• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golson

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we please get a clean game from Golson. This is the time to do it.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needs to be slid back into more of a game managers role again imo. The D is solid, and he clearly needs some pressure taken off him cause he's wilted the past 3 games, all of which have been in pretty friendly confides.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needs to be slid back into more of a game managers role again imo. The D is solid, and he clearly needs some pressure taken off him cause he's wilted the past 3 games, all of which have been in pretty friendly confides.

Go with some screens and quick and short passes.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go with some screens and quick and short passes.

I think/hope we'll start seeing a lot more RB screen passes to Folston. Seems like those quick WR screens only make the defensive line more aggressive.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think/hope we'll start seeing a lot more RB screen passes to Folston. Seems like those quick WR screens only make the defensive line more aggressive.

Not to mention running them 1 out of every 3 plays certainly helps the opponent game plan for you since you have become way too predictable. WR screens are good calls when the DBs are playing off, but ND has used them so much the DBs are jumping the play/routes now.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention running them 1 out of every 3 plays certainly helps the opponent game plan for you since you have become way too predictable. WR screens are good calls when the DBs are playing off, but ND has used them so much the DBs are jumping the play/routes now.

Exactly. And this is what frustrates me about Kelly's offense. It's like, are we that inept that we can't run some wrinkles off that same set and have a few more plays in total?

I see way too damn much of that bubble-screen and yes teams are trying to jump it more and more and I'm going to run all the way to Tallahassee if I see that bubble-screen get pick-6'd and punch Kelly in da face!

You know what else really bothers me? Where the hell are the plays for Koyack? I get that a lot of times he's held in to block but FFS coach, let the back pick-up a block every few plays and get Koyack involved. I can't believe how much we used Eifert and now Koyack is like a leper... dude should be getting 5 catches a game easy with the threat of Golson out of the backfield, Carlisle's speed, Fuller's deep threat and Robinson's height advantage, not to even mention the backs... it's so aggravating. I hope Kelly's been saving some plays so FSU doesn't have much on Koyack because nothing else makes much sense.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. And this is what frustrates me about Kelly's offense. It's like, are we that inept that we can't run some wrinkles off that same set and have a few more plays in total?

I see way too damn much of that bubble-screen and yes teams are trying to jump it more and more and I'm going to run all the way to Tallahassee if I see that bubble-screen get pick-6'd and punch Kelly in da face!

You know what else really bothers me? Where the hell are the plays for Koyack? I get that a lot of times he's held in to block but FFS coach, let the back pick-up a block every few plays and get Koyack involved. I can't believe how much we used Eifert and now Koyack is like a leper... dude should be getting 5 catches a game easy with the threat of Golson out of the backfield, Carlisle's speed, Fuller's deep threat and Robinson's height advantage, not to even mention the backs... it's so aggravating. I hope Kelly's been saving some plays so FSU doesn't have much on Koyack because nothing else makes much sense.
Great post ... wish I coulda gave that one three thumbs! I had been wondering if BK had been saving plays for the 'big games', myself.

Oh helllll yesssss Koyack! You nailed it and I brought this up before the Stanford game ... where the hell is Koyack??? Why does he get targeted so seldom? Does he have 'paws like a bunny'? He seems to have pretty decent hands from what I've seen. All of those variety of receivers have anything to do with it? Golson don't like Koyack? It's unbelievable.

And :lol: at running all the way down to T-Hassee.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post ... wish I coulda gave that one three thumbs! I had been wondering if BK had been saving plays for the 'big games', myself.

Oh helllll yesssss Koyack! You nailed it and I brought this up before the Stanford game ... where the hell is Koyack??? Why does he get targeted so seldom? Does he have 'paws like a bunny'? He seems to have pretty decent hands from what I've seen. All of those variety of receivers have anything to do with it? Golson don't like Koyack? It's unbelievable.

And :lol: at running all the way down to T-Hassee.

They say Koyack is having trouble getting out of his routes. Koyack isn't the same kind of TEs we are use to having. I will say this in the redzone lets try that fade in the back of the end zone to Robinson. We use to run that play all the time with M. Floyd and Effiert and Rudolph. No way CB out jumps Robinson. Also Fuller no matter what should get 1 bomb a game.

I have no advice on the run game. Our Oline just isn't that good this year in run blocking.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on Purguy, I do realize Koyack isn't on the same level as Eifert, but he does seem to have nice hands. If it's his coming out of routes or getting off the block to run that route, hey, Coach, coach 'em!

