• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gibson to be new DC

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it either.

I believe this is symbolic of our program's current state.

Dana is on a short leash. Probably not many distinguished DC's interested in associating with him right now. He may only have one year left.

Also, bringing in a new DC could be another set back to the effectiveness of the defense. A new guy may change the scheme... will definitely use different terminology.

From what I have read, WVU spoke to some available former DC's as well as some current DC's. I don't think there was much interest in the WVU position.

Kind of sad...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another DC hire by Holgorsen, another WHO?!? :wtf2: moment.

On a bright note without the splashy (more expensive) DC hire the buyout wont hurt as bad..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worried at all either way the program will have clarity on which direction to go...I do not think it was DCs not wanting to work with Dana, I think it was Dana who wanted to pick his own DC and has the guy he wants.

Things all these coaches need to prove now is they can develope players.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worried at all either way the program will have clarity on which direction to go...I do not think it was DCs not wanting to work with Dana, I think it was Dana who wanted to pick his own DC and has the guy he wants.

Things all these coaches need to prove now is they can develope players.

Let me make myself clear, I am not implying DC's don't want to work with Dana. If WVU was coming off a 10-2 season, I think there would be a nice selection of DC's waiting to be picked over. But, Dana may have one year left as HC. Not very attractive to many highly regarded DC's.

Who wants to be looking for a new job after just 1 season?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not worried either. It is what it is.

If Gibby and the staff do a decent job, the defense could continue to improve. Hard to fall below where they were 2 years ago.

If the defense looks like it did 2 years ago, WVU will be searching for a new staff.

A reported insider at BGN is posting that these coaching moves are part of a plan to facilitate the return of Rich Rodriguez. Well... he doesn't mention Rich by name... but, the inference is clear.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I do not think there is anything to their references...pure speculation to get hit IMO.

Gibson seems to have the love for WVU, hopefully that passion fosters a drive that is contagious to the players and staff.

What is the deal with Tall? His he coming back?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could also show a strength in the program. Let's face it position coordinators move into coordinator jobs every year at programs all around the country. Let's see if this staff can do more than just recruit.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Tall will be named DL coach soon. I think the school has decided to wait on making the formal announcement until the coach to be hired has cleared all background checks.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could also show a strength in the program. Let's face it position coordinators move into coordinator jobs every year at programs all around the country. Let's see if this staff can do more than just recruit.

I know this is true; however, the coach who is promoted usually has built a great reputation and gets promoted early in his coaching career.

Gibby does not have the reputation of a great coach... just that of a great recruiter. And, he has been a position coach for too long for me to feel comfortable he has the skillset necessary to succeed as a DC. Otherwise, the move to DC's would have happened earlier in his career.

But, we'll find out soon enough...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure who is perpetuating that Dana has only one year left..find that hard to beleive really...and as far as this hire...it would be a timing thing in my opinion..I would think Dana would be limiting his options if he took what was out there at this time of the year....and who knows Gibson is at a point in his career that he deserves a shot

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure who is perpetuating that Dana has only one year left..find that hard to beleive really...and as far as this hire...it would be a timing thing in my opinion..I would think Dana would be limiting his options if he took what was out there at this time of the year....and who knows Gibson is at a point in his career that he deserves a shot

Well… I guess it is a bit misleading. According to the staff at BGN, Luck has made it clear Dana can go no worse than 6-6 next season in order to keep his job.

When facing a schedule as difficult as next year's, and with question marks at QB, O-line and a new DC… getting to 6-6 may be a tall task.

That is why I reference that Dana may have only 1 year left…

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well… I guess it is a bit misleading. According to the staff at BGN, Luck has made it clear Dana can go no worse than 6-6 next season in order to keep his job.

When facing a schedule as difficult as next year's, and with question marks at QB, O-line and a new DC… getting to 6-6 may be a tall task.

That is why I reference that Dana may have only 1 year left…

First, I think this team goes 6-6 easy...second even if they don't but finish strong and things look like they are going in the right direction...they are going to bring him back...but if they go sub 500 and end like they did this year...then yes, I would see them parting ways...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I think this team goes 6-6 easy...second even if they don't but finish strong and things look like they are going in the right direction...they are going to bring him back...but if they go sub 500 and end like they did this year...then yes, I would see them parting ways...

As I said, I am just passing on what I've read.

I have my own opinion too… not that it means shit.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the 2014 schedule….

BAMA
Towson
@ MD
OU
KU
@TT
BU
@Okie St
TCU
@UT
KSU
@ISU

I don't see more than 5 wins in there.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gibby deserves a shot. I do not see this as a downgrade from our past two years. Not really an upgrade either. the big thing for the DC is he will be calling the Defenses and formations to be used. Patterson blew many calls last that contributed to at least the Texas Tech and Texas losses. The job is more about the chess game of putting players in the right places at the right times. Gibby has seen enough that he could make a better DC than a position coach.

Holgerson is on a short leash. The things that will keep him here another year include his great 2015 class, and his buyout. If we stumble, don't fill the stands and lose some of that prized class, I expect Luck to cut bait.

Which is interesting as much of this staff has worked for RR in the past. That would make for an easy transition if Luck dared to bring him back. It seems more likely now that luck did not bring in a Bill Bradley or Ed Orgeron type who he could pitch make this defense good and it will bolster your resume and if Holgs is unable to turn around the offense, you are the top HC candidate next year.

Interesting to think about Luck's motives. 1. Is he giving full support to Holgerson to make this work? Is he making it easier for a return of RR if Holgerson fails? Is he just trying to save money?

Jeighmonee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move is so disheartening. I guess we can't really perform much worse than we have over the past 2 seasons, so we've got that going for us. I just don't know if Gibby has the chops. I know some of his former players didn't have a ton of confidence in him as a position coach, so that's a bit of a concern.

But I hope he proves me wrong, and I hope he's the second coming of Dan Quinn. I just don't plan on getting my hopes up any time soon.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the 2014 schedule….

BAMA
Towson
@ MD
OU
KU