• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haden released, where does he land?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers are stacked with talent and seems to keep getting stronger. I'm glad they finally got aggressive with the secondary. I'm tired of watching stop-gap type players get destroyed year after year. Artie Burns is the only glimmer of hope they have.

LOL...I think that's a bit strong, but you may not be far off target....I think they just got unlucky with Golson, but the early reports on Hilton, and Sutton makes me think they could join Burns and Davis as long term anchors in the secondary.

Even though I think their mindset changed some time ago on drafting CBs late and coaching them up...the kid Peters I think they really wanted and KC got him...They finally realized they had to reach a little higher on the tree with Burns...so far so good.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question....no malice. How many Steelers fans thought this guy was shit 48 hours ago and are now celebrating because they know his name? I've done that as a fan so it's interesting to see other fans maybe doing the same.

I think most hardcore Steeler fans know Joe Haden from his battles with Antonio Brown. So from that perspective I feel like we're getting a competitor and a guy that still has some game.

The only reason he's not still in CLE is because an expensive CB on the back end of his prime is not a good fit for a team maybe 2 + yrs away from being playoff caliber.

On the flip, there are some risks, Haden has been injured quite a bit lately, but I think PIT is looking at this as a yr to yr deal while Sutton or maybe Allen is ready to take over.

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most hardcore Steeler fans know Joe Haden from his battles with Antonio Brown. So from that perspective I feel like we're getting a competitor and a guy that still has some game.

The only reason he's not still in CLE is because an expensive CB on the back end of his prime is not a good fit for a team maybe 2 + yrs away from being playoff caliber.

On the flip, there are some risks, Haden has been injured quite a bit lately, but I think PIT is looking at this as a yr to yr deal while Sutton or maybe Allen is ready to take over.

That's why I like it for the Steelers. They get a veteran guy familiar with the division who will most likely be motivated on a team that can win the Lombardi Trophy. Good job by Colbert and co. IMO

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...I think that's a bit strong, but you may not be far off target....I think they just got unlucky with Golson, but the early reports on Hilton, and Sutton makes me think they could join Burns and Davis as long term anchors in the secondary.

Even though I think their mindset changed some time ago on drafting CBs late and coaching them up...the kid Peters I think they really wanted and KC got him...They finally realized they had to reach a little higher on the tree with Burns...so far so good.
Yea I was more just talking about established vs. potential. They have lots of talent back there, but until we see it in the regular season with the real schemes we won't really know. I really like Hilton & so far so good with Sutton as well. Cockrell is a solid player but he's more of a rotational guy that's better in zone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I was more just talking about established vs. potential. They have lots of talent back there, but until we see it in the regular season with the real schemes we won't really know. I really like Hilton & so far so good with Sutton as well. Cockrell is a solid player but he's more of a rotational guy that's better in zone.

The FO has a mixed bag with CBs, one of the busts (Curtis Brown?) may have been a 2nd rd but when they went with that 3rd round or later mentality for a CB...the talent suffered or just never materialized...prior to Burns, Keenan Lewis may have been the last drafted CB to amount to much and his was short lived.

Yes, we've got to see Hilton and Sutton in action to draw anything.

He won't do it, but I would release Gay and keep Cockrell.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question....no malice. How many Steelers fans thought this guy was shit 48 hours ago and are now celebrating because they know his name? I've done that as a fan so it's interesting to see other fans maybe doing the same.
Same as the others. I really wanted him on the Steelers, their secondary after Burns really wasn't that good. The fact we had to see Cockrell and Gay get outmatched play after play was frustrating.
Now only if they could replace Mike Mitchell.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch: Why Pittsburgh then:crazy:

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns couldn't get anything in trade for a guy who signed a deal at 9 million per, and reportedly left higher offers on the table to choose his team?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. As soon as I heard the Browns cut him I wanted him. I used to make fun of how bad AB used to make him look, but he does that to everyone. Haden was a solid player, and I still think he can be. It's a risk that I'm comfortable with given how bad the Steelers secondary is.
He also has a knack for picking off Flacco:yes:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you'd hope he is motivated on a contender

Definitely worth the risk
Like QBs and OL there just aren't a lot of top quality CBs out there. If you find one you need to pay. If Haden stays healthy and plays to 3/4 of his potential the Steelers did well. If he continues to get injured or plays like he has the Steelers are the same they were yesterday (-) some $.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like QBs and OL there just aren't a lot of top quality CBs out there. If you find one you need to pay. If Haden stays healthy and plays to 3/4 of his potential the Steelers did well. If he continues to get injured or plays like he has the Steelers are the same they were yesterday (-) some $.
Totally on point. I am very happy he is in Pittsburgh, surprised if he didn't want to be on a contender that he would have chosen the Pats over the Steelers. Even though Brady is older and with Garopollo there is more certainty at QB past this season vs the Steelers. Truthfully if/when Roethlisberger retires (most likely after this season) the Steelers won't be a contender anymore if they have to rely on Landry Jones.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally on point. I am very happy he is in Pittsburgh, surprised if he didn't want to be on a contender that he would have chosen the Pats over the Steelers. Even though Brady is older and with Garopollo there is more certainty at QB past this season vs the Steelers. Truthfully if/when Roethlisberger retires (most likely after this season) the Steelers won't be a contender anymore if they have to rely on Landry Jones.
Well it won't break my heart if Pitt is no longer a contender:dhd:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns couldn't get anything in trade for a guy who signed a deal at 9 million per, and reportedly left higher offers on the table to choose his team?

He was on their books for $11 mil this yr...not a big drop from $9 mil so you have a good point. I think he was more attractive as a FA because it's just his contract, no picks, plus you can the rework the contract best for your cap situation.

In this case...word is he got $7 mil for this season...at least CH wise, CLE was still on the hook for $4mil so I'm curious to see what his CH in PIT will be for this season, and the dead money hit for '18.

Being a DIV player, knowing the WRs I'm sure that factored in his decision.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was on their books for $11 mil this yr...not a big drop from $9 mil so you have a good point. I think he was more attractive as a FA because it's just his contract, no picks, plus you can the rework the contract best for your cap situation.

In this case...word is he got $7 mil for this season...at least CH wise, CLE was still on the hook for $4mil so I'm curious to see what his CH in PIT will be for this season, and the dead money hit for '18.

Being a DIV player, knowing the WRs I'm sure that factored in his decision.

I understand that he was a better option as a FA. All I'm saying is there has to be somebody out there who would have given up a 6th round pick or something. I mean anything is better than nothing isn't it?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good pickup for the Steelers, if he's healthy then this move might make them favorites in the AFC.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As sketchy (Read: outright bad) Haden has been in Cleveland lately, if he turns it around the Steelers may have one last hurrah with Ben in them. Pretty clear they're all in knowing Ben may very easily retire within the next 3 years, and maybe as soon as this upcoming offseason.