• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gibson to be new DC

Jeighmonee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you're saying about keep away, but I hate the notion of doing this because you have a weak DC. I can understand because of a weak D or holes in your D, but not because your coordinator is weak.

I can see the planets lining up for a RR return and placing Gibson in this role for a year would not be a huge expense if RR would bring his staff back. I just can't see this 3-ring circus come back to Morgantown. I think we need to let that ship sail on by.

I wouldn't like having to be forced to do it either. But you do it for the same reason as you would if you had a weak D, or holes in your D. A weak DC can absolutely decimate a season (as we've seen), so it just makes sense to do whatever you can to take pressure off the D. I just don't have any confidence in him as a DC, and he's done nothing to make me feel otherwise. Like I've said, I hope he proves me wrong, and I'll have no problem whatsoever admitting it...I just don't see it happening....

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Deforrest is the new safeties coach, a position he held at Ok St from 2001-2011. Or at least that is the twitter rumor.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can not see Fraud coming back, nor can I see Luck wanting to hire him. Fraud seems to have a good gig going in Arizona, and you can not catch lightning twice. By the way, some of you said experience counts for nothing, so why does it now matter?

Well here is the thing..he does have Caoching Experience...and his resume would suggest he is ready to run a defense...true or not......

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get to 6-6 by end of season and help Dana keep his job, it will require more than coaching and prep by this team. It is going to require some players on both sides of the ball to step up and take responsibility for winning. It can't always be ONLY on the coaches shoulders. Though I would give our coaching staff a C- in getting our teams ready to play this year, especially in the last part of the season.

That is why I had asked before if there was any chance of getting a JuCo QB or new QB recruit into Morgantown if for no other reason than to light a fire under under the 2 very-average performing QBs we currently have. It is going to require some QB leadership to get production out of next years offense. After last season, I am not sure Trickett or Mallard are the guy. The showed some promise, but injury and bad decisions did them in. As for the Defense - I have no idea what we need there? Stability at the DC spot maybe?

WVU kicks off the season against Alabama, a team that will be looking to make a statement to start the season against a very under-manned WVU. I predict a total slaughter fest. WVU will be lucky to score 10 pts. and keep 'Bama under 50. Then they have their only cupcake of the year - Towson. Then an away game against MD. Who knows what happens there - MD was not as good as they played @ WV last year.

Then we head into B12 play where so far after 2 seasons, WV has not done very well. May need a 5-4 conference record to finish with 6 wins. If we go 5-4 in the B12, I will be very surprised. If WV loses to MD - it could be a LONG season yet again. Please tell me something positive so that I can look towards a positive outcome next year.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get to 6-6 by end of season and help Dana keep his job, it will require more than coaching and prep by this team. It is going to require some players on both sides of the ball to step up and take responsibility for winning. It can't always be ONLY on the coaches shoulders. Though I would give our coaching staff a C- in getting our teams ready to play this year, especially in the last part of the season.

That is why I had asked before if there was any chance of getting a JuCo QB or new QB recruit into Morgantown if for no other reason than to light a fire under under the 2 very-average performing QBs we currently have. It is going to require some QB leadership to get production out of next years offense. After last season, I am not sure Trickett or Mallard are the guy. The showed some promise, but injury and bad decisions did them in. As for the Defense - I have no idea what we need there? Stability at the DC spot maybe?

WVU kicks off the season against Alabama, a team that will be looking to make a statement to start the season against a very under-manned WVU. I predict a total slaughter fest. WVU will be lucky to score 10 pts. and keep 'Bama under 50. Then they have their only cupcake of the year - Towson. Then an away game against MD. Who knows what happens there - MD was not as good as they played @ WV last year.

Then we head into B12 play where so far after 2 seasons, WV has not done very well. May need a 5-4 conference record to finish with 6 wins. If we go 5-4 in the B12, I will be very surprised. If WV loses to MD - it could be a LONG season yet again. Please tell me something positive so that I can look towards a positive outcome next year.

Snow must be getting to you as well...Alabama turns over 60% of their starters including a 3 time SEC All Conference QB...Wv will hold their own against Alabama...getting them the first game of the year is a bonus...not sure I understand your comment about an UNDERMANNED Wv team...

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU kicks off the season against Alabama, a team that will be looking to make a statement to start the season against a very under-manned WVU. I predict a total slaughter fest. WVU will be lucky to score 10 pts. and keep 'Bama under 50.

The only hope that I can hold onto is that we were a few plays away from beating Oklahoma with Paul "Not Even a Yard" Millard and they beat Bama by 14 in the Sugar Bowl. Like us, they'll be starting a season with uncertainity at the QB position as well. I don't have a whole lot of faith in Trickett or Mallard so I'm hoping that Howard or Crest will push them into improving or beat them out. Like other posters, I would agree that it makes sense to play to your strengths. If QB play is shaky, lean on the full stable of stud RB's that we have. Hopefully, the OL has improved enough to open a few holes for these guys to run through.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OLine comment is on point, if we have even a decent Oline that can run block consistently then our offense may be pretty good. The talent at RB is where it needs to be now IMO, but the OLine? Still have to see it.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we have even a decent Oline that can run block consistently then our offense may be pretty good

IF they can, all we need is a smart, game managing QB and Holgy will not have to ask to throw 50 times a game. Just be accurate in a short, quick passing game and limit mistakes.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing about Gibson failing before even Spring ball starts is amazing to me...the guy just took the job !!...who know's we all might be saying why haven't they given him a shot before now!

