• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Getting ready for my trip to Green Bay this weekend

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears fan here headed north for Bears/Pack weekend.

This is my first time ever going to a game at Lambeau, and my first time heading to the Green Bay area since I was super young.

Needless to say, I'm extremely excited! But I don't know much about the area. We'll be getting there Saturday. I was just wondering what the best bars might be to head to, and also some of the best food spots.

We're also planning on tailgating, how would you advise going about this? I figured there would be some places nearby the stadium to tailgate, so I decided against putting up the cash for a pass to the stadium lot.

Thanks for any tips!

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the distillery near the stadium. Ate there twice when I went to the Philly game last year. You have to go to Curly's Pub in the stadium. Since the renovations I dont know much about the interior

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy the trip Rich

Some restaurants to consider eating at Saturday if you get there soon enough... all are close to Lambeau if staying close to stadium.

Curley´s Pub inside of Lambeau Field - been there several times... decent brews, food OK, mostly to say have eaten inside Lambeau. It is open Saturdays until 10pm I believe.

Packers.com | Curly's Pub

Stadium View Bar and Grill - my favorite for gameday to hit prior to going to game if not tailgating on my own.
http://www.thestadiumview.com/

Very popular restaurant with good food on other side of stadium.
Welcome to Kroll's West Restaurant - Located in Green Bay, Wisconsin right across from Lambeau Field

Brett Favres Steakhouse... used to have one of his MVP trophies there... unsure if still there.
Brett Favre's Steakhouse | Restaurant & Banquets Green Bay

I have not tailgated there since late 90´s... so cannot say much. But there are lots other than Lambeau to park if you have your own grill and that. Otherwise Packers have their own tailgate zone and some bars put up tents outside.

Packers tailgate zone
Packers.com | Tundra Tailgate Zone

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stadium View is a great bar. Favre's Steakhouse is top notch imo. Curly's is a great one too. it's been over 10 years since I've been there so I'm not sure what the tailgating scene is like anymore especially with Kmart being bought out down the street from Lambeau.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can tailgate pretty much anywhere you park. I've tailgated in the old K-Mart parking lot, and in the Ace Hardware parking lot (about 3 or 4 blocks away from the stadium on Ridge Road.) Usually the parking charges in private businesses go to charities...they range from $5 to $30, depending on where you park.

Restaurants...lots of great ones. Green Bay Distillery is excellent. Can't go wrong with the burgers at Krolls or Curlys. I'd check out Titletown Brewery and/or Hagemesiter near downtown...probably want to do that Saturday, as they're not really close to the stadium. Saturday night, if you want to do the "downtown" thing, my 2 favorite bars are Cock & Bull and Shenanigans, both on Main St. They're not technically downtown, but they're not as trashy as some of the true downtown bars. If you want to try that out, I suggest The Nines, and avoid Stirrups, unless you want to get in a fight with a man who's probably ******ed cattle at some point in his life.

For closer to Lambeau bars, The Bar, Anduzzis, and Stadium View are all great, right on Holmgren Way walking distance from Lambeau. They all usually have something going on on game day. Also, there's usually lots of action going in the parking lot on the East side of the stadium (aka Tundra Tailgate Zone) across from the Resch Center. I've always had fun at Fuzzy's too (owned by Fuzzy Thurston), but it's a couple miles from the stadium.

I havent gone this year yet, but I went twice last season. Despite the rivalry, fans are generally friendly to fans of the opposing team. Just don't be a dick, throw out some good-natured ribbing, and you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can tailgate pretty much anywhere you park. I've tailgated in the old K-Mart parking lot, and in the Ace Hardware parking lot (about 3 or 4 blocks away from the stadium on Ridge Road.) Usually the parking charges in private businesses go to charities...they range from $5 to $30, depending on where you park.

Restaurants...lots of great ones. Green Bay Distillery is excellent. Can't go wrong with the burgers at Krolls or Curlys. I'd check out Titletown Brewery and/or Hagemesiter near downtown...probably want to do that Saturday, as they're not really close to the stadium. Saturday night, if you want to do the "downtown" thing, my 2 favorite bars are Cock & Bull and Shenanigans, both on Main St. They're not technically downtown, but they're not as trashy as some of the true downtown bars. If you want to try that out, I suggest The Nines, and avoid Stirrups, unless you want to get in a fight with a man who's probably ******ed cattle at some point in his life.

