• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goalie Situation

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you do if you're Deano when Quick comes back 100%? Trade Scrivens?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had just thought of the same thing - this is really interesting - they can still send Martin Jones down, which I think would be the logical thing to do, contract wise, because he can continue to play every night once he goes back down - but for sure this is a dilemma - this is a great situation to have regardless - I think they'll let it continue to play out and see where this takes them

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Scrivens? Huh? They just got him. Send Jones back down to mature even more.. See how the season pans out and then make a call then. Trading Scrivens would be dumb and an unnecessary move IMO.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Scrivens? Huh? They just got him. Send Jones back down to mature even more.. See how the season pans out and then make a call then. Trading Scrivens would be dumb and an unnecessary move IMO.

That's what I'm thinking - I know people love Martin Jones now, I love what he's done, but it won't hurt him to go back to the AHL

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a shocking question actually - Scrivens will be a GIII UFA on July 1, 2014.

He had pedestrian numbers in Toronto, but he played pretty well overall. Here in LA he is behind one of the stingiest defenses in the NHL, so obviously his numbers will go up.

If anything, Quick's injury opened the door for Scrivens to be showcased at the very least and his value has no doubt risen. If Dumbo can capitalize on that, great, but with the limited body of work Scrivens has and his contract status I don't see him fetching more than a pick and not a great one at that.

Worst comes to worst, if Jones continues to play well and the return for Scrivens isn't great, they will let him walk and Jones becomes Quick's new backup for 2014-15.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck sort of hit on exactly all of the things going through my mind. We traded for Scrivens to have a solid backup, that's it. Quick is our starter, and plays a TON of games, when healthy of course. Scrivens is a UFA after this season, and I think does have some value right now. If you don't plan to resign him next season, might as well take the pick for him. It's still early to make a decision on Jones, but he looks great. He could go back down this season, but any longer than that is just a waste. Not sure what else he can achieve down there.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jones keeps going the way he is, (especially thru Canada) he becomes more of a trade option.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jones keeps going the way he is, (especially thru Canada) he becomes more of a trade option.

If they want more in return, possibly - but I think one of two things happens: They send him back to the minors when Quick comes back and then he replaces Ben Scrivens as the backup in 2014-15 or they send him back to the minors when Quick comes back and the Kings trade Ben Scrivens at the deadline for some depth either at forward or on the blueline and they call Martin Jones back up to back-up Quick the rest of the season

I don't think any scenario would involve trading Martin Jones, not right now at least

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want more in return, possibly - but I think one of two things happens: They send him back to the minors when Quick comes back and then he replaces Ben Scrivens as the backup in 2014-15 or they send him back to the minors when Quick comes back and the Kings trade Ben Scrivens at the deadline for some depth either at forward or on the blueline and they call Martin Jones back up to back-up Quick the rest of the season

I don't think any scenario would involve trading Martin Jones, not right now at least

If not this season, it will be next season when Jones becomes a RFA, hopefully the cap goes up like they said it might.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not this season, it will be next season when Jones becomes a RFA, hopefully the cap goes up like they said it might.

Well, Ben Scrivens is supposed to be a III UFA or whatever that's supposed to be, so they might want to trade him and get whatever value they can get for him, since he might go elsewhere or a team might offer a lot more money

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade The Professor, they should throw in Fratin. That guy is bum.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jones' cap hit is $550,000, Dumbo won't be giving him $1.5 million per season all of a sudden on the next contract. He has a ways to go for UFA status as well as arbitration eligibility so his next contract is not going to be huge, I would figure in the $750-800,000 range.

He will be a cheaper back up than Scrivens because of Scrivens UFA status and as mentioned, some team might give the guy $1.6 million a season, which the Kings will not.

Looking at all facts right now, this is realistically Scrivens' only season in a Kings uniform and Jones should take the back up reigns either at the Trade Deadline if Scrivens is moved or at the very latest the start of 2014-15 unless Scrivens shows he wants to be here and his salary demands aren't out of whack.

Of course, this whole discussion is contingent on Jones proving he belongs at the NHL level full time. If not, I'm pretty sure Scrivens will be retained as the back up no matter what as long as he fits in salary wise.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Ben Scrivens is supposed to be a III UFA or whatever that's supposed to be, so they might want to trade him and get whatever value they can get for him, since he might go elsewhere or a team might offer a lot more money

I completely agree. He has done well and benefits from the defensive play so his stock right now might be as high as it will ever be. Interesting situation.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade The Professor, they should throw in Fratin. That guy is bum.

I've been disappointed in Matt Frattin - he had a nice stretch with the Leafs last season where he had scored some goals but he's done next to nothing this season - he might be a guy that the Kings trade in the offseason for a pick, since I think he's a RFA