Yes, I see our Oline is not run blocking well, but that's partly my point, who's the line coach? Run-blocking is 'easier' than pass blocking in that with pass blocking you're reacting to the defender whereas when you run-block, you can set the tone and aren't reacting but rather dictating. I hope it gets ironed out a bit but who knows, Kelly's style is this Spread, running is secondary to him. I know he says it's important, but in the Spread offense, running is kind of secondary. Maybe Zach could put on Nick's uniform this weekend... would anyone on the opposing side notice?!

Oh yes, and you're so right, Golson has the accuracy, that play should be one of the go-to plays deep in the red-zone, Robinson in the corner of the EZ with that height should be GG 6 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WCO would be perfect for Golson. Quick passes. It would also help the Oline

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see more traditional screens as compared to wide receiver screens. Yah we run a lot of wide receiver screens, that's a play that has worked well but I'd like to see Folston and Bryant get more screens. Fuller did a tremendous job reading his blocks yesterday and was a real playmaker in the open field.

Ummm ... IIRC, I only saw two screen plays to our RBs. I don't really count WR screens and those are the ones BK seems to be in love with. That's been my bitch all year ... CALL MORE RB SCREENS ... they actually work when our ponies get the ball in open field! When you have an aggressive, pursuing D like we saw yesterday, screens are the ideal play call to 'prevent' the D from constant pursuit. Golson seemed rushed on nearly every pass play yesterday and was getting beat up unnecessarily, IMO.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. For example, the jailbreak RB screens the SEC seems to love and they're effective, I think in many cases moreso than that WR screen that happens so fast it really only takes advantage of the cushion and then relies on WR blocking on the outside. Whereas the more traditional screen relies on the OL. Now, you could point to this OLs weaknesses and make a good argument that's a reason why Kelly doesn't run them as much. However, I don't think he really ever has.

It's interesting to me because as I watch other Spread coaches, like Chip Kelly, he WANTS to run the ball, he uses the Spread to aid the running game, or at least that's his theory.

We have another TE do we not? What's so wrong with a 2 WR set with the second TE on the line helping our beleaguered OL?

I'd agree completely with the notion that Kelly needs to learn to use more elements at his disposal in the offense. Sure, your traditional spread doesn't necessarily use 2 TEs much, unless one is sitting in the slot, but that doesn't mean that Kelly also has to stay so rigid with the Spread-type offense.

I agree too that Golson is probably not the guy for Kelly to be using in taking such a rigid approach in his offensive game planning and calling like he does, given the other weaknesses the OL is exuding. To me it's like he's not seeing the problem. He only thinks that the OL is not doing it's job. NO SHIT BRIAN, your job is to counter that, fix it, work around it while you're trying to get them to execute properly.

Totally agree on Hegarty. Not that I'm dissing the kid, more so just emphasizing that our interior is getting blown up like with a consistency and there seems to have been very little adjustment besides shuffling the line. Put an extra TE in there. But then that also goes back to Kelly not using hot-reads for Golson either.

Is it that Kelly's too stubborn to change or adjust, or what?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After these past four games can we finally put to rest the "if Golson was QB last year ND goes 12-0."

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After these past four games can we finally put to rest the "if Golson was QB last year ND goes 12-0."

I don't know anyone who said that. I think Golson's athleticism might have helped in a few games last year. I think OK would have beaten us either way. The Pitt game might have had a different outcome. And we would have beat USC by more.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we can put to rest is if USC or Notre Dame are any good this season.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anyone who said that. I think Golson's athleticism might have helped in a few games last year. I think OK would have beaten us either way. The Pitt game might have had a different outcome. And we would have beat USC by more.

It was pretty common for ND fans to say that, not gonna go research but plenty of times. It was said almost as a given but I think you guys didn't realize the job Tommy did while he was there. Every game you lost last year you guys think Golson would have won that one but there are games that you guys won that you might have lost with Golson instead of Tommy.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we can put to rest is if USC or Notre Dame are any good this season.

Two different teams right now. Neither is top 15. USC is pretty consistent right now. Good offense early. Then in the second half the defense is tired due to depth but I think the coaching hasn't been great to help with that. ND can score and keep it close early they can pull ahead in the 4th. USC can win the next two or lose the next two.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty common for ND fans to say that, not gonna go research but plenty of times. It was said almost as a given but I think you guys didn't realize the job Tommy did while he was there. Every game you lost last year you guys think Golson would have won that one but there are games that you guys won that you might have lost with Golson instead of Tommy.

As I said, I think there were certain games where Golson's abilities would have been more helpful than Rees, but I don't know anyone who said we'd be 12-0.