For closer to Lambeau bars, The Bar, Anduzzis, and Stadium View are all great, right on Holmgren Way walking distance from Lambeau. They all usually have something going on on game day. Also, there's usually lots of action going in the parking lot on the East side of the stadium (aka Tundra Tailgate Zone) across from the Resch Center. I've always had fun at Fuzzy's too (owned by Fuzzy Thurston), but it's a couple miles from the stadium.

I havent gone this year yet, but I went twice last season. Despite the rivalry, fans are generally friendly to fans of the opposing team. Just don't be a dick, throw out some good-natured ribbing, and you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot man! :suds:

Super informative.

Thanks to everyone. All of these posts have helped. And as far as getting into it with Green Bay fans, I'm not one of "those" guys. lol. And neither is anyone of the other three guys I'll be rolling with. I've never so much as even exchanged words with opposing fans in the comfort of Soldier Field, more or less feeling the urge to do it surrounded by Pack fans. I've often heard the people up there are cool though, and I don't mind some good natured trash talk.

Great news that finding a tailgate spot doesn't seem to be a nightmare. Looking forward to it!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy the trip Rich

Some restaurants to consider eating at Saturday if you get there soon enough... all are close to Lambeau if staying close to stadium.

Curley´s Pub inside of Lambeau Field - been there several times... decent brews, food OK, mostly to say have eaten inside Lambeau. It is open Saturdays until 10pm I believe.

Packers.com | Curly's Pub

Stadium View Bar and Grill - my favorite for gameday to hit prior to going to game if not tailgating on my own.
http://www.thestadiumview.com/

Very popular restaurant with good food on other side of stadium.
Welcome to Kroll's West Restaurant - Located in Green Bay, Wisconsin right across from Lambeau Field

Brett Favres Steakhouse... used to have one of his MVP trophies there... unsure if still there.
Brett Favre's Steakhouse | Restaurant & Banquets Green Bay

I have not tailgated there since late 90´s... so cannot say much. But there are lots other than Lambeau to park if you have your own grill and that. Otherwise Packers have their own tailgate zone and some bars put up tents outside.

Packers tailgate zone
Packers.com | Tundra Tailgate Zone

Thanks man. The links definitely help too! :suds:

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been "out" in Green Bay in over a decade probably. I know no idea what they have for bars anymore. Tailgating, like others have said should be easy. Park near the Stadium, bring a small grill and some stuff to put on it and drinks and you're set. I think every time i've been there I've tailgated next to opposing team players and it's always been fun. we give each other shit and nobody has ever been a dick about it. Most of the time the parties merge. There will probably be plenty of bear fans there you can find if you want to stick with "your own kind" :) I know there will be plenty of Packer fans ready to give you crap, they'll probably give you a beer too so it all works out in the end.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my 2 favorite bars are Cock & Bull and Shenanigans, both on Main St.

Wow... I loved the Cock and Bull when I used to hit the town in Green Bay. Great bar.... I used to see Aaron Taylor there and a few other Packers.

It is over on the East Side however... (other side of Fox River from Lambeau Field), not too far from downtown.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, heading out guys. Thanks for your tips, and enjoy the game. I know I will!

Have to think you guys handle the Bears without too much trouble. I expect the Bears to play inspired, but then again… I said that before the NE game.

:suds:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be a chilly one. Mid 30s game time temp

PackManDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
richig07 - I hope you are having a good time at the game. :lol:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
richig07 - I hope you are having a good time at the game. :lol:

He's cool...hope he had a better time than the Bear's team...this is ugly.

PackManDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he's cool, he is one of the few Bears fans that seems to have any sense. I'm just giving him a hard time, as should be expected.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a part of me even felt bad for Bear's fans last night. That was ugly

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a part of me even felt bad for Bear's fans last night. That was ugly

I was there as well. I have been to many Packer/Bear games at Lambeau I have to say the fans usually start the chant in the stands "The Bears Still Suck"

I have to say when the chant started in last nights game it was the first time I had ever seen many of the Bears fans join in with the chant!:yahoo:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there as well. I have been to many Packer/Bear games at Lambeau I have to say the fans usually start the chant in the stands "The Bears Still Suck"

I have to say when the chant started in last nights game it was the first time I had ever seen many of the Bears fans join in with the chant!:yahoo:

EDIT: Sorry, kind of a TL;DR post.

