• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Injury Discussion

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto's next time to pitch is this Wednesday. That is Suarez' next turn in the rotation. Samardzija is probably going to start a weekend game against Saint Louis. Holland, Bumgarner and Stratton are lined up Friday through Sunday. Samardzija will make probably his final rehab start tonight in Sacramento (hope he does well or gets another rehab appearance if he doesn't. He could start two more games after today before the 30 day window is up). I hope the rotation shakes out, if Samardzija truly is healthy, like this:

Bumgarner
Samardzija
Cueto
Suarez
Rodriguez

Not counting Samardzija's awful stats, Stratton has the highest WHIP and ERA among the 6 pitchers. I say send him down to Sacramento to stay sharp every 5 days. Holland is the next worse among the group, so I'd like to see him send to the bullpen and Pierce Johnson optioned to Sacramento (move Roberto Gomez to the 60 day at this point). However, I think Suarez is more likely to get optioned to Sacramento as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto's next time to pitch is this Wednesday. That is Suarez' next turn in the rotation. Samardzija is probably going to start a weekend game against Saint Louis. Holland, Bumgarner and Stratton are lined up Friday through Sunday. Samardzija will make probably his final rehab start tonight in Sacramento (hope he does well or gets another rehab appearance if he doesn't. He could start two more games after today before the 30 day window is up). I hope the rotation shakes out, if Samardzija truly is healthy, like this:

Bumgarner
Samardzija
Cueto
Suarez
Rodriguez

Not counting Samardzija's awful stats, Stratton has the highest WHIP and ERA among the 6 pitchers. I say send him down to Sacramento to stay sharp every 5 days. Holland is the next worse among the group, so I'd like to see him send to the bullpen and Pierce Johnson optioned to Sacramento (move Roberto Gomez to the 60 day at this point). However, I think Suarez is more likely to get optioned to Sacramento as well.
Strick and Longo both can be moved to 60.

Reactions: LHG

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go....

Cueto to start Thursday, Rodriguez on Friday, Sammy on Saturday and Bumgarner on Sunday. Holland will pitch out of the Pen.
From MCC:

Cueto and Samardzija to return this week; rookies to retain rotation spots for now

Derek Holland will move to bullpen immediately and according to Henry Schulman, serve as Cueto’s backup if he falters, unless Stratton or Suarez need emergency relief (which, let’s face it, is a very real possibility). This move in particular comes as a surprise because it means that the Giants have eschewed their veteran lean and simply looked at the performances and upside of the remaining contenders.

And then there’s one more thing to factor in:

The idea of the Giants moving Holland, Blach, and Johnson around like that feels very out of character for the Giants. You’d figure one of the three rotation guys (Stratton, Rodriguez, and Suarez), just based on the overwhelming history of the front office, but if it does shake out this way, then it would signal that the Giants are going to approach their modicum of success this season with vigor and really try to make the most of it.

Certainly, rushing Cueto and Samardzija back before the break is a sign that they really want to know what they have before the trade deadline. For all the fans who’ve been calling for Samardzija’s release, the Giants are certainly trying to put themselves in a position where they have to decide just exactly what they can do with him this season. You have to like their aggressiveness.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandoval apparently sprained his thumb on the dive play today (even though he stayed in the game and even hit an EWS after). He will be evaluated tomorrow to determine the seriousness of the injury.

Gorkys’ injury is being described as “minor” and shouldn’t miss any time.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the team website:
"The Giants' medical staff said Tuesday that second baseman Joe Panik, who's on the 10-day disabled list with a strained left groin, could be sidelined for only three weeks."

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Hank on twitter:

Can fill in some of the roster blanks about which I've been hearing bits and pieces. Sounds like Longoria will be activated and Stratton will be promoted to fill a long relief spot vacated by Holland's return to the DL. Assuming Belt to DL and someone on the bench optioned...

.... because the #SFGiants have been down a pitcher and up a bencher. With Longoria up I imagine one of the infielders would go down. Kelby has been this year's yo-yo. We'll know soon.

I was unaware Hollturd is hurt. Interesting.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Hank:

Sorry, a little fatigued today. Holland not going on the DL. I meant his return to the ROTATION.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is remarkable honestly and probably a year and a half's worth of frustration from Cueto. I wouldn't expect to see him the rest of the year, and at this point I'm thinking TJ is on the table, which basically means 2020.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is remarkable honestly and probably a year and a half's worth of frustration from Cueto. I wouldn't expect to see him the rest of the year, and at this point I'm thinking TJ is on the table, which basically means 2020.

That should have happened almost three months ago. Samardzija and Cueto are exhibits A & B why lying about not being injured and playing through the pain is a stupid, pointless expectation for MLB players.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandoval out for the year. He will have surgery on his hammy in the coming days.

Too bad. He was a real asset this year and reportedly in the running for the Willie Mac. The guy really turned himself around. Sad to see him hit this wall.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandoval out for the year. He will have surgery on his hammy in the coming days.

Too bad. He was a real asset this year and reportedly in the running for the Willie Mac. The guy really turned himself around. Sad to see him hit this wall.

Man, how things change, eh? We weren't exactly sad when he went to Boston, and many of us were unhappy when we signed him (for next to nothing) when the Red Sox released him. But as you say, he has been a very valuable player this year for this team (and at great cost savings!). Sad his season ended like this.