Hope you're correct. I just haven't heard or read anything that has him on anybody's short list, let alone anybody's long list. If I'm wrong, then I will admit. The biggest thing he has going for him is that he should have a hell of a defense around him and big things will be expected.

To answer somebody else's comment about experience versus a lack of experience - Dana had built a successful resume in his coaching abilities for somebody to take that chance. Gibson, in my opinion, does not. I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself, albeit, at a lower level.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't like having to be forced to do it either. But you do it for the same reason as you would if you had a weak D, or holes in your D. A weak DC can absolutely decimate a season (as we've seen), so it just makes sense to do whatever you can to take pressure off the D. I just don't have any confidence in him as a DC, and he's done nothing to make me feel otherwise. Like I've said, I hope he proves me wrong, and I'll have no problem whatsoever admitting it...I just don't see it happening....

Agreed. I'll be joining you in the admitting department if this should pan out. The only thing that may be tough to measure will be whether it was the DC putting the kids in the correct position for success or are these kids that good to make up for the DCs mistakes? I think Dana will still throw downfield regardless of who is in the backfield, so I'm not sold that these backs will be the answers to the D. He had Simms last season and didn't use him to help protect the D and the fact that our QBs we're not what Dana was used to.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read a thread on BGN yesterday saying that the 3-3-5 was coming back this season. Gibson was a coach in the system, I hope he understands the whole thing fully.

Or, we could end up looking like UofM running it when Rich was there...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read a thread on BGN yesterday saying that the 3-3-5 was coming back this season. Gibson was a coach in the system, I hope he understands the whole thing fully.

Or, we could end up looking like UofM running it when Rich was there...

Well this is the worst news I have heard about this situation, and that is coming from someone who never wanted the 3-3-5 to leave. I just don't think in a make or break season you want to be trying to teach these guys a new defense. Starting to wonder who is calling the shots on situations like this...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the exact opposite...I read that Patterson supported Gibson..due to the fact he knows the defense they ran last year..he has been apart of it since his PITT days on Pattersons staff..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys hear the new rumors about WVU and Oklahoma going to the SEC? lol

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys hear the new rumors about WVU and Oklahoma going to the SEC? lol

"Done deal" :laugh3:

Heard a great point yesterday that calmed my nerves about all this.... Well, a little. A comment was made about the potential new rules change on the HUNH offenses and what effects that type of offense has made on the game. (Paraphrasing) "that offense that is spreading so wildly now in essence takes the defensive coordinator out of the game".
Obviously I don't agree totally with a statement like that BUT it's a solid point, not alot a coach can do during the week other than having your basic packages ready and knowing your personnel when it's time to sub on the fly. I can see the emphasis of knowing your personnel more that scheming some kind of exotic game plan.
Gibson knowing these kids could be more valuable than what I first thought.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson on questions about his experience – Everybody talks about it coming quick, and this and that, but it’s been twenty years. I’ve spent twenty years as a college football coach. Everybody says “aw, you’re young,” but this is my fourteenth year at the D-1 level. How much longer do you have to go? How much more do you have to do to get your opportunity? Do I have all the answers? Heck no! And that’s where you have to lean on guys that have been there and done that.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snow must be getting to you as well...Alabama turns over 60% of their starters including a 3 time SEC All Conference QB...Wv will hold their own against Alabama...getting them the first game of the year is a bonus...not sure I understand your comment about an UNDERMANNED Wv team...

I wish I was as certain WVU holds their own against 'Bama. Guess what I have seen from Dana's teams since we joined the B12 does not give me 'oodles of confidence. I agree we have some studs in the run game and I think we could have a couple of pretty good receivers - but who will throw it to them? And will the line be able to protect whoever that is? What will our (once again) overhauled Defense look like?

'Bama may well lose a good chunk of their starters, but they have guys ready to step in that got plenty of playing time backing up those no longer there. With Saban, 'Bama doesn't re-cruit, they re-load. QB is certainly a question. They were a FLUKE play away from the SEC title and probably would have played FSU for the NC. I expect them to be in the hunt for the SEC title and the NC title. I wish I could see the same rosey fututre for WVU next season. The true intent of this thread was will they win enough to save Coach's job? My thought was I am not sure enough wins are there given the caliber of the teams on our schedule.

I hope we do show well and are able to hold our own in the opener.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry - forgot to address the UNDERMANNED comment. With 'Bama - they are OVERMANNED. By that I mean, they have 2 guys (if not 3 at some) for every position on both sides of the ball that could start on most every team in the country.

By contrast, WV has very few positions (IMO) where that is the case. In many instances, WVU is an injury away from moving in a guy who isn't ready. Not to say that the coaches won't find bodies, but likely they may move a guy from their true position to fill in. Certainly there are positions (RB?) where WV has the advantage. But not enough to give us the edge against a team with the volume of quality players and staff that I see with 'Bama.

Granted, WV has a young team and some guys could step it up and come into their own and make an unexpected impact next season. And that was part of what I was saying - it can't always be on only the coach. Somethimes players need to take responsibility and step up their game.