• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading the 2017 Class

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was thinking about this today and started going through each position. I thought I would grade the class per position and then average it together for a total class grade:

Quarterback - Nebraska got their guy early on and he had an elite HS career. Can't ask for much better. the only knock on Gebbia from what I've seen is his slight build and a small concern about arm strength. Yes, he was on a stacked team but he got his play maker's the ball. What more could you ask for?

Grade: A-

Running Back -
Nebraska initially searched high and low of a dynamic running back but fell short on Alaric Williams, Verdell and a few others before landing on local product Jaylin Bradley. Now, Bradley is a stud so it's a good thing he became eligible but short of that Nebraska could have struck out.

Grade: C

Fullback -
Getting Ben Miles out of Louisiana WHILE his dad was still the head coach of LSU was a big get. He was ranked as one of the top fullbacks in the nation by every recruiting service. Reminds me a bit of Dan Vitale that played with Northwestern. Can do a bit of everything.

Grade: A-

Tight End -
Getting two TEs in this class was imperative and Nebraska got a local prospect in Austin Allen and a big guy with a ton of upside in Kurt Rafdal. The loss of Reese Leitao to Texas stings a little bit but Nebraska certainly addressed a need in a big way here.

Grade: B

Offensive Line - Nebraska lost out on big names like Foster Sarell, Chuck Filiaga and Austin Jackson but they got some good ones too. Brenden Jaimes got bumped to a 4-star on Scout late in the process and even resisted overtures from Texas late in the process to stick with Nebraska. Add in local products Chris Walker and Broc Bando (who enrolled early) and the class is solid. Though, Walker may move to the defensive side of the ball.

Wide Receiver - Nebraska struck it big with Tyjon Lindsey and Jaevon McQuitty. Keyshawn Johnson Jr. may not be as talented but he has superb hands and is a name that will resonate with people all across the nation in this class AND will likely help Nebraska land some other talented players out west in the future. Missing out on a 4th WR like Joseph Lewis, Jamire Calvin or Bryan Thompson hurts the class because they took probably about one less player in the class than they had intended.

Grade: B+

Offensive Grade: B+

Defensive Line - Nebraska got a bit of a break here when they hired Bob Diaco moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4. They were able to nab two NT types (Watts could swing out to a 3-4 DE as well) and get a good looking DE prospect in Deontre Thomas. Elite players were missing in this class but there were solid gets with a ton of potential as well.

Linebackers - Nebraska snuck Avery Roberts out of Deleware which was a HUGE pull and keeping Guy Thomas as a potential 3-4 OLB was big as well. Add in an underrated guy like Willie Hampton who is raw but has tone of athleticism and Andrew Ward and this is a good haul for Nebraska. Obviously the switch to the 3-4 hurt a little bit here but the retention of Guy is huge in that regard and the ability to recruit big athletic OLB types for next class is big as well.

Grade: B+

Secondary -
Nebraska got a homerun with Elijah Blades on signing day but missed on quite a few others that could have been massive gets in this class like Chevin Calloway, Greg Johnson, Demmodore Lenoir and others. Ultimately Nebraska likes the depth in the CB room right now and they were only going to take elite prospects this class but missing on all but one is still not a good way to end a class.

Grade: B-

Defensive Grade: B

Overall I would give this class as a whole a B+ they will need to do better in 2018 but being in the Top 25 as a consensus a big step forward.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good evaluation Nuts, very happy with the LB and DL we brought in, also great to see we didn't have to overload at any one position for once like LB in the staffs first class where I'm pretty sure we signed 39 of them
Overall I'd grade em B-

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, I like this class. Nebraska is going to have an offense.

Gebbia is a future star. Three good receivers for him to throw to. Sichterman and Jaimes I like on the O Line. Add in last year's O line and there is some hope. Tall Tight Ends that is about all I know about them. A 6' 8" tight end against a 5' 10" D back could pose problems. Miles should continue the great fullback tradition at Nebraska. Have to hope Bradley can focus on academics and football, luckily, he has Mom and Dad close by.

The QB battle is going to be very interesting. (I know, Captain Obvious)

The defense is all hopes are on Avery Roberts and Elijah Blades. Bob Diaco had better be able to work some miracles. The D backs are still the strength of the defense, but they need more help from the front seven. Nebraska really needs good or great d backs in next year's class. One thing I can't argue with, the previous coaching staff knew good defensive backs.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches did a very good job with the upcoming class offense is set now .