• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is this walk-on WR that Logan was raving about the other day? Any info on him? EDIT: I see some info from Bitter on this. But any additonal info would be nice as well.

Also has Logan been doing anything over the summer to prep WRs, etc before the start of Fall Camp? I was hoping he would take the reigns as a leader of the team and coordinate workouts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charley Meyer from Benedictine. He is a teammate of Nigel Williams and was a high end walk on. He had multiple offers, injding some lower level FBS ones like Ohio, Navy and Eastern Michigan. He has some size, about 6'2" and north of 200 I believe. He tore it up last summer and looked to have really worked this past winter and spring.

I have heard the coaches almost played him on ST last year but redshirted him. Apparently he blossomed and is a potential slot guy in the rotation.

We will see how he looks in summer practices against live DBs.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavanaugh was really excited we landed him as a walk-on

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas develops mean edge in the offseason - dailypress.com

Good stuff in this article and some stuff that is truly damning of how bad of coaches O'cain and Stiney were for this offense.

With the arrival of new offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler, Thomas seems to have discovered a newfound confidence. It doesn't hurt that Thomas has had the reins loosened in terms of what he's going to be permitted to do on the field this season.

Thomas said under former offensive coordinator Bryan Stinespring, who is now Tech's recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach, and former quarterbacks coach Mike O'Cain, he was never able to make his own adjustments at the line of scrimmage based on what he saw. Everything came from the sideline or the coaches' booth.

"It honestly makes it tough when you see a blitz coming, and you can't do anything about it," said Thomas, who added he's gained more confidence because he knows he's "not going to get hit in my chin.

"You just know you've got to throw it to a hot (route).

"I've got full control of it. I didn't have any of it last year. I had the huddle call last year and that was it. Now, I can change in and out and stuff."

Loeffler has given him the ability to look for blitzes and make changes when necessary, according to Thomas. He said the way he absorbs information has improved since Loeffler was hired in January.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a reason O'Cain was an analyst for Hokie Playback broadcasts and not coaching when Frank hired him. Rodney Taylor was a better QB coach than O'Cain.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question will be whether or not the young WR's and young RB's can pick up the signal changes at the line of scrimmage.

They will be able to. Every other offense in the country can pull it off, im sure our guys can. I am just amazed they didn't let him make any changes.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will be able to. Every other offense in the country can pull it off, im sure our guys can. I am just amazed they didn't let him make any changes.

Not sure if I am totallying buying that LT was handycapped like that. As inept as Stiney and OCain were, you'd think they would be all for letting LT make changes and calls at the line....this would have easily made LT the scapegoat when the play failed....right up Stiney's alley.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I sense that this is going to make a difference.

It's just too bad that the initial test of this newfound confidence has to come against Alabama. Logan needs to keep it wound up pretty tight against Alabama, particularly with new receivers.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't care what they say, I saw it on the field. LT, himself, DID audible last year. He just didn't very often because the play from the sideline always seemed to come in late.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what they say, I saw it on the field. LT, himself, DID audible last year. He just didn't very often because the play from the sideline always seemed to come in late.

Knowing if he changed the play or called out coverages is very difficult unless we are on the field. Many times passing plays have option routes built in so he could have been giving the route info to the WRs based on the coverage. He could also have been turning back to the RBs or TEs for blocking assignments on potential blitzes. These aren't audibles since the play was never changed. Seeing a blitz on a run play and checking to a quick pass is very different.

I'm not calling you a liar or anything, just saying I never noticed him checking to a quick hit play and we ran into blitzes a lot.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing if he changed the play or called out coverages is very difficult unless we are on the field. Many times passing plays have option routes built in so he could have been giving the route info to the WRs based on the coverage. He could also have been turning back to the RBs or TEs for blocking assignments on potential blitzes. These aren't audibles since the play was never changed. Seeing a blitz on a run play and checking to a quick pass is very different.

I'm not calling you a liar or anything, just saying I never noticed him checking to a quick hit play and we ran into blitzes a lot.

The only quick hits I saw came from the opposing DL running over and through our OL.
:drum:

Moseph

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent heard anything so im guessing not.... but does anyone know if we will be getting new uniforms anytime soon? This year or next?

i know many people arent fans of the unis from the marcus vick timeframe (i actually like them), but i think we look more like the Cleveland Browns these days with our current ones. In which i dont really care for.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent heard anything so im guessing not.... but does anyone know if we will be getting new uniforms anytime soon? This year or next?

i know many people arent fans of the unis from the marcus vick timeframe (i actually like them), but i think we look more like the Cleveland Browns these days with our current ones. In which i dont really care for.

I agree - our throwbacks are kind of lackluster. From what I have heard circulating - there are no "new" uniforms this year. The only change is the VT insignia in which the old school VT was retired and the current VT logo has been incoporated into the throwbacks. There is also a rumor that we may have maroon pants for one of our games as well - but this has not been 100% confirmed.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our throwbacks are perfect. Simple and clean.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish VT would just throw back to 2008. Those unis were pretty slick.

uni2.jpg

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our throwbacks are perfect. Simple and clean.

Depends on which color version you are talking about. The orange ones are terrible. Personally I like circa 2005-07 better.

Also I would rather just stick to one helmet type unless we are doing Military Appreciation or something.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler the only preseason all-ACC team member? Really?