• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gibson keeping defense simple

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://wvmetronews.com/2014/03/29/for-simplicitys-sake-gibson-wants-fast-reacting-defense/

Gibson is the fourth DC for WVU in the past 4 years. Each of his 2 predecessors claimed their defense would be more simple for the kids… thus allowing them to react… and to play fast.

I found this quote interesting…
“Last year, (the defense) was too multiple,” head coach Dana Holgorsen said Saturday. “It was still an odd (front) defense, but we were doing too many different things. The one thing Tony has done a good job with is getting it a little more simplified.”

I know Casazza mentioned this in his video blog yesterday following WVU's practice… but, I thought most of WVU's problems at season's end had to do with injury, and the inexperienced players forced into action.

I hope Gibson turns out to be the first one to be right about his defense this year. The other two guys must have been full of it…

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://wvmetronews.com/2014/03/29/for-simplicitys-sake-gibson-wants-fast-reacting-defense/

Gibson is the fourth DC for WVU in the past 4 years. Each of his 2 predecessors claimed their defense would be more simple for the kids… thus allowing them to react… and to play fast.

I found this quote interesting…

I know Casazza mentioned this in his video blog yesterday following WVU's practice… but, I thought most of WVU's problems at season's end had to do with injury, and the inexperienced players forced into action.

I hope Gibson turns out to be the first one to be right about his defense this year. The other two guys must have been full of it…

I thought react and play fast is the mantra for every DC. I like to see how the other 2 fair in the near future. I think that the last one will produce some good defenses. May be wrong.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson said he simplified things for the kids last year too. Then Dana states it was too multiple. Patterson will have his chances at ASU.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another point of interest for me… the article on the offense from yesterday brought up an interesting subject.

Dawson wants his WR's to force defenses to go zone by having White and Alford consistently beating man coverage. As we've seen, man coverage predominates Big 12 defensive play. When WVU started conference play, I looked at our tiny CB's… and, my first thought was…. uh oh…

Casteel stayed in a cover 3 out of his stack. I am curious if Gibby will do the same. As we saw, the defense gave up yardage, but did not give up the big play too often.

I guess we'll find out when WVU's opponent's offense sends a guy in motion…

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if any DC had their way...they would play man up on the corners...and free a safety to roam....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charleston Daily Mail | WVU football: Gibson puts his stamp on Mountaineer defense

An interesting comment...

Gibson, though, said Saturday he thought the Mountaineers did too much last season, which kept them from becoming especially good at many things. That was all further complicated as the season progressed and the defense was besieged by injuries and forced to use young and inexperienced players. Gibson believes his approach removes a lot of the potential margin for error.“Right now we’ve got a couple fronts in, a couple base coverages in and a few blitzes, and I don’t know how much more we’re going to add to the package,” he said. “We want our kids to master what we do. If we throw 15 different coverages and five or six different fronts and a bunch of different blitzes at them, we’re not going to be good at anything.” [/QUOTE

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibby is all about simple. When he coached the CB's under RichRod, he was credited with the philosophy of keeping the play in front of you.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how success on defense will be measured now that we play in the Big 12, but the one stat we have to improve on is third down defense....I know some of the causes, but from the Texas game on we gave up a very high percentage....I believe in that game alone they were 9-9 in the second half.

Simplify, but you got to get them to make plays.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how success on defense will be measured now that we play in the Big 12, but the one stat we have to improve on is third down defense....I know some of the causes, but from the Texas game on we gave up a very high percentage....I believe in that game alone they were 9-9 in the second half.

Simplify, but you got to get them to make plays.

It was maddening last year to watch pretty good first and second down defense get the other team in third and long only to line up past the sticks and let them get it by a yard or two.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was maddening last year to watch pretty good first and second down defense get the other team in third and long only to line up past the sticks and let them get it by a yard or two.

I would lay that at the TOP of the offense to a large degree...that defense wore down and eventually lost players to injury..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would lay that at the TOP of the offense to a large degree...that defense wore down and eventually lost players to injury..

:agree: I have seen that with a lot of teams that score quickly, the defense suffers as the game goes on. I also think the team as a whole is not in the condition when Fraud was here, it has really gone down, I LOVED watching the Mounties sprint when they swapped ends at the end of the 3rd quarter, and the other team just seemed to give in a little watching. I remember Fraud bought some sort of barametric training device to prepare for going to Colorado, and Stew did not use it....... Watching the late game fades, especially against IAST at home last year, 31-14 at the half, give up 24 in the fourth quarter, then that pathetic offensive display in OT. I think we need a great strength and conditioning coach, since Barwis left, our team looks weak compared to even William and Mary.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our team looks weak compared to even William and Mary.

Well if we have heard one thing out of camp more than another it is that the team looks impressive physically. Let's hope those reports are true.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know time of possession plays a role in the fatigue factor for the defense.

There are different ways to look at TOP. Obviously, when you have a high octane offense that is scoring quickly, it places tons of pressure on the opponent to keep up the pace. If the offense fails to do so, it forces it to become one dimensional.

If the offense has a low TOP, but the field is flipped most possessions… it won't have the same impact as a TO or opponent taking over possession in WVU territory.

Look at the end of the ISU game. The end result was not entirely due to a fatigued defense. It was due to two unbelievable TO's by the offense giving ISU the ball at the WVU 38 and WVU 33.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting stat from the WVU site:

- Here is how much the game has changed in just the last 10, 15 years or so since offenses began playing at a much faster pace. In 1996, when West Virginia led the nation in total defense, the Mountaineers were defending on average about 62 offensive plays per game.
Today, that number has swelled to about 84 plays per game, which means an additional 20-22 plays per game and roughly 240 more plays per season that must be defended.
When you think about it, that’s like playing three additional games a year.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting stat from the WVU site:

- Here is how much the game has changed in just the last 10, 15 years or so since offenses began playing at a much faster pace. In 1996, when West Virginia led the nation in total defense, the Mountaineers were defending on average about 62 offensive plays per game.
Today, that number has swelled to about 84 plays per game, which means an additional 20-22 plays per game and roughly 240 more plays per season that must be defended.
When you think about it, that’s like playing three additional games a year.

What about 2010s defense? I dont think the game has changed much in three years. :L

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3