• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Get to the game fans

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the fact that they had the two open practices does not mean no one shows up to the spring game....this game is one of the most direct ways we as fans can influence our program, show the current team we are behind them and show future recruits what the mountaineer nation is all about. At many of the other name programs this is a big time event.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard rumors that around 10,000 tickets have been sold to the blue gold game.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice place to visit i could never live there, was stationed at Camp Pendleton for a while. Enjoy man.

You going to make it to the Maryland game this year?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice place to visit i could never live there, was stationed at Camp Pendleton for a while. Enjoy man.

You going to make it to the Maryland game this year?

Definitley! We should connect there!:suds:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be suprised if the attendance number is a lil down this year. Many fans that went to one of the open practices won't head to Morgantown (thinking Charleston area) after just seeing them last week. Good move by Dana and co. by getting them downstate for exposure and IMO it will pay off long term but I won't be shocked if the numbers are down from other years.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good crowd today, I think it was a good showing for the team.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good crowd today, I think it was a good showing for the team.

I think I saw you. Weren't you the guy wearing WVU gear? Not a bad crowd, but when you hear that Penn State brought in over 80,000, makes you wonder. It was a beautiful day to sit in the stands yesterday. We even went and caught some of the baseball game before going to Wings Ole and heading home.

Backs looked fast. Shell needs to turn it on and stop spinning ever carry. He went into a spin about 3 yards ahead of the defender. The defender waited for him to finish and then planted him. Garrison looked good as did Smallwood. I didn't see Buie get a carry, but he had a hell of a peel back/crack back block during a play. Seems as if a bulk of the caries went to Garrison, Smallwood, and Shell.

KJ Meyers, please use 2 hands and control the ball until the play is finished. When the coach comes back to you on the very next play, using the same route, make a better effort to catch the ball! White looked like a beast, physically, and hopefully he will be able to use the apparent muscle he put on to his advantage.

IMO, somebody needs to step up and take control of the QB position or it could be another long season. I will have to reserve judgment because in a scrimmage like this, I'm not sure if the defense was that good or if the QBs were that bad. If I have to go with my gut feeling, our QBs are that bad right now.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol yeah I had the blue WVU shirt on..should have come over for a beer!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol yeah I had the blue WVU shirt on..should have come over for a beer!

We parked in the lot by the parking garage across from the Medical PRT station. Walking to the stadium, we walked through an area, by the apartments in that area, that reeked of 'old' beer. What memories! The construction and parking restrictions by the stadium seemed to cut down on tailgating activities, but then again, we were getting to our seats and just missed seeing the KO TD return. We stopped in Waynesburg and had a late breakfast with my Mother. Bob Evans was s-l-o-w!

I ran into Shannon Lyle while I was there. One of a handful, or two, 7 footers who made the basketball team. He didn't play too much but a nice guy. He is doing social work in Baltimore and has a couple other things going on in the area.

There was a nice return of former players. This was my first Spring game in a long, long, long time. I hope that former players will make this a tradition. I'm hoping to make it one as well now that I'm back in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a pretty crazy trip on Saturday. We left DC around 5 am, had breakfast with some old friends in Petersburg WV. Paid respects to some family members in Petersburg and Thomas WV. Drove to Morgantown for the game, then got back in the car and headed back to DC. WE drove 545 miles round trip, but a great day for it.

I hear what you are saying with the comparison to Penn St spring game, but 10,000 or so people for ours compared to what it used to be isn’t that bad. I remember some years we were lucky to have 1000.

Biggest question for most is at QB and the one thing I was looking for the most was how quickly the offense could run. Last year we seemed half huddle and half hurry up. I thought for the most part all the QB's ran the offense efficiently. From my vantage point there didn't seem to be many broken plays or confusion from the sideline on Saturday which is a giant step from last year. Even Howard who has been here for a couple of months seemed to know what he was doing. Moore was the only one who tested the down field coverage.

Smallwood seems as good as advertised and his versatility should let us run multiple formations with same personnel. Garrision looked good. Buie did not touch the ball that often, but was doing the little things you need guys to do. Shell was impressive physically, did not blow me away on the field. RB’s did not have any big gainers; longest run was by Moore for 28 yards.

WR’s had a up and down day IMO. Alford was inconsistent at the beginning and then disappeared. (Worley had some to do with that) White made a couple of nice plays; the TD catch in the end zone was a good play. Same as with the backs that big play was shut down. Thompson had his long catch and was caught from behind. Shorts did not do much of anything besides the 6 yard shovel pass play.

Starting o line looked good….Millard seemed to be able to sit back and read the field. As a group they gave up three sacks on the day…would have been more, but Howard made some impressive last second decisions.
I had trouble keeping up with the defense and who did what…a lot of the players had the same numbers as other players. Things that stood out to me were the open field tackling seemed improved and the speed on this defense is everywhere. We have a tough schedule and I have said before I am not sure what a successful season on defense will be for us in the Big 12. Wins measures a team’s success so that is all that matter having said that I would not be surprised if this defense improves drastically across the board in many areas. The unit seemed to move in unison for the most part and lined up as quickly as the offense.

To me it keeps coming down to the same issue, can one of these QB’s take charge of this team. Moore seemed like a real QB instead of just a guy filling in until we get more bodies…if he can work on his accuracy I would take a shot on him….his mobility alone gives us that extra weapon. Millard is Millard, four years and footwork is not that much improved. Howard did not seem like he was that far behind on system, needs to work on decision making.

Overall this team IMO has a different feel to it; I think we are going to see improvement in our record and overall performance game to game. :suds:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post DC.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing i forgot to add.....the fullbacks deserve more action. The group as a whole played hard and made plays when asked. Clay, Wellman, and Hope seemed to be bringing it hard every time on the field. One play that stood out to me(even though it was a loss of yards on the play) was a simple hand off to Shell. Wellman came up and knocked the first guy on his a$$. The o line missed the blocks that caused the loss, if they would have made their blocks it would have been a big gainer. TE/FB were impressive.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Think next year the open practices need to be taken to Different locations still and I'm thinking Martinsburg for the DC area and dare I say it,Pittsburgh, To give us even more exposure in Southern PA

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Think next year the open practices need to be taken to Different locations still and I'm thinking Martinsburg for the DC area and dare I say it,Pittsburgh, To give us even more exposure in Southern PA

We could even have the spring game at heinz field.