• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest dyansties

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be willing to bet I'm older than most of you, as I actually saw Joe Namath play for Alabama. But my hat's off to Oklahoma for that incredible streak in the 50's. I was born in 57.
Yeah man you got 20 on me. :suds:

My first ever OU game was 85. Troy aikmen broke his leg that game and we lost. Went on to win the title though.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Wilkenson would have more national titles but back then you were only allowed to go to a bowl game every other year so only a chance to win it every other year. That's whey even thought they won 47 straight games Oklahoma only has 2 national titles during that span. They don't pull that Alabama crap.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Ohio State's longest win streak ever in their history just snapped this year at 24 or some shit.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd call the top 2 1A and 1B at this point.

The level of domination is there for both. A 31 and 47 game win streak, vs. 4 titles in 7 years with no losses to unranked teams.

Definitely both were the best of each era respectively. Oklahoma owned the 1950s, Alabama has owned the 2010's.

Doesn't really matter who you put first, but I think there is a significant gap between 1-2 and the rest of the list.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd call the top 2 1A and 1B at this point.

The level of domination is there for both. A 31 and 47 game win streak, vs. 4 titles in 7 years with no losses to unranked teams.

Definitely both were the best of each era respectively. Oklahoma owned the 1950s, Alabama has owned the 2010's.

Doesn't really matter who you put first, but I think there is a significant gap between 1-2 and the rest of the list.

Now if Oklahoma could just get halfway to the level Alabama has been rolling at the last 7 years....

I have to believe it will happen again in my lifetime, but we really blew a golden opportunity in the 2000's. :pout:

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if Oklahoma could just get halfway to the level Alabama has been rolling at the last 7 years....

I have to believe it will happen again in my lifetime, but we really blew a golden opportunity in the 2000's. :pout:
If Stoops could win a big game... Y'all would have like 5 by now lol

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't fucking remind me. I can't fault him for the Clemson game. We were just out athleted in the trenches, especially the interior line. I actually think this year was one of stoops best coaching jobs. We went to the cfp with a lot of 3*, a handful of 4*, and one 5*. We have better athletes ready to step in there, but that doesn't excuse the other times he hasn't been able to win the big one with elite athletes.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't he just beat you guys in a bowl game a couple of years ago when everyone said OU would get crushed?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he just beat you guys in a bowl game a couple of years ago when everyone said OU would get crushed?

Yes he did, but we can't milk that cow forever and neither can he. Very happy for that win, it may have been the win that got us going in the right direction, but it doesn't change the fact that if he would've won just one of the other three natties he lost, we'd all view him very differently.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone except most Bama fans. I said on another board that year that we were probably going to lose that game. If we had been 9-3 going into that game, we would play a lot harder because there was something to play for. But we lost a chance at a 3 peat. Imagine a 13-0 Alabama playing a 13-0 FSU for the national title...
and then imagine having those kind of hopes dropping to playing in the Sugar Bowl (where we can't seem to win if it's not called the national championship) with an 11-1 Alabama playing a 10-2 Oklahoma who didn't even win their conference, but beat their rival. It's not an excuse I'm making, it's the standard in place. Since 2010, it's been Natty or Bust.

That's not just my words, it's Saban's. Even Saban said himself said he wasn't satisfied with 3 out of 6 a couple years ago, that we should have had 8. That's just the way he works.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OU record from 1948-58 is truly remarkable. Given the number of games they won over that eleven year period, it's kind of surprising that they "only" won three championships during that run.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Wilkenson would have more national titles but back then you were only allowed to go to a bowl game every other year so only a chance to win it every other year. That's whey even thought they won 47 straight games Oklahoma only has 2 national titles during that span. They don't pull that Alabama crap.

Didn't realize that. That explains how OU could have won so many games, including the two long win streaks, and not won more championships than they did from '48-'58,

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone except most Bama fans. I said on another board that year that we were probably going to lose that game. If we had been 9-3 going into that game, we would play a lot harder because there was something to play for. But we lost a chance at a 3 peat. Imagine a 13-0 Alabama playing a 13-0 FSU for the national title...
and then imagine having those kind of hopes dropping to playing in the Sugar Bowl (where we can't seem to win if it's not called the national championship) with an 11-1 Alabama playing a 10-2 Oklahoma who didn't even win their conference, but beat their rival. It's not an excuse I'm making, it's the standard in place. Since 2010, it's been Natty or Bust.

That's not just my words, it's Saban's. Even Saban said himself said he wasn't satisfied with 3 out of 6 a couple years ago, that we should have had 8. That's just the way he works.

I hear that a lot, but I have a hard time believing players and coaches don't care enough to try and win if it's not the NC game. If this is the case, then that loss is on the coaching staff for not caring enough to get the team up for the game.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he did, but we can't milk that cow forever and neither can he. Very happy for that win, it may have been the win that got us going in the right direction, but it doesn't change the fact that if he would've won just one of the other three natties he lost, we'd all view him very differently.

True.. and I feel the same way. Once a season ends, who gives a shit what you did... now it's onto the next season. But the other guy suggested that Stoops can't win a big game, and that game against bama was pretty big. You may not love his record, but he keeps you up there year after year. If he were to leave, who knows what happens to your program.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.. and I feel the same way. Once a season ends, who gives a shit what you did... now it's onto the next season. But the other guy suggested that Stoops can't win a big game, and that game against bama was pretty big. You may not love his record, but he keeps you up there year after year. If he were to leave, who knows what happens to your program.

Absolutely. The vast majority of other teams wish they could even get there to begin with. I'm not looking to toss him aside. Let's be honest, there simply aren't Saban's and Meyer's growing on trees. When you get one, just enjoy the ride. That said, if Stoops could manage to win just one more title, it would do so much for his legacy and for us fans. He's still plenty young enough to do it, and I'm so sick of hearing "chokelahoma". As ridiculous as that shit is, the only way to shut it up is to win another big one.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things they never mention about that 47 game winning streak. 22 of those games were shutouts, two seasons (55, 56) OU held their opponents to less than 6 points/game on average. Now that's defense.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't fucking remind me. I can't fault him for the Clemson game. We were just out athleted in the trenches, especially the interior line. I actually think this year was one of stoops best coaching jobs. We went to the cfp with a lot of 3*, a handful of 4*, and one 5*. We have better athletes ready to step in there, but that doesn't excuse the other times he hasn't been able to win the big one with elite athletes.

I apparently give Oklahoma more credit vs Clemson than everyone else.

Looked to me like it was a pretty even game until injuries.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apparently give Oklahoma more credit vs Clemson than everyone else.

Looked to me like it was a pretty even game until injuries.

I have a feeling Perine was hurt long before we knew it. He absolutely bull dozed his way down the field on the first drive and then I couldn't figure out why we went away from the run. Now I've got a pretty good idea why. Then when Mixon went out I knew we were toast. We had no running game and Alex Ross just isn't a good back. If he stays healthy the whole game, maybe the outcome is different.

Losing your two running backs and your best DT isn't a recipe for success in the cfp. Then again, Clemson lost their first round DT in the first series, so no excuses. We got beat, and that's really all I can say.

I do think Oklahoma will be better next year. We've got some athletes we've been waiting on to come around who are better athletes than the upper class men we had this year. I think we make it back to the cfp if we get by that opener against Houston and the OSU.