A bit late getting back to you guys here, but I had an absolute blast in Green Bay… every moment right up until kickoff. lol

I can honestly also say that when they fell down 35-0 in the 2nd quarter, I sarcastically joined in with one or two of those chants as well. I've seen some god awful losses, as we all have as fans. Just apart of being a fan, but that was something totally different. There was a sick and nasty feeling surrounding the whole thing, even compared to the New England beating we got two weeks before. I couldn't even believe when other Bears fans during the week tried talking to me about individual play calls, series, drives, etc… All I could think was; "All I remember is a big blur of an ass whooping". This was the first time I totally tuned out of a Bears game. I've never before stopped counting possessions, or the turnovers it would take for the Bears to get back in a game. In this one, I truly wanted to leave the stadium in the 2nd quarter. If I hadn't come all that way, I would have.

Now, for the good… let me tell you that the Green Bay fans were seriously the nicest and classiest fans I've ever hung around. I was stunned, not because I thought you all were bad people previously. But just because I don't believe I received so much even as a tiny heckle in my Bears gear all weekend until it was 35 or 42-0 during the game itself… that's damn impressive. lol

I hit a few of the places suggested. Hit Hagemeister earlier on Saturday evening for some food and some beers. Then, later on we were told there were some bars on Washington to checkout, so we cabbed it over there and had a pretty good time bar hopping. Some spots were dead, some were a little too packed, and a couple others were pretty fun. I really don't remember which bar was which since we were heading around pretty fast, and I definitely had my fill of drinks. :yahoo:

The Sunday tailgate may have been the best part. We woke up, grabbed some coffee and then pretty much grabbed some meats at a grocery store and headed to Lambeau after being told the old Kmart lot would be open. Found a great spot, and we were immediately greeted by some nearby Packers fans who invited us a few parking spots down to watch the Noon and afternoon games on the big screen they had set up by their RV. After we got friendly, we kind of just combined our tailgate. It was pretty awesome. I even threw in on a parlay for the afternoon games with this Packers fan who said he had a buddy in the lot who ran a book, and wouldn't you know we hit for a couple hundred bucks each? lol… can't get much better than going to an away game to watch your team and making a good chunk of your money back that you spent.

Ended up heading to Stadium View for a beer before heading into the game. The game sucked… but hey. It was a memorable time, and thanks to all of you guys who made suggestions. I hit as many as I could.

:suds: Cheers! You guys have a very classy fan base!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sunday tailgate may have been the best part. We woke up, grabbed some coffee and then pretty much grabbed some meats at a grocery store and headed to Lambeau after being told the old Kmart lot would be open. Found a great spot, and we were immediately greeted by some nearby Packers fans who invited us a few parking spots down to watch the Noon and afternoon games on the big screen they had set up by their RV. After we got friendly, we kind of just combined our tailgate. It was pretty awesome. I even threw in on a parlay for the afternoon games with this Packers fan who said he had a buddy in the lot who ran a book, and wouldn't you know we hit for a couple hundred bucks each? lol… can't get much better than going to an away game to watch your team and making a good chunk of your money back that you spent.

Ended up heading to Stadium View for a beer before heading into the game. The game sucked… but hey. It was a memorable time, and thanks to all of you guys who made suggestions. I hit as many as I could.

:suds: Cheers! You guys have a very classy fan base!

Good to hear... was at least hoping you got to enjoy the experience since the game was not the best to watch (unless a Packers fan).

Sounds like your typical Packers fans and glad they treated you well. But you and your group probably deserve a tip of the hat as well if you did not even encounter the slightest non sense from any Packers fan.

Vic over at Packers.com who was former reporter for Steelers and Jaguars and grew up near Pittsburgh calls the Packers fan base "winsome"..... I had to look up the word first time he ever used it.