• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GNT: Islanders (4-5-2) at Bruins (5-7-0) | 7pm ET on VERSUS

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Islanders-Bruins.jpg

ISLANDERS (4-5-2) at BRUINS (5-7-0)
Last 10: New York 4-4-2; Boston 4-6-0
11 GP 12
4 W 5
5 L 7
2 OT 0
10 P 10
0.455 P% 0.417
2.09 G/G 2.75
2.54 GA/G 2.33
18.4 PP% 14.6
84.6 PK% 87.5
28.4 S/G 32.9
29.5 SA/G 29.0
48.5 FO% 53.0

-----------------------------------

Season Series:
This is the first of four meetings between the teams. Boston took three of the four matchups in 2010-11 and won the most recent meeting, a 3-2 decision on April 6 at TD Garden.

Big Story:
The Bruins got off a slow start this season, but certainly showed plenty of life on Saturday night when they crushed the Toronto Maple Leafs in a 7-0 victory at the Air Canada Centre. Tyler Seguin had a hat trick for Boston, while Tim Thomas stopped all 25 shots he faced for the shutout.

"I was a Leaf fan growing up all my life … I can't lie about that," Seguin said. "To get a hat trick against them is something pretty cool."

TEAM SCOPE

Islanders:
After watching his team get shut out on home ice by the Winnipeg Jets, Isles coach Jack Capuano knew he had to shake things up. Capuano shuffled his lines prior to Saturday's game against the Washington Capitals, and the end result was New York's first victory in three weeks as Frans Nielsen and PA Parenteau each had a goal and two assists in a 5-3 win at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

"We had to do something over the last few games and they saw that coming, that something had to be done," Capuano said. "We did the right things, we did a lot of good things that we have been doing the last few games … we just hadn't put the puck in the back of the net."

Bruins:
Everyone seemed to contribute to Boston's cause Saturday night, as Milan Lucic had a pair of goals and an assist, David Krejci had a goal and two assists and Patrice Bergeron had three assists for the Bruins, who have outscored the Maple Leafs 13-2 in two showdowns this season. Tim Thomas made 24 saves for his first shutout.

"We have to build off this," Thomas said. "(We have) another game Monday (against the Islanders) and we have to focus on that one, get ready to win it and start letting them add up."

Who's Hot:
With his 3 points Saturday night, Parenteau (2-9-11) is just one point behind Isles center John Tavares (8-4-12) for the team lead. … With his performance against the Leafs, Seguin is now 7-7-14 with a plus-10 rating in 12 games for the Bruins.

Injury Report:
Isles goalie Evgeni Nabokov is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.

Stat Pack:
Each of the Isles' three goalies -- Nabokov, Rick DiPietro and Al Montoya -- has appeared in four of the club's first 12 games.

Puck Drop:
"The way we stayed with it all night, our game plan, we battled through some adversity. That's a good hockey team. They've had a lot of success in recent years and has been in a lot of these games. For us to come back after being down a couple (goals) and then tying it, that's the way we want to play. That's the identity we want to have and it's time for us to build off of it." -- Islanders center John Tavares after Saturday's 5-3 win against Washington

lgblg-text.png

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Friends in Both Places, Milbury Will Analyze Bruins-Islanders
With Friends in Both Places, Milbury Will Analyze Bruins-Islanders - NYTimes.com

In a rare visit to the press box, Mike Milbury is set to broadcast a game between the two N.H.L. franchises he worked for. Milbury will serve as the color commentator for the Versus telecast Monday night when the Boston Bruins host the Islanders.

“I’m usually in the studio, or sometimes between the benches,” said Milbury, who works for NBC, Versus and CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada. “But they do assign me one- or two-game analyst spots a season in the broadcast booth. I guess I was an obvious choice for Bruins-Islanders.”

For Milbury, a Massachusetts native, the game is close to home in every sense. He was a defenseman for the Bruins from 1975 until 1987. He spent the first four years of his career in coaching and management with the organization. He was the head coach of the Bruins’ minor league affiliate, the Maine Mariners, for two years before becoming the head coach and assistant general manager of his hometown team. In his first year as an N.H.L. head coach, he took the Bruins to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost to the Edmonton Oilers.

