Sox don't have a lot of leverage in this situation.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down. The Red Sox have plenty of trade bait.

I know and I am sure they will trade away players to get it. However, they didn't need Ramirez yet they went out and spent the money after saying they WILL NOT go long term deals for players over 30.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably swap Gee or Niese for Cespedes in a heartbeat. Both are 3/4 starters, under contract for a few years at a reasonable price. Niese is a lefty but has more health concerns. Cespedes only has a year left and won't bring back a pick, Sox don't have a lot of leverage in this situation.

Sox would most likely want BOTH if they were to trade Cesepedes

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox would most likely want BOTH if they were to trade Cesepedes

Cespedes hasn't been anything special since his rookie season....the Cespedes we've seen the past few years isn't worth two starters.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cespedes hasn't been anything special since his rookie season....the Cespedes we've seen the past few years isn't worth two starters.

You are correct but I am thinking that what the red sox would want in return for him. Perhaps not those two but I would think they would want more than one pitcher.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, I just feel like you have to weight the situation. Getting a starting pitcher, even if they're nothing special, that you can slot into the rotation for the next 3-4 years at a decent price seems fair when you compare it to a guy that will be a 4th outfielder on your team, that is only signed for one more year and won't bring back a pick. Cespedes is good but I'm not sure how much more value you can get for him than a legit, MLB starter.

jete02fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do these moves bring a Cespedes(?) trade closer to reality??

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know and I am sure they will trade away players to get it. However, they didn't need Ramirez yet they went out and spent the money after saying they WILL NOT go long term deals for players over 30.

Well, they actually never said that. Obviously, short term deals are preferred, but when you have holes to fill and there are candidates available, you gotta do it.

Boston needs offense. Ramirez was the best player available....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next month will be interesting. John Henry (Owner) has basically said publicly, that he was not happy with the Red Sox as team or as a group. No one took a leadership role and they floated around nearly the entire year. He stated that the Red Sox would NOT sit back and let other teams outbid them for The best free agents available. So far, that statement has been 100% true. If the rumor about upping the offer to Lester is true (still can't get a source) $22M a year for 6 years is a pretty hefty sum for a 31 year old who's been a workhorse and a cancer survivor.

Another rumor is that Cincinnati wants Cespedes very bad and willing to give up pitching, which they have plenty of. The only problem is that the Red Sox want Leakes and he's the one guy that the Reds do not want to give up. I think that the Red Sox will offer Henry Owens to get Leakes, make every effort to sign Lester and try to ease the price on a trade for Cole Hamels.

Also heard yesterday that the Red Sox have made Andrew Miller an offer, as with the Lester rumor, I can't get a source or a confirmation.

jete02fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it was almost a certainty already, it does not bring it 'closer'... But yes. Cespedes will be dealt...
thanks, i wasn't going to name Ces specifically, but he was the first guy i thought of..

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next month will be interesting. John Henry (Owner) has basically said publicly, that he was not happy with the Red Sox as team or as a group. No one took a leadership role and they floated around nearly the entire year. He stated that the Red Sox would NOT sit back and let other teams outbid them for The best free agents available. So far, that statement has been 100% true. If the rumor about upping the offer to Lester is true (still can't get a source) $22M a year for 6 years is a pretty hefty sum for a 31 year old who's been a workhorse and a cancer survivor.

Another rumor is that Cincinnati wants Cespedes very bad and willing to give up pitching, which they have plenty of. The only problem is that the Red Sox want Leakes and he's the one guy that the Reds do not want to give up. I think that the Red Sox will offer Henry Owens to get Leakes, make every effort to sign Lester and try to ease the price on a trade for Cole Hamels.

Also heard yesterday that the Red Sox have made Andrew Miller an offer, as with the Lester rumor, I can't get a source or a confirmation.

ok then, we'll take Cueto :yahoo:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also with the panda and hanley signing does that mean they are out of the Lester sweepstakes?

Boston fans, if Seattle can sign Lester.

Would you be open to a Iwakuma for Cespedes trade?

1) It by no means removes them from the Lester sweepstakes. If you recall last July, they purged half of their team... With Sandoval & Ramirez they are only sitting at $152 guaranteed payroll. They have plenty of room for Lester. Then consider they are actively shopping Cespedes and his $10m (and likely another OF under contract), the'll have even more room for even more pitching (See: Miller).

2) If Boston signs Lester, they'll be looking for at least two other starters and your Iwakuma proposal would still interest them. They are both in the final year of their contracts and are relatively cheap.... What minor leaguers would Seattle be willing to throw in the deal?

If Seattle can't sign LEster I dont think they can afford to trade Kuma. Their staff is shallow.

But if they did work a trade I dont think Seattle would have to throw in any minor leaguers.

That didn't take long:

Red Sox discussing Yoenis Cespedes trade with Mariners - Over the Monster

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theo wants lester

David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs have offered free agent left-hander Jon Lester a six-year deal worth "north of" $135 million.
This is the biggest reported offer to Lester thus far, topping the six-year, $110-120 million offer he reportedly received from the Red Sox. This is shaping up to be more than a two-team race, as the Braves, Giants, and Cardinals are also involved. In fact, Kaplan pegs the Giants as a serious threat. Perhaps something close to a $25 million AAV isn't so far-fetched after all.

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Theo..........