• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gameday!!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright everyone its gameday! Anyone have any thoughts on the OB tonight, keys to the game, predictions, etc? Here is my take.

Looking at stats only, these teams are very evenly matched in all categories (offense, defense, and ST). They are very well coached and like to play tough defense and run the ball, as well as pass - balanced offenses for the most part. I think it will be a close game that could be decided by turnovers and/or special teams. VT's defense will have its hands full and Bud will need to have a great night calling the right play, blitz, stunt, coverage at the right time. It will be a chess match between Foster and Harbaugh and Co. all night. Our guys in the trenches will be crucial, Luck has picked defenses apart all season and getting pressure on him will be a key to the game. The Hokies' secondary will have to play lights out and not give up any big plays. On offense I believe if VT plays wide open, mixes it up running and passing (yes on 1st down too Stiney) we can put up some points on the Stanford D. I think the X factor will be T2. The only loss Stanford had this year was against Oregon. Their QB Darron Thomas (dual threat - similar to Tyrod) ran for 117 yds on 15 attempts with 1 TD. He also threw for 200+. Taylor is better than Thomas. He is the best QB they will have seen this year. James also torched the Stanford D for 200+ and 3TD. It would be great if Beamer and Stiney put in a bit of no huddle/hurry-up during the bowl practices similar to what Oregon does to keep the Stanford D off balance at times. VT is easily the best team they have seen since in almost 3 months.

My keys to the game:
--turnovers and special teams, field position
--Pressure on Luck, penetration from the D-Line to slow down the running game and to make the young guy sweat a little.
--O-Line needs to play well, VT needs to be able to run the ball control the clock some, keep Luck off the field. One of more of our running backs (I am predicting Evans) needs to have a solid game.
---Tyrod Taylor will be the difference, he will have a huge game and cement his legacy as the one of the best (IMO-only behind Vick) QB's to ever wear the maroon and orange.

Prediction--VT 38 Stanford 35 (in a barn-burner)

Thoughts anyone???? I am sure 46 is putting together something for this..

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not, actually. i was too busy on the D Line thing.

I like the Hokies in the game with a score of 34-21, but a closer game than that. A throw away touchdown at the end. The distractions with Luck and Harbaugh are a little too much for the Cardinal and Darren Evans runs wild on the Stanford defense.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not, actually. i was too busy on the D Line thing.

I like the Hokies in the game with a score of 34-21, but a closer game than that. A throw away touchdown at the end. The distractions with Luck and Harbaugh are a little too much for the Cardinal and Darren Evans runs wild on the Stanford defense.

VT eleventy billion
Stanford negative-12
But the game will be closer than the scoreboard indicates:D

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well that got ugly quick. We havnt played that bad in the second half in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that got ugly quick. We havnt played that bad in the second half in a long time.

Boy I was wrong. Embarrassing. I thought VT had a chance to win this one if they brought their "A" game. And they did not. They were obviously overmatched, out schemed, and outplayed by a better team. The O-Line and D-Line were manhandled this game. No depth. I have been saying for quite some time this is why VT cannot win against top ten teams. While we have had some good O-Linemen and D-Linemen, They simply are not elite players who can completely take over a game like the Ohio State, Alabama (SEC in teams in general), Big 12 (Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska) teams in college football. We can complete and win in the ACC every year but until we get some ELITE Offensive Linemen year in and out we won't win these games. I'm not talking about "athletic" converted tight ends. I'm talking about cornfed bruisers who steam roll everyone in their path. This is a disappointing end to a good season. VT will be improved and more experienced up front next year. Hopefully the O-Line will be much better. I know LT has some wheels but not like TT.