Milbury worked in hockey operations for the Islanders from 1995 until 2006. He had three brief stints as the team’s head coach, but his long tenure as general manager was marked by ownership follies and instability, shoestring budgets and many of his own controversial moves. Under his watch, and not until Charles Wang purchased the franchise in 2000 and invested competitive dollars in the roster, Milbury’s teams qualified for the playoffs three times. After he stepped down as general manager in 2006, he served as a club vice president, overseeing administration and marketing at Wang’s suggestion.

His return to the booth comes as the teams he is closely connected with are off to poor starts to the season. The Bruins won the Stanley Cup last season but appear to be suffering from a championship hangover. The Islanders, who have not come close to contending for a playoff berth in the last four seasons, are tied with Boston for last place in the 15-team Eastern Conference. Both teams, however, are coming off good wins Saturday: the Bruins beat Toronto, 7-0, and the Islanders defeated Washington, 5-3.

Since Milbury still has friends and associates with the teams – most notably Wang and the Bruins president Cam Neely (who played for Milbury) – it will be interesting to see if the usually unguarded analyst will be tamer in the booth Monday. He said he would not pull any punches.

“After I left the Islanders and got back into broadcasting, Bob McKenzie gave me good advice when we worked together at TSN,” said Milbury, who lives in the Boston suburbs after a decade on Long Island. “Bob told me, ‘Once the red light goes on, there are no teams.’ That’s been my approach, and that’s how I’ll see the game Monday in Boston.”

Dave Strader will call the play-by-play, while Pierre McGuire will provide additional analysis in a booth between the Bruins’ and Islanders’ benches.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players to watch:

Islanders
John Tavares
john_tavares-1.jpg

8 goals, 4 assists, -2 +/-

PA Paranteau
PAinside.jpg

2 goals, 9 assists, 0 +/-

Bruins
Tyler Seguin
Tyler-Seguin-shows-his-worth-to-Boston-Bruins-by-scoring-4-points-in-Game-2-against-Tampa-Bay-Lightning-69808.jpg

7 goals, 7 assists, 10 +/-

Milan Lucic
Dennis+Wideman+Milan+Lucic+Buffalo+Sabres+8VQQMn9rh-xl.jpg

6 goals, 5 assists, 5 +/-

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the lineup for tonight. I wonder if Rask gets the start.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Isles will probably go with the same lineup that beat the caps. Beware of the 2nd line of Parenteau Nielsen Rolston. They seem to have gelled quickly. Bailey is now the 4the line center. Grabner with Tavares & Moulson. It looks good on paper. Hopefully we see them put things together tonight.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just hoping we didn't blow our load against the Leafs and we have some offense left for tonight.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in that case, hopefully we light him up. :hockeysmile:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in that case, hopefully we light him up. :hockeysmile:

I'd rather the Bruins wait until their next game thanks. I honestly don't want to see Nabby dealt, but having three goalies is a bit ridiculous. Besides everyone knew when the Isles claimed him it was as a trading chip.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just cause I like you as a poster, I'll go with a 2-1 Bruins win with Nabby making some insane saves. Better? :D

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your team won the cup last year. My team has sucked for over a decade. How about 2-1 Isles win in a shootout?

lol, no can do. Guess we'll just have to sit back and watch it all unfold. :thumb:

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was quick. Rask gets the start dammit (I've got Thomas)

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that jab with the hand you're holding their shirt with shit. Go ahead, start with McQuaid. He'll fuck up ANYONE the Isles throw at him!!!

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that jab with the hand you're holding their shirt with shit. Go ahead, start with McQuaid. He'll fuck up ANYONE the Isles throw at him!!!

Meh it was an okay fight, Martin stuck with him though for a littler dude. Maybe he and Rinaldo hook up on the 22nd in Philly?:tea:

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh it was an okay fight, Martin stuck with him though for a littler dude. Maybe he and Rinaldo hook up on the 22nd in Philly?:tea:

Do you agree with the comment I made about jabbing with the hand you're holding their shirt with? nothing but a pussy move IMO. I loved the old days when they just held on with one hand and punched away with the other.