• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gibson keeping defense simple

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about 2010s defense? I dont think the game has changed much in three years. :L

2010 defense faced 803 plays for a avg of 61 ppg...looks like it has.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010 defense faced 803 plays for a avg of 61 ppg...looks like it has.

Per the link supplied by BB, 2010 WVU had 65.2 defensive plays per game. 2011 74, 2012 77.5, 2013 79. You may be trying to claim that this is an excuse for the putrid defense played the last two years, I say that because our defense has been so poor that they let the other team stay on the field for more plays. The game hasnt changed THAT much, our defense SUCKED the last few years and cant get off the field. The range on the link has been from about 60-90 for every year listed, so NO, the game has not turned into arena ball....

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the link supplied by BB, 2010 WVU had 65.2 defensive plays per game. 2011 74, 2012 77.5, 2013 79. You may be trying to claim that this is an excuse for the putrid defense played the last two years, I say that because our defense has been so poor that they let the other team stay on the field for more plays. The game hasnt changed THAT much, our defense SUCKED the last few years and cant get off the field. The range on the link has been from about 60-90 for every year listed, so NO, the game has not turned into arena ball....

Not sure where the difference in plays per game is coming from.....even with your numbers from the site the team faced 168 more plays in 2013 than 2010, almost three games more than the 10 season. For WVU the game their opponents play has definitely changed...numbers support it

I posted because I thought they were interesting numbers...I don't feel the need to come on my favorite teams board to excuse or bash....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have seen a growing number of teams go uptempo in recent years. One can look up the Big 12 numbers from last year, and see the HUGE difference between it and the numbers for BE teams when WVU was a member.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have seen a growing number of teams go uptempo in recent years. One can look up the Big 12 numbers from last year, and see the HUGE difference between it and the numbers for BE teams when WVU was a member.

One can look at the numbers from the link you posted, BB, and see that the game has NOT changed significantly, the best defenses give up about 60 plays a game, the worst about 90, and that is the case for the entire period that link covers. That is one of the things I loved about MaGee's offense, it scored quickly, but being run based, it shortened the game, which naturally limited what the other team could do when they had the ball.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can look at the numbers from the link you posted, BB, and see that the game has NOT changed significantly, the best defenses give up about 60 plays a game, the worst about 90, and that is the case for the entire period that link covers. That is one of the things I loved about MaGee's offense, it scored quickly, but being run based, it shortened the game, which naturally limited what the other team could do when they had the ball.

I guess I have trouble understanding your point DAD. I agree that tough defense can limit some plays as drives are stopped. But, I believe the numbers are more affected by the style of the opponents play than the quality of defense.

For example, the SEC has some of the statistically best defenses in the country. But, look at Ole Miss, MSU, Mizzou, A&M, UGA, AU... all uptempo teams. All of these teams averaged between 74 and 80 plays per game. I believe theses numbers are affected greater by the style of offenses of the other teams they faced in the SEC than the strength of the defenses they faced.

Those numbers are better than the highest average in Rich's era. Better than Dana's last year in the BE. BE offenses...outside of Cincy...were methodical...ate up play clock...kind of teams.

The numbers from these SEC teams clearly show a significant change in the game.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Defense Dying in College Football? | Bleacher Report

Some interesting discussion along the lines of this thread.

This is a point I was attempting to make with DAD…

Statistically speaking, what’s changed about offense in college football is the number of plays teams run. This is due to the “hurry-up,” “no-huddle” or “NASCAR” fad that is sweeping the nation.

Here’s what Alabama’s Nick Saban had to say about the craze, according to Andrew Gribble at AL.com:

It’s obviously created a tremendous advantage for the offense when teams are scoring 70 points and we’re averaging 49.5 points per game. With people that do those kinds of things. More and more people are going to do it.

I don’t think anybody really ever thought we’d go no-huddle and the coach would control the game from the sidelines and call the plays based on how the defense was lined up. That’s a real advantage for the offense.

To quantify this, take a look at the average total number of plays FBS teams have run per season since 2007:

FBS Average Total Plays Per Season: 2007-2013
2007 909
2008 858
2009 859
2010 869
2011 888
2012 904
2013 911
College Football Statistics

In 2013, defenses are giving up roughly 28 more points and 533 more total yards compared to 2008, but they’re also facing offenses that run an 54 additional plays over the course of the season.

It’s logical: The more plays you run, the more points you can potentially score, and the more points and yards the opposing defense will allow.