• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good article By Hertzel

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, especially this type of offense. As stated last years defense was better but... Nobody would call it good. Scary to think what a combo of even a top 30 defense with this offense at full song would do in a season.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt WVU's defense needs to improve.

Dana's problems mirror those of Huggy. There are so many issues that need fixin'….best to assess and identify them, make a treatment plan to correct or work on them, put the plan into motion, and assess the results.

Defense is but one issue. And, as we've hashed over a ton on here… lack of quality depth killed the defense's productivity down the stretch. Patterson was forced to play a bunch of true freshmen, burned some redshirts too… because of the lack of numbers. I know they hated to burn the redshirts… cause you're obviously redshirting a kid because he isn't necessarily ready to play.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to look at some numbers, but do any of the teams that run a hurry up offense have a great defense or great defensive numbers?

it is almost a damn if you do and a damn if you don't type situation....your offense is woring you score fast the d will be on the field, you struggle on O the D is going to be on the field...more oppurtunities for the offense to score, more oppurtunities for the D to have mental or physical break downs.

Either way the defensive coaching was as much to blame for late season failures as much as the offense....our third down defense was absolutely horrible after the Texas Tech game giving up third downs at a 48% clip. 4th down was even worse giving up 6 of 8.

i think they will continue to improve, but i never think they are going to be a top 25 defense...IMO

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to look at some numbers, but do any of the teams that run a hurry up offense have a great defense or great defensive numbers?

it is almost a damn if you do and a damn if you don't type situation....your offense is woring you score fast the d will be on the field, you struggle on O the D is going to be on the field...more oppurtunities for the offense to score, more oppurtunities for the D to have mental or physical break downs.

Either way the defensive coaching was as much to blame for late season failures as much as the offense....our third down defense was absolutely horrible after the Texas Tech game giving up third downs at a 48% clip. 4th down was even worse giving up 6 of 8.

i think they will continue to improve, but i never think they are going to be a top 25 defense...IMO

I have thought that too, DC, the hurry up offenses almost seem to preclude having a great defense, the defense has to get back on the field so quick. Like you say, used to, in Woody and Bear ball, a team MAY have had 6 posessions a game, now maybe 12 is more the norm.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a ranking of plays per game this season… also gives numbers for last 3, H/A, 2012…

College Football Stats - College FB Team Plays per Game on TeamRankings.com

Baylor was near the top in PPG with an average of 85, and they finished with the #17 team in total defense.

Clemson averaged 82 PPG, and finished #23 in total defense.

Here are the regular season rankings for total defense…

Total Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

To represent how misleading the stats can be… look no further than Marshall. They played in a weak conference against some terrible teams in their division… and had outstanding numbers on offense and defense this year.

Finished #35 in total defense. #20 in PPG at 80 per game average… and, got spanked by Rice 41-24 in the CCG.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall is an example I point to when analyzing WVU's performances from the past.

I think Hertzel's article is off when he mentions the defensive numbers for WVU took a hit when it transitioned from the 3-3-5 to the 3-4. Did he mention this transition occurred when WVU left the BE for the Big 12?

I know a sportswriters column may often include one's opinion… and, it is very clear Hertzel hates Dana too… so, his slant will always be negative… but, I would appreciate a little perspective too.

Last year, WVU had its worst defense in history. But, how did it perform against KU in 2012? KU's offense was about as productive as over half the BE last year. If WVU had remained in the BE, how many WVU fans and sportswriters would be clubbing the WVU defense to death?

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall is an example I point to when analyzing WVU's performances from the past.

I think Hertzel's article is off when he mentions the defensive numbers for WVU took a hit when it transitioned from the 3-3-5 to the 3-4. Did he mention this transition occurred when WVU left the BE for the Big 12?

I know a sportswriters column may often include one's opinion… and, it is very clear Hertzel hates Dana too… so, his slant will always be negative… but, I would appreciate a little perspective too.

Last year, WVU had its worst defense in history. But, how did it perform against KU in 2012? KU's offense was about as productive as over half the BE last year. If WVU had remained in the BE, how many WVU fans and sportswriters would be clubbing the WVU defense to death?

guess if there was anyway to compare be to b12 one might gain something but useless analysis the be not close in caliber to b12 one could think it would have been a better defense but we never know bounce from 2013 to 2012 to what could have been a bit confusing for me too many different variables none of